AMD Kaveri with SteamrollerB, GCN HSA, Audio Cop, PCI-3 SSD Features Surface

jww20

Weaksauce
AMD Kaveri APU advanced features and production details surfacing:

2_m.png

http://wccftech.com/amd-launches-kaveri-apu-skus-february-2014-feature-set-a10-a8-apus-detailed/

Last edited:
Lol you beat me to it. Was gonna post this.

Looks like all of my (and many others) speculation of bdver3b (Steamroller 2.0) was correct. I guess that leaked module die shot was legit after all!

Very interesting how it says console-class performance (i.e. PS4 and X1). Kaveri will be a beast part.

edit: Just double-checked, it didn't mention console-performance, just the PS4-style TrueAudio co-processor. Whoops!

Last edited:
Lol you beat me to it. Was gonna post this.

Looks like all of my (and many others) speculation of bdver3b (Steamroller 2.0) was correct. I guess that leaked module die shot was legit after all!

Very interesting how it says console-class performance (i.e. PS4 and X1). Kaveri will be a beast part.

The scalablilty extending from a high performance mini-ITX Steam PC engine to a medium cost Apple Macbook Media/Gaming laptop to all around the house AIO PC entertainment system is now becoming within reach of everyone!

Yeah, that is definitely a big plus here. Can't wait to see what tweaks they did to the x86 cores for bdver3b.

Werd, one of my friends may be waiting to grab one of these on release. I wonder when we will get the rest of the specs.

Very cool. Ive been dying for some new info on the new chips sporting Steamroller architecture. Im aching to upgrade my CPU so good to see some new information on these things.

Deffinatly looking forward to these chips :) make a nice little steam box

Waiting for Excavator and Pirate Island before I get a new rig, 20nm should help a lot with power drain.

So I understand that Kaveri is going to push the limits of APUs but what type of real world performance should users who are currently on A10s or even Core i5s expecting from this release. The details look very promising, but it seems as though AMD is playing catchup with the SSD feature and sleep states and adding audio and video processing (console level) as the big bonus here. Too many times have I looked forward to new AMD products to be disappointed. I`m hoping this time is different.

I'm greatly interested in what the new A10s will offer my customers, and my media center is running on a Phenom II with a 6870. one of these 'suprer' A10s would replace the whole setup.

The fact it's using a GPU that's between a Radeon 7750/7770 and a Radeon 7790 is very promising. A 7770 is already Radeon 5770-level performance, and when I had that card, it was really good. I had such great times with it on computer. It's going to be interesting when we get to Kaveri refresh or Excavator APUs. A GPU between a Radeon 7790/R7 260X to 7850, or even a 7870-level GPU would really shake up the integrated GPU space. With process shrinks and die improvements, it might be possible in a couple more years.

Excavator might take a long while.

Excavator = Carrizo = Q1 2015, basically a year after initial Kaveri launch.

Excavator will be insane at 20nm. Die-shrink + HDL + massive x86 performance increase + even stronger Pirate Islands-based GPU = :eek:

granted, but then again intel has been rather backward with SATA3 support.

swings and roundabouts, and i'm pretty sure that Intel has nothing available with dedicated PCIe .M2 support...

I want an AMD APU with Core i7 2600k performance and OC headroom, with Wattage like a Haswell and an onboard GPU comparable to the Radeon 7950....Get to it AMD.

granted, but then again intel has been rather backward with SATA3 support.

swings and roundabouts, and i'm pretty sure that Intel has nothing available with dedicated PCIe .M2 support...

good points but the point im trying to make is that is this enough to compete with the titan aka Intels Core lineup. Currently APUs are good at gaming and entertainment, or any GPU intensive task. Intel even with their highly touted Iris Pro graphics are not on the same level as AMD, and by all forecasts are not going to catch up with them anytime soon.
On the flip side Intel's compute performance is on another level, in addition to its power consumption. AMD APUs fail miserably on that end. Thats why Im looking forward to Kaveri, hopefully AMD can turn this around somewhat. Bring us a component that matches Haswell's performance, give Intel some real mainstream competition.

I want an AMD APU with Core i7 2600k performance and OC headroom, with Wattage like a Haswell and an onboard GPU comparable to the Radeon 7950....Get to it AMD.

Lets aim for Haswell, so the difference isnt that great! Oh man if that happens, AMD can price this relative to Haswell and there will be takers for sure.

People should stop expecting them to magically catch up to Haswell in one generation when the current implementation is the same speed of Phenom II. SR v2 will be a big boost over Piledriver, but don't expect miracles.

People should stop expecting them to magically catch up to Haswell in one generation when the current implementation is the same speed of Phenom II. SR v2 will be a big boost over Piledriver, but don't expect miracles.

Yeah, I don't expect Steamroller to magically meet Haswell level of performance. It would be nice, but that would be like shooting for the Moon with a 3-foot model rocket. I would probably expect Excavator modules to match at minimum Haswell but would be surprised that it matches Skylake when it's released around the same year. AMD has been doing steady (but slow) progress at improving the modular cores started with Bulldozer with each generation. At least they are being improved on little by little.

We have to all remember that AMD has neither the same number of engineers, research funding, number of fabrication facilities, and revenue to fund the development of processors to be 1-to-1 parity with Intel processors. That'll never happen now or in the future. At best, we can only hope that AMD can use what little they have efficiently and fully to build processors that perform well and are affordable at the same time.

It's like trying to expect Buick to magically match a Bentley. It won't happen.

All of that^, +1.

Everything considered, it's actually really impressive that AMD has even managed to survive this long, let alone achieve all they're doing right now with such miniscule resources compared to 'Chipzilla'.

hehe just another 4 months or so and we can see if those numbers are real. Supposedly there should be some info revealed at APU13 event (mid november) looking forward to that

hehe just another 4 months or so and we can see if those numbers are real. Supposedly there should be some info revealed at APU13 event (mid november) looking forward to that

Wouldn't the first chips be the APUs with slightly lower performance than the full "FX" chips?

I'd consider one of these for a SteamBox/HTPC/SFF or server box (I'm sure the proc can handle being a file server, but I'd also like to say... host a Minecraft server, LAMP stack, an OwnCloud or Kolab setup locally), provided that Linux support is sufficient. I hope that Asus et al start putting out high end A88X mATX and mITX offerings.

Wow! that is very promising, 35% increase in integer performance over bulldozer? Hell yes!

Looks carefully, that 35% increase over bulldozer and ONLY for some specific integer benchmarks. Amd's integer performance isn't too bad...but it's single threaded IPC FPU performance is terrible.

It's the FPU performance increase that we should all be paying attention to. The engineering samples are showing at 23% FPU performance increase. So Kaveri is shaping up to be closer to Intel nehalem level performance within ~10%. Haswell is another 10-20% faster.

Last edited:
will there be a new chipset/socket for Kaveri? or will they stick to x88 and FM2+?

From everything leaked/revealed so far, Kaveri APUs are socket FM2+ and A88X and A55 chipsets.

The refresh will probably be another chipset, and Excavator will be an entirely new socket and chipset again if AMD moves towards DDR4.

I'm definitely putting one of these Kaveri's in my new HTPC build.

If I grow impatient, I may just get an A88X FM2+ mini-itx board, and get the cheapest used FM2 chip I can from ebay to hold me over until Kaveri hits.

Zarathustra[H];1040369829 said:
I'm definitely putting one of these Kaveri's in my new HTPC build.

If I grow impatient, I may just get an A88X FM2+ mini-itx board, and get the cheapest used FM2 chip I can from ebay to hold me over until Kaveri hits.

Yeah, I'm getting the Athlon 760K to tide me over....

just saw the amd presentation intro
they showed a kaveri video with fraps
kaveri vs 4770k + nvidia 620 in bf4 @ 1080p
30 fps vs 11 fps and no mantle.

Anandtech article about it, Kaveri initial availability = Jan. 14th
http://www.anandtech.com/show/7507/amd-kaveri-apu-launch-details-desktop-january-14th

Well, hot damn, I am impressed.

I am hoping developers pick this up. The hUMA and hQ features look very promising.

The benefits of this will be seen when developers and even major OS developers like Microsoft adopt this and bake it into already-existing programs and operating systems. Maybe a future Windows 7/8.1 native driver and/or kernel update to support these features natively. I'd imagine there'd be an actual processing and performance boost inside Windows if it supports it.

Back