AMD? Intel?

ish003

n00b
Hey guys just have a newbie question.

Any difference between AMD and Intel CPUs?

More cores = faster cpu?

For example: Im going to start up a new rig and was browsing for CPUs.

I plan on buying buying this intel cpu

Intel Core i5-3470 Ivy Bridge 3.2GHz (3.6GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 2500 BX80637i53470
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115234

but i was browsing on newegg and AMD has the

AMD FX-8350 Vishera 4.0GHz (4.2GHz Turbo) Socket AM3+ 125W Eight-Core Desktop Processor FD8350FRHKBOX.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819113284

is 8core amd faster than the 4core intel? I only difference i can tell is the .6GHZ but im still new at this.

any benefits for either one ? both are same price.

I think the 8350 will be faster in most things, and probably everything multi-threaded.

the 3470 doesn't have HT, so its' 4cores/4threads, slower turbo speed on single threaded loads, so single threaded might be close, even intel win, but AMD should take the cake in mostly everything else here.

(except power consumption)

I think the 8350 will be faster in most things, and probably everything multi-threaded.

the 3470 doesn't have HT, so its' 4cores/4threads, slower turbo speed on single threaded loads, so single threaded might be close, even intel win, but AMD should take the cake in mostly everything else here.

(except power consumption)

clock for clock that i5 will beat the 8350. What that 8350 has going for it is that it can overclock whereas the i5 OP selected cannot.

@OP I almost always recommend buying the best you can up front, if you can stretch it to afford a 3570k cpu then I would definitely get it, as that's the best bang for your buck gaming CPU available.

clock for clock that i5 will beat the 8350. What that 8350 has going for it is that it can overclock whereas the i5 OP selected cannot.

@OP I almost always recommend buying the best you can up front, if you can stretch it to afford a 3570k cpu then I would definitely get it, as that's the best bang for your buck gaming CPU available.

meh, for people not planning on OCing, and people on a tighter budget, AMD wins hands down IMO :)

OP: What do you use your computer for? I think the i5 would be best for gaming, and the AMD 8 core would be best for productivity and multi tasking. The AMD would probably run a little hotter.

Not entirely true:

LVgO9.jpg

You can actually boost the speed by + 400 MHz (if you buy a z75 or Z77 motherboard), which puts the i5 in a much more competitive light. Even overclocked to 4.5 GHz, the 8350 will not outperform it (but it will certainly use more power)!

The multiplier-bumped i5-3470 will perform faster than a (stock) Core i5 3570K.

i dont plan on overclocking to be honest since i have no clue how to do it. still new with computers but the more i learn that will def be a option. I just want to go all out on a gaming computer. i saw the 8 cores and got curious to see what the dif between the two really were.

so basically if i were to only play games the i5 would be a better fit and if i wanted to multitask the 8350 would be better?

thanks for the help guys im learning alot.

Last edited:
i dont plan on overclocking to be honest since i have no clue how to do it. still new with computers but the more i learn that will def be a option. I just want to go all out on a gaming computer. i saw the 8 cores and got curious to see what the dif between the two really were.

so basically if i were to only play games the i5 would be a better fit and if i wanted to multitask the 8350 would be better?

thanks for the help guys im learning alot.

IF you are not going to be overclocking, the 8350 should be faster in "most" things, and slightly slower in games.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6396/the-vishera-review-amd-fx8350-fx8320-fx6300-and-fx4300-tested/5

Simple enough: for gaming, go intel. For multi-threaded workloads, or heavily virtualised environments, go AMD 6+ core. I sell quite a few gaming machines where I work, and if you are comfortable OCing, AMD is great (83xx series, not 81xx) but if you want a bitching gaming rig without having to play around in bios or pay for after-market cooling, go the i5 and a decent card.

If your hurting for money go AMD, if its coming out of your ears then intel. I havnt seen a huge difference compared to a high end amd and intel cpu while gaming. Im picking up a 2600k and asus sabertooth for $300.

Simple enough: for gaming, go intel. For multi-threaded workloads, or heavily virtualised environments, go AMD 6+ core. I sell quite a few gaming machines where I work, and if you are comfortable OCing, AMD is great (83xx series, not 81xx) but if you want a bitching gaming rig without having to play around in bios or pay for after-market cooling, go the i5 and a decent card.

+1 for AMD with VM farms.
+1 for Intel with serious gaming.

Both are good procs.

You might want to focus on a good PSU and graphics card more than on the CPU.

yea i probably go intel then since i will mainly focus on gaming with this build. vid card ill prob get a gtx670 with a 750w psu. i wont be overclocking anytime soon. Thanks for your responses guy help out alot.

Do you live near a Micro Center? In some cases they subsidize or set processor prices low, lower than Newegg.

In how many games are stock Intel chips with a similar price going to show a noticeable improvement over an 8350, since he isn't OCing?

I don't think games are pushing CPUs that hard, the 2600K releases are almost two years old and breezing through em. And a gamer may only have the game open, or they may be running other programs and using more cores.

i just check on there website there is a store located about 30 mins / 17miles from where i live. ill check it out this weekend. are they really good? i usually get my stuff from new egg so i dont know much about other places.

i just check on there website there is a store located about 30 mins / 17miles from where i live. ill check it out this weekend. are they really good? i usually get my stuff from new egg so i dont know much about other places.

Yes, since they constantly sell CPU and motherboard combos at a loss.

Figure out your budget, check and see what Intel based and AMD based motherboards MicroCenter sells, then go there and see what combo deals they have for both that fit your budget so you can get the best bang for your buck.

MicroCenter is like NewEgg WAS about 10 years ago, except in B&M form and available in many locales. Buy from a MicroCenter before you consider looking at NewEgg, if you have the option.

Back