AMD Hits Highest-Ever x86 CPU Market Share in Q1 2024 Across Desktop and Server

erek

[H]F Junkie
"The company has also made major inroads on the data center front with its EPYC server CPUs. AMD's ability to supply capable yet affordable processors has enabled cloud providers and enterprises to scale operations on AMD's platform. Several leading tech giants have embraced EPYC, contributing to AMD's surging server market footprint. Now, it is at 23.6%, a significant increase over the past few years, whereas AMD was just above 10% four years ago in 2020. AMD lost some share to Intel on the mobile PC front due to the Meteor Lake ramp, but it managed to gain a small percentage of the market share of client PCs. As AMD rides the momentum into the second half of 2024, all eyes will be on whether the chipmaker can sustain this trajectory and potentially claim an even larger slice of the x86 CPU pie from Intel in the coming quarters."

1715376185959.png

Source: https://www.techpowerup.com/322317/...et-share-in-q1-2024-across-desktop-and-server

Ryzen was a big step in the right direction, where AMD CPU's could compete with Intel's CPU's on a more level basis. It's no surprise that the increase in AMD's share of the market came with the introduction of Ryzen.

Prior to this, CPU's on the AM3 platform were rather underwhelming when it came to more vigorous applications (and games), and AMD's sweet spot seemed to be more in the APU market, where the on-chip GPU was actually respectable for entry level stuff, even some gaming.

Not surprised, since AMD is managing to market their products seemingly better well actually having a good product. In the meantime, as good as Intel is, they are having real issues which will probably effect their long term stock prices and their bottom line.

Reactions: DPI
like this
That kind of sudden change if well calculated look like some big Laptop sellers moved their focus on AMD during that time....

That kind of sudden change if well calculated look like some big Laptop sellers moved their focus on AMD during that time....
AMD does quite well on midrange laptops, with a decent graphics solution, good cpu performance, and reasonable power envelope. They aren't so great in ultra low power, and you could go either way in the gaming laptop space.

I'd say they're in a pretty good spot right now, and there are more improvements coming.

AMD does quite well on midrange laptops, with a decent graphics solution, good cpu performance, and reasonable power envelope. They aren't so great in ultra low power, and you could go either way in the gaming laptop space.

I'd say they're in a pretty good spot right now, and there are more improvements coming.
Yeah, they're definitely my preferred laptop CPU as I use thin and light gaming laptops (currently a Razer Blade 14 2024 4070; previously an ASUS Zephyrus G14 2023 4060 - both with basically the same CPU - 7940HS to 8945HS). Cool, great performance, and really good battery. Intel still reigns supreme for laptop single core which is still surprisingly important for gaming...

Yeah, they're definitely my preferred laptop CPU as I use thin and light gaming laptops (currently a Razer Blade 14 2024 4070; previously an ASUS Zephyrus G14 2023 4060 - both with basically the same CPU - 7940HS to 8945HS). Cool, great performance, and really good battery. Intel still reigns supreme for laptop single core which is still surprisingly important for gaming...
I really wonder how much of that is just legacy in engines and could be improved, and how much is just kinda inherently how games work. It seems like being single-core bound has been an issue in all kind of game engines, and of course we've had multi-core CPUs for a long time. It isn't like games don't use more cores, but it always seems to come down to one main thread that is the bottleneck.

Maybe we need to go even more on the hybrid CPU architecture: In addition to P and E cores, have one X core that is overly large and power hungry, but can really hammer out single core performance for games, even though it is not particularly energy efficient.

Thats good to see how well they are doing. Hopefully Intel gets their shit together to bring something designed as well as AMD without using 350w+ to compete.

Competition is good!

I really wonder how much of that is just legacy in engines and could be improved, and how much is just kinda inherently how games work. It seems like being single-core bound has been an issue in all kind of game engines, and of course we've had multi-core CPUs for a long time. It isn't like games don't use more cores, but it always seems to come down to one main thread that is the bottleneck.

Maybe we need to go even more on the hybrid CPU architecture: In addition to P and E cores, have one X core that is overly large and power hungry, but can really hammer out single core performance for games, even though it is not particularly energy efficient.
Games get weird if you try to really push them across threads it’s very easy to enter deadlock states or find yourself waiting for memory access.

Back