AMD HD 7000 Delayed to 2012

Lord_Exodia

Supreme [H]ardness
Let's be clear, beacuse the more astute community members clicked on this thread already intending on posting... "Nothing can be delayed because nothing was officially announced"

That's true, and that is a techichality and that's why a company doesn't stick their neck out as to not disappoint. Also they hate bad press. However although nothing was officially announced It was mentioned by AMD's CEO via conference calls that they planned on introducing the 7000 series gpu's to market in Q4 of this year.

All in all, this story is a confirmation from AMD themselves that you aren't going to see any 7000 series GPU's for sale this year.

Here is the story.

http://www.nordichardware.com/news/71-graphics/44180-amd-hd-7000-delayed-to-2012.html

Not surprised. It makes no sense to make a trickle out debut like the 5000 series when you still have a strong 6000 series to sell off.

haha sucks for them... Oh well most of us have good video cards anyhow..

Was looking forward to the 7xxx. Looks like I'll be waiting a bit longer. I'll be tempted to go for a 69x0 (already have been) but if I use my head I'll keep waiting for the new ones.

As disappointing as it is, it's not surprising. The HD5 series launch was bad enough, I think the HD7 series would have been even worse for availability if it had come out before christmas.

With how far ahead current gen cards are compared to consoles it doesn't matter that much.

With how far ahead current gen cards are compared to consoles it doesn't matter that much.

+1 have to agree with this. A lot of games are console ports, what does it matter really until the next wave of consoles are released?

This is good. When both AMD and Nvidia release their new series of cards early next year, it will be easier to compare price and performance. Instead of comparing a card that was released in Jan vs September. It will also lower the cost of these cards I hope.

It also says that the HD 6000 series is hardly a year old and there is no rush to introduce the HD 7000 at the present day.

This. In one area they are actually ahead of the curve - solutions exist today to run anything you want.

solutions exist today to run anything you want.
For a single monitor this may be true, but running the top-tier games at maximum detail on eyefinity/3D Vision setups at the moment just isn't realistic. Anyone who says there is literally no reason for any more graphics power clearly doesn't know what they're talking about :p - Even at 2560x1600, I am pushing the capabilities of my pair of HD6970s in some titles, and there are plenty of people who run three times the resolution that I do.

Saw this yesterday and thought: "oh crap, really!?", then I thought: oh, not posting Nordic Hardware links anytime soon. The last couple of times, the info they relay has been debunked. I certainly hope this gets a good round of debunking as well. I want a HD7xxx for before the end of the year, but it makes sense that is might not be happening.

*sigh* trying to hold out on the 7xxx gpu's but i need need something to power up 3x30 displays.

Saw this yesterday and thought: "oh crap, really!?", then I thought: oh, not posting Nordic Hardware links anytime soon. The last couple of times, the info they relay has been debunked. I certainly hope this gets a good round of debunking as well. I want a HD7xxx for before the end of the year, but it makes sense that is might not be happening.

The reason their stuff got debunked is because they were referencing the chinese people in the expreview forum who constantly spread false info, misinformed info or blatantly lie. Every once in a while a real gem leaks out from there but you gotta sift through about 10 lies to every 1 credible and reliable information leak.

The 7000 specs that they wrote about came from there. Nordic hardware is pretty reliable if you ask me. No one is perfect though.

AMD

AMD is ahead of nvidia as far as having the architecture ready to go. If TSMC wasn't having issues, and if GLOFo was ready to handle 100% of AMD's graphics business they would have had these cards in our desktops and laptops this next quarter. Unfortunately it's out of their hands.

It IS going to be interesting seeing them both launch around the same time. Competition is good for everyone except these multi billion dollar companies.

Yep, I think it's a good thing nVidia and AMD will be releasing their next series of cards closer together. Good for competition, good for prices, good for us consumers in the long run. Don't want AMD to kick nVidia butt too badly...

*sigh* trying to hold out on the 7xxx gpu's but i need need something to power up 3x30 displays.

Exactly. My system is almost 5 years old at this point and I've decided my next system will be powerful enough to drive 3 x 30" monitors, so I'm eagerly awaiting these cards.

AMD = Another Major Delay :rolleyes:

Seriously? Their CPU's may be currently delayed, but AMD has been FANTASTIC about GPU launches thus far. If you want to talk about delays to GPUs. take a gander at Nvidia and their 400 series. Give it a rest.

Seriously? Their CPU's may be currently delayed, but AMD has been FANTASTIC about GPU launches thus far. If you want to talk about delays to GPUs. take a gander at Nvidia and their 400 series. Give it a rest.

BTW, when nVidia was blowing over with their 400 series GPUs, it used to be called ATi, not AMD :p

No seriously, AMD CPU and AMD GPU teams, for all intents and purposes, might as well be seperate.

Well, excepting the delay on the Cayman line (anyone saying otherwise, should also realize AMD let two major nVidia SKU launch during that time, and caught quite a few people away from AMD [me included]). And as a former launch era HD6950 2GB owner, I can tell you (part of?) why... look at the corner of the PCIe power plugs next time you take off the HSF ;). Someone fucked up and they had to correct it... by hand, on every launch reference board/HSF.

Been waiting for the next line of cards, even if its delayed it's better to have a product that's delayed forever then a product that sucks forever.

I wonder.... could the mobile GPUs be launched first? They are normally smaller, lower power, and have much higher sale price (though I dunno if this reflects onto the margins).

it doesnt hurt my feelings.. That will just make me feel not as bad about adding a 2nd 6850 rather then getting a faster card..

I wonder.... could the mobile GPUs be launched first? They are normally smaller, lower power, and have much higher sale price (though I dunno if this reflects onto the margins).

Been wondering about that myself since they demoed a mobile part before anything else. I had figured that they had the mobile space mostly covered with APU's, the only reason to rush mobility 28nm parts out is to get them into Intel laptops before nvidia.

Been wondering about that myself since they demoed a mobile part before anything else. I had figured that they had the mobile space mostly covered with APU's, the only reason to rush mobility 28nm parts out is to get them into Intel laptops before nvidia.

well, yeah. Though to be honest, the APUs only put up against very slim pickings of Intel solutions :( In the higher end (and more improtantly for some people, the Macbook Pro/Mac Pro are both starting to hit their final stretch) laptops like Sony's Z line or even other slim laptops, a 28nm GPU would be a welcome addition...

Too bad. I was looking forward to a new build with a new card. Now it looks everyone is delaying everything. Must be the f@cking recession!

Too bad. I was looking forward to a new build with a new card. Now it looks everyone is delaying everything. Must be the f@cking recession!

No, it's TSMC. TSMC has decided to try and do, what I call "node hopping" for lack of a better term. The size for semiconductor lithography was set up a good while ago in the ITRS. The reason is making a chip is the synthesis of a lot of technologies, which come from different places. So everyone has to be working towards a given goal. The progression of the nodes per ITRS is 45nm, 32nm, 22nm, 16nm, 11nm (it goes further back, of course). Ok well TSMC has decided to ignore that and work on "half-nodes" is you like.

They did it first with 40nm. 32nm stuff just wasn't ready, even Intel didn't have their stuff online, so TSMC worked to shrink 45nm to 40nm. It worked... But there were a lot of problems. It was much harder than the ITRS node processes they'd done before and it took them a much longer time to make it work, and then to get yields up.

Well now they've decided to just do away with 32nm entirely, and go straight for the 28nm half-node. Again, this is leading to problems. They are having difficulty with unforeseen issues (as in something will work in Cadence using the TSMC 28nm design, but won't when actually fabbed), yield problems, and so on.

Thus the answer for AMD and nVidia is to wait. Their current cards kick ass and are selling well, better to hold off, spend more time refining the design, and be able to have a solid launch, then to push something out that is maybe problematic, too expensive, and not all that available.

All in all, the half-node thing just seems to be more trouble. Intel has long maintained a "full-node only" strategy and sure enough, their 32nm process has worked great and their 22nm process is almost online.

To me it just means better, more reliable cards. And less price gouging since Nvidia and AMD will be releasing near each other. I am fine with it. Current gen is pretty decent for most demands anyway.

As long as it's in time for tax season, I see no problems.

Well that's a bummer. I've got up to $500 set aside for a new graphics card. My 5870 is just a few days shy of being two years old, and I'm itching to upgrade.

I'm not so much feeling the age of the 5870 as I am bothered that my wife's computer is on a 5670 and would greatly benefit from it.

No, it's TSMC. TSMC has decided to try and do, what I call "node hopping" for lack of a better term. The size for semiconductor lithography was set up a good while ago in the ITRS. The reason is making a chip is the synthesis of a lot of technologies, which come from different places. So everyone has to be working towards a given goal. The progression of the nodes per ITRS is 45nm, 32nm, 22nm, 16nm, 11nm (it goes further back, of course). Ok well TSMC has decided to ignore that and work on "half-nodes" is you like.

They did it first with 40nm. 32nm stuff just wasn't ready, even Intel didn't have their stuff online, so TSMC worked to shrink 45nm to 40nm. It worked... But there were a lot of problems. It was much harder than the ITRS node processes they'd done before and it took them a much longer time to make it work, and then to get yields up.

Well now they've decided to just do away with 32nm entirely, and go straight for the 28nm half-node. Again, this is leading to problems. They are having difficulty with unforeseen issues (as in something will work in Cadence using the TSMC 28nm design, but won't when actually fabbed), yield problems, and so on.

Thus the answer for AMD and nVidia is to wait. Their current cards kick ass and are selling well, better to hold off, spend more time refining the design, and be able to have a solid launch, then to push something out that is maybe problematic, too expensive, and not all that available.

All in all, the half-node thing just seems to be more trouble. Intel has long maintained a "full-node only" strategy and sure enough, their 32nm process has worked great and their 22nm process is almost online.

+1. (While this may not be 100% confirmed, I believe it & have been expecting it for a while.) This whole thing is about what TSMC can produce. I think it's unfair to call this "just another AMD delay" - this should have been expected considering the problems at 28nm. My advice to people hoping to upgrade to the 7000 series in 2011 was always "good luck" - I figured any cards that were actually released would be super difficult to get ahold of, we'd be paying eBay resale prices.

I also don't think this means AMD and nV are now releasing at about the same time, seems more likely the entire timeline will be pushed back and nV will still be a few months behind. Nothing like the 400 series (we hope), but AMD is definitely still ahead.

As for half-nodes, I thought TSMC had been doing that back to 55nm and 80nm. Obviously it's been a big problem since 40nm though. What we really need is Intel operating fabs for other customers, seems to me they've got the best fab/process engineers in the world.

Back