AMD graphics card launch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please explain the difference.

When AMD does it, it is a preview. When anyone else does it, it's a paper launch.

When AMD has a proprietary API it's great. When anyone else has a proprietary API it's evil.

When other companies are in consoles, consoles suck. When AMD is in consoles they are better than PCs

If other companies are doing bad, they deserve it and should go out of business. If AMD is doing bad, we should help them because we need competition.

All bad rumors about AMD are false, all good rumors are 100% true.

AMD rebadging is a smart strategy. Anyone else rebadging is just awful.

AMD high prices are great because they are just following the market. Anyone else is price gouging.

The list goes on and on. Hopefully this clears some things up. If you read through the forums enough you will find examples of what I wrote above.

Was just reading through the R9 page at AMD's website. The PowerTune description was quite amusing =)

"AMD PowerTune technology
Here is some more description text. It's just as awesome as the other description text. And like the link, the heading is quite nice. Once again, a good little bit of content."

Results after release should be interesting. I hope nvidia's response will be also, whatever it is in regards to Mantle.

that's hilarious :D. nice find.

When AMD does it, it is a preview. When anyone else does it, it's a paper launch.

When AMD has a proprietary API it's great. When anyone else has a proprietary API it's evil.

When other companies are in consoles, consoles suck. When AMD is in consoles they are better than PCs

If other companies are doing bad, they deserve it and should go out of business. If AMD is doing bad, we should help them because we need competition.

AMD high prices are great because they are just following the market. Anyone else is price gouging.

The list goes on and on. Hopefully this clears some things up. If you read through the forums enough you will find examples of what I wrote above.

To be honest I see this on the internet a lot lately. AMD has a lot of vocal fanboys around, and I'm not sure why because they haven't been winning the performance wars very often. They launch a product, win for a few months, then Nvidia counters and Nvidia wears the performance crown for 1.5 years until the cycle repeats. Overall Nvidia has the best performing product for the vast majority of the time, but as long as AMD steals it for a short while, their fanboys have something to crow about.

I suppose people have a greater love for the underdog and the price/performance winner than the performance winner who can afford to overprice.

I suppose people have a greater love for the underdog and the price/performance winner than the performance winner who can afford to overprice.

We all like Nvidia we like how they pay developers to make games run like shit on AMD hardware , we like the way it was meant to be played program ," Tier 0" . . The attitude we love it also . There is only one company in the world that would rather sell a professional GPGPU card to the consumer market then make a bundle of profit.

We love CUDA we all want use it we all want to use Physx, that makes all the AMD people so jealous.

Sleepless nights each day until AMD makes something better then "we" have 14 days of good sleep , each year ......

It goes both ways. As a nonfanboy, it's annoying to see both sides go back and forth. Who gives a shit? It's like the Apple vs. Android debate or Ford vs. Chevy. Get what makes you happy, enjoy it, and move the fuck on.

Wow, before I even read the name of this user who posted this I was like 'this sounds like Unknown One, he senselessly finds ANYTHING HE CAN to spin around to make AMD the bad guy' and what so you know, LOOK WHO IT IS!
I didn't spin anything in that post :confused:

Just pointing out that it makes sense for a GTX 770 to cost more than a GTX 680, and that it doesn't make sense for a 280x to cost more than an HD 7970.

Out of everything I said in the post you quoted, what do you disagree with?

I didn't spin anything in that post :confused:

Just pointing out that it makes sense for a GTX 770 to cost more than a GTX 680, and that it doesn't make sense for a 280x to cost more than an HD 7970.

Out of everything I said in the post you quoted, what do you disagree with?

Wait... are you suggesting that 280x is slower than 7970?

To be honest I see this on the internet a lot lately. AMD has a lot of vocal fanboys around, and I'm not sure why because they haven't been winning the performance wars very often. They launch a product, win for a few months, then Nvidia counters and Nvidia wears the performance crown for 1.5 years until the cycle repeats. Overall Nvidia has the best performing product for the vast majority of the time, but as long as AMD steals it for a short while, their fanboys have something to crow about.

Agreed

Spoken like a true Nvidia fan boy...Nvidia spends a lot of their hard earned money and time trying to cut out the competition any way they can, or bad mouth them even though they have good products to begin with. Reminds me of a spoiled child that has nice things but that's not enough, they have to make sure nobody else has them.

Last edited:
Wait... are you suggesting that 280x is slower than 7970?
No.. read my post he quoted. All I said was "Re-releasing an old part with exactly the same performance doesn't warrant a price increase..."

The 280x and the HD 7970 perform exactly the same, ergo there's no reason for a price increase on the 280x vs. the HD 7970.

Spoken like a true Nvidia fan boy...Nvidia spends a lot of their hard earned money and time trying to cut out the competition any way they can, or bad mouth them even though they have good products to begin with. Reminds me of a spoiled child that has nice things but that's not enough, they have to make sure nobody else has them.

I accuse Nvidia of overpricing and you call me a fan boy? That's rich.

No.. read my post he quoted. All I said was "Re-releasing an old part with exactly the same performance doesn't warrant a price increase..."

The 280x and the HD 7970 perform exactly the same, ergo there's no reason for a price increase on the 280x vs. the HD 7970.

You do realize the 280x is cheaper than most 7970s? There's some that are sub-$300, but due to retailer-specific sales or rebates.

AMD did not increase the MSRP.

You do realize the 280x is cheaper than most 7970s?
Yes... again, read the thread and the person I was responding to...

KazeoHin was complaining that Nvidia raised the price going from the GTX 680 to the GTX 770, comparing it against the 280x's situation (going for cheaper than the HD 7970).

I was just pointing out that it makes sense for the GTX 770 to be more expensive than the GTX 680 (since the GTX 770 is a faster card with a few other additional benefits). The 280x, on the other hand, is just a re-badge... so no reason for a price increase.

abandon all hope ye who enter here to intelligently and objectively discuss AMD's launch

Yes... again, read the thread and the person I was responding to...

KazeoHin was complaining that Nvidia raised the price going from the GTX 680 to the GTX 770, comparing it against the 280x's situation (going for cheaper than the HD 7970).

I was just pointing out that it makes sense for the GTX 770 to be more expensive than the GTX 680 (since the GTX 770 is a faster card with a few other additional benefits). The 280x, on the other hand, is just a re-badge... so no reason for a price increase.

on serious note, what added benefits does the 770 give you over a 680? other than a slightly bumped up clock speed?

^^

E-Peen pal.... B================D

AMD is pricing the rebadged 7970 spot on. Its a slightly faster card due to clocks and priced at $300, right where the 7970 has been on sale for. Nothing wrong with that. More concerned with the 290/290x pricing.

^^

E-Peen pal.... B================D

AMD is pricing the rebadged 7970 spot on. Its a slightly faster card due to clocks and priced at $300, right where the 7970 has been on sale for. Nothing wrong with that. More concerned with the 290/290x pricing.

it's faster than a vanilla 7970 I guess but 5% lower clock vs a ghz edition

the 280x is 850 base / 1000 turbo, the base 7970 is 925, and the 7970 ghz is 1000/1050

They should really change your name to WHINE1.

on serious note, what added benefits does the 770 give you over a 680? other than a slightly bumped up clock speed?

Already said... in this thread...

The GTX 770 uses different RAM, a different cooler, gets upgraded from Boost 1.0 to Boost 2.0, and is clocked significantly faster than the GTX 680 across the board.
Core clock increases from 1006 Mhz (1058 MHz boost) to 1046 MHz (1085MHz boost).
Memory clock increases from 6 GHz to 7 GHz.
Updated reference cooler for cooler and quieter operation (the same blower design seen on the 780 and Titan)
Improved fan speed algorithms, preventing noticeable up/down fluctuations.
Boost 2.0, improving overclocking: Link

it's faster than a vanilla 7970 I guess but 5% lower clock vs a ghz edition

the 280x is 850 base / 1000 turbo, the base 7970 is 925, and the 7970 ghz is 1000/1050

Yeah, I guess you are right. I didnt realize it was so low of a base clock, but considering of the 8 or 9 cards on newegg listed currently, only 3 have that clockspeed. The others carry a 1000mhz+ base clock. Gotta remember that there technically wont be any "reference" cards since they are 7970 re-brands, at least I think Im right on that?

Already said... in this thread...

Core clock increases from 1006 Mhz (1058 MHz boost) to 1046 MHz (1085MHz boost).
Memory clock increases from 6 GHz to 7 GHz.
Updated reference cooler for cooler and quieter operation (the same blower design seen on the 780 and Titan)
Improved fan speed algorithms, preventing noticeable up/down fluctuations.
Boost 2.0, improving overclocking: Link

so it's an overclocked 680 with a better cooler? sounds like those were out already =p

and im not sure it's different ram, possibly just different timings and higher clock, again really just a higher clocked 680, I wonder if reference 280x will have a better cooler too.

so it's an overclocked 680 with a better cooler? sounds like those were out already =p

and im not sure it's different ram, possibly just different timings and higher clock, again really just a higher clocked 680, I wonder if reference 280x will have a better cooler too.
You missed the part where it's been upgraded to Boost 2.0 (which allows both power-target and temperature-target based automatic overclocking), and fan speed fluctuations have been reduced so that the cooler is additionally less noticeable (this actually makes a pretty large difference)...

Also glossing over the fact that most GTX 680's can't run their RAM at 7GHz, even when flashed with the timings the GTX 770 uses. :rolleyes:

And if the cooler on the 280x is the one we've been seeing in early photos, then I'm thoroughly unimpressed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back