AMD Fury Series is here. Discussion thread.

I've never had good success with MSI (my wife's current laptop being the latest exhibit of issues). Other than a heat sink popping off the NorthBridge chip on one of my old ASUS motherboards, I've never had an issue with ASUS, so I'm waiting for the ASUS iterations of the AMD cards before deciding which team to jump to for my workstation. My last (now retired and being a barely-used Mumble server running on Debian 7) workstation has the ASUS EAH4890 in it.

While I am not trying to make light of your wife's issues with her MSI lappy, I will say that is usually a pretty huge difference when comparing the companies high volume, higher margin parts like their GPU and MoBo lines, then something as complex as a lappy..Laptop's have parts from 3~7 OEMs, most of which are the lowest bidder on a contract and tend to write shitty drivers..

To offer some perspective, despite the numerous horror stories you see here with many members having MB/GPUs go up in flames die etc and Asus rake them over the coals for months to get their warranty honored, I have never had one of their products die on me. That being said, after all of the issues I have seen, I have abandoned them, since I refuse to reward a company that ignores and outright lies to customers..

A friend of mine is the manager of a Geek squad, and he has great techs since he was given a mostly free hand with hires as long as they met HR requirements etc...He said by far their worst headache are the TON of low/lower mid end Asus notebooks that flood in each week with insane QC build issues, cheap hardware that is shipped with barely functioning drivers etc..They have filed a ton of complaints to Corporate, who keep promising to speak with Asus to "investigate the QC issues"..:rolleyes::rolleyes:

While I am not trying to make light of your wife's issues with her MSI lappy, I will say that is usually a pretty huge difference when comparing the companies high volume, higher margin parts like their GPU and MoBo lines, then something as complex as a lappy..Laptop's have parts from 3~7 OEMs, most of which are the lowest bidder on a contract and tend to write shitty drivers..

The laptop was the final straw in a string of MSI products. I built my ex-wife's system a while back with MSI components and eventually got so tired of it that it almost went out the window.

So, I understand what you're saying, but the string of bad MSI products includes a GPU and an MB as well. :-/

The way to go entusiast with more than one card is Fury.
I suspect the XDMA pcie is the reason for this.

Uh no, despite the good scaling it still loses to a stock 980 ti, nevermind the aftermarket models. Then there's the 20% gain from overclocking the 980 ti. The fury x just isn't competitive enough at $650.

Uh no, despite the good scaling it still loses to a stock 980 ti, nevermind the aftermarket models. Then there's the 20% gain from overclocking the 980 ti. The fury x just isn't competitive enough at $650.

You cant really include overclocking because the cards will throttle unless they are watercooled.

Uses more power, overclocks less, better performance at 4K.
Like I said a week ago buy a 980 and overclock it, save $50.

Hmm not all reviews, its anywhere from 40 to 100, so we can take the average of 70 watts, it also depends on which brand is reviewed, looks like Sapphire's use more wattage then Asus.

http://hothardware.com/reviews/amd-radeon-r9-fury-review?page=1
http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/7241/sapphire-tri-radeon-r9-fury-video-card-review-hbm-water-cooler/index.html

is the Sapphire a factory OC? I wonder if it's because ASUS has a non-reference design, they could have managed to drop a few w.

AMD needs to cut their prices by about $100 across the board.

390: $299
390X: $349
Fury: $450
Fury X: $550

That's about what I would consider 'normal' for AMD's typical value.
What they're doing now is just mind-boggling. I still see some people defending this crap and it just throws me for a loop. I know AMD is a business who needs to make money (now more than ever) but why are people so happy to allow AMD to drive up their prices for NO REASON? Their current line-up is far less appealing than anything else they've released in years. AMD's perf-per-dollar just went straight down the shitter.

Fury's launch pales in comparison to the 290 and 290X and I hated those cards, still do.

The only cards that might be reasonably priced are the 360, 370, and 390. Everything else needs a cut.

AMD needs to cut their prices by about $100 across the board.

390: $299
390X: $349
Fury: $450
Fury X: $550

That's about what I would consider 'normal' for AMD's typical value.
What they're doing now is just mind-boggling. I still see some people defending this crap and it just throws me for a loop. I know AMD is a business who needs to make money (now more than ever) but why are people so happy to allow AMD to drive up their prices for NO REASON? Their current line-up is far less appealing than anything else they've released in years.

Fury's launch pales in comparison to the 290 and 290X and I hated those cards, still do.

The only cards that might be reasonably priced are the 360, 370, and 390. Everything else needs a cut.

I agree, I was semi-interested in a fury, just for freesync, now maybe not so much :p I guess I'll be holding on with my 970 for a while.

Go back to October 2013 and look at the 290X vs Titan reviews, and consider those two cards occupied the same pricepoints as the Fury and Titan X do now. Then compare those old reviews to the Fury vs Titan X reviews today. Then also remember the 980 Ti exists (the 780 Ti didn't at the time) and is more competitive than the 780 Ti was when it eventually did release, relative to the Titan.

All in all it's just a shit showing by AMD. How do people forget their history so soon? It's been a year and a half. Neither Fury nor Fury X deserve any praise aside from the SFF + Watercooler combo on Fury X.

As someone who waited over a year for Pirate Islands, this is just an embarrassment. I feel like an asshole for not getting a 970 last September. Wish I had a time machine.

Go back to October 2013 and look at the 290X vs Titan reviews, and consider those two cards occupied the same pricepoints as the Fury and Titan X do now. Then compare those old reviews to the Fury vs Titan X reviews today. Then also remember the 980 Ti exists (the 780 Ti didn't at the time) and is more competitive than the 780 Ti was when it eventually did release, relative to the Titan.

All in all it's just a shit showing by AMD. How do people forget their history so soon? It's been a year and a half. Neither Fury nor Fury X deserve any praise aside from the SFF + Watercooler combo on Fury X.

As someone who waited over a year for Pirate Islands, this is just an embarrassment. I feel like an asshole for not getting a 970 last September. Wish I had a time machine.

Why are you being so overdramatic lately? All this over a $50 difference in what you believe to be an appropriate launch price? 500 instead of 550? ok:D

Why are you being so overdramatic lately? All this over a $50 difference in what you believe to be an appropriate launch price? 500 instead of 550? ok:D
Nah this card is $450 and even then I would say it's merely competitive.
$450 = Thumbs up, AMD.
Anything less than that = Thunderous applause.

If it were $500 I would be making the same argument.
$550 is just a sad failure.

I'm being overly dramatic to outweigh all of the apologists out there. Stop making excuses for this garbage. If AMD follows this kind of performance/pricing model on their mainstream cards (which they're already starting to do) they are fucked even more than before.

I've been exclusively an AMD customer since 2008, over $2000 in AMD video cards in my house. I'm disappointed and slightly angry these past few weeks... Disgruntled, you might say.

I make no excuses...I vote with my wallets as always. It's also a good possibility of a price drop depending on how sales/inventory of the non x version does. And it does seem like the days of the always 50 dollar cheaper amd gpu's are gone

I make no excuses...I vote with my wallets as always. It's also a good possibility of a price drop depending on how sales/inventory of the non x version does. And it does seem like the days of the always 50 dollar cheaper amd gpu's are gone
Maybe not you but a lot of people are arguing that AMD matching Nvidia in value is not a failure, as if anyone will buy an AMD card when Nvidia has an equivalent card for the same price!

See my post here:
https://www.reddit.com/r/hardware/c...ch_the_amd_radeon_r9_fury_review_feat/csyq18b

Maybe not you but a lot of people are arguing that AMD matching Nvidia in value is not a failure, as if anyone will buy an AMD card when Nvidia has an equivalent card for the same price!

See my post here:
https://www.reddit.com/r/hardware/c...ch_the_amd_radeon_r9_fury_review_feat/csyq18b

That's you and one other guy, which may or may not be you yet again. Also if they're so worried about value, why not a used 290 for $200 or even a 390X at $400? Even a 970 is better value than a 980.

See my post here:
Come on....In all truth, they are correct. I wouldn't buy any of those high end cards from either camp....So there not losing sales from me anyway. After rebate i spent less than 200 dollars on my current card. Hell people like you and me are well aware how big the changes in gpus will be next year..And this doesnt happen every year (28nm-16nm) All these expensive high ends cards on both sides will be worth 30% of their current retail value...Makes them all bad buys imo

Come on....In all truth, they are correct. I wouldn't buy any of those high end cards from either camp....So there not losing sales from me anyway. After rebate i spent less than 200 dollars on my current card. Hell people like you and me are well aware how big the changes in gpus will be next year..And this doesnt happen every year (28nm-16nm) All these expensive high ends cards on both sides will be worth 30% of their current retail value...Makes them all bad buys imo

Once new cards come out on 16/14nm these cards will be worth less then 50% of their values because next gen mid range should be the same performance as today's high end.

Now does it look like Nano will really compete with the gtx 980 in performance per watt? They will have to really do something other then just drop frequency, last rumors for it was at 800mhz full Fiji chip.

I speculate:

Its either going to be more performance then the gtx 980 slightly with significantly more power usage, or

Same power usage and perform more like the gtx 970.

Last edited:
Nano only has one 8 pin. So performance per watt doesn't mean stronger over all just more efficient per frame.

mjqkHLR.png

Well these results seem a bit different than what [H] found out

performance per dollar? not really...

From H conculsion
That means the AMD Radeon R9 Fury is $50 to $70 more expensive than a custom GTX 980, for performance that is on par most of the time with the settings in games turned up.

The AMD Radeon R9 Fury pricing is all wrong. AMD needs to drop this price if it wants to sell these video cards, but considering it looks like there will be little to no stock for a while, we guess it really makes no difference.

and

....but the AMD Radeon R9 Fury is too expensive for the performance it provides. The NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 is easily a better value than the AMD Radeon R9 Fury.

i totally didn't read the performance per dollar part as i could have swore i saw it do better in most of the tests. Yea ya got me...the perf per dollar is actually correct it seems..for now
Any idea of performance difference between the asus and the sapphire new cards?

i totally didn't read the performance per dollar part as i could have swore i saw it do better in most of the tests. Yea ya got me...the perf per dollar is actually correct it seems..for now

I could have sworn that I saw a review where the Sapphire card got 3 fps more than the Asus card because the Sapphire heatsink layout is far superior to the Asus one.

Found it! Anandtech review. They thought the Asus card was great, but the Sapphire card was otherworldly designed. Also the Sapphire card is 8db quieter. 38db for the Sapphire and 46.2db for the Asus.

Man that card is so long. Sapphire really doesn't give a fuck about your case size. lol
Wish more manufacturers would take queues from them.
12" can fit into a mid-tower, I tried it when I got my 295x2. Not much space to spare, sure, but it can fit.

If needed, I guess people can also take apart the big piece and put a small liquid cooler on it themselves. the board is not that big.

nobody does, and nobody should. Its not like the price is fixed and one review can cover them all, people should just read the review and go online (or in store) and check price out. It also doesn't hurt to wait a week or two to see how price shifts. New product always comes in high on price.

Assuming it actually goes down, or like the 79xx you could get screwed.

lol.

The performance per watt charts are more important to me. Although AMD still lags behind in this generation, they made an impressive improvement from the 2xx series to Fury. I hope the 2016 releases (CPU too ;) ) continue along the same path. I used to not care much about the wattage my system was running because I had my desk in a large 13'x15' room with ridiculously high vaulted ceilings (like 16' at the peak). Every bit of heat it produced had no impact on the ambient air temperature at the time, even in the worst of the summer heat. Now... I have it crammed into my 10'x11' bedroom and it's definitely a space heater when the door is closed.

Back