AMD Frame Pacing Update

Brent_Justice

It has been a long while since AMD has introduced Frame Pacing, but not everyone is able to benefit from it yet. It is currently limited to 2560x1600 single-display gaming. Only the 290/X can support Frame Pacing at Eyefinity resolutions. It has been way past AMD's initial time frame. So when is Frame Pacing finally coming to everyone? AMD has provided us information on when to expect that support finally.

Hi – Wanted to give you a heads-up on the next update to our frame pacing solution that will be introduced to all GCN and earlier products that didn't have it until now. Frame pacing will be enabled for CrossFire configurations running Eyefinity and UltraHD resolutions. We’re planning to post a beta driver publicly sometime in January of next year (we don’t expect any delays, but this, as always, might change). -Cheers, ANTAL TUNGLER

Well I guess mining with AMD hardware does make it rain $100.00 bills! :p

Hmmm no Mentionings of DX9?

Seems not. I have a stack (literally) of amd cards to mine with but I wouldn't dream of using crossfire cards for productivity or gaming yet in a real system. No dx9 pacing, very very late on crossfire/etc, and other continuing issues probably beyond the scope of this thread.

Let me guess.

If it was raining $100.00 bills, you would bitch because you'd have to bend over to pick them up.

If I was already owed those bills from a prior investment or purchase, YES I WOULD. Bad analogy.This is not free bonus functionality, it is missing basic stuff. I'm glad they're finally getting going with it since competition is good for everyone buying but... As I said in my last post..

Seems not. I have a stack (literally) of amd cards to mine with but I wouldn't dream of using crossfire cards for productivity or gaming yet in a real system. No dx9 pacing, very very late on crossfire/etc, and other continuing issues probably beyond the scope of this thread.

Bummer for those that depend on it D:

But I removed my second 7950 to play around with bitcoins :). a single 7950 still covers my gaming needs for a while.

My friend with 2 release date (Jan/2012) 7970 cards will be thrilled to hear that in January next year his Eyefinity setup will work properly. Thrilled I tell you.

nvidia isn't much better - I'm stuck on 320.49 drivers because they broke Surround support when using an EDID override. BF4 runs on my system but not super well and neither GPU vendor has something worth upgrading to right now (I'll maybe grab non-reference 290s for Crossfire but right now every single reference model is out of stock at NCIX where I buy most of my PC crap - I see that continuing for the non-reference models).

My friend with 2 release date (Jan/2012) 7970 cards will be thrilled to hear that in January next year his Eyefinity setup will work properly. Thrilled I tell you.

nvidia isn't much better - I'm stuck on 320.49 drivers because they broke Surround support when using an EDID override. BF4 runs on my system but not super well and neither GPU vendor has something worth upgrading to right now (I'll maybe grab non-reference 290s for Crossfire but right now every single reference model is out of stock at NCIX where I buy most of my PC crap - I see that continuing for the non-reference models).
Not to minimize the problem you're being hit by, but isn't edid overriding used for non matching displays, which is an unofficial hack-feature on nvidia, and one amd doesn't even support at all?

Not to minimize the problem you're being hit by, but isn't edid overriding used for non matching displays, which is an unofficial hack-feature on nvidia, and one amd doesn't even support at all?

I have matching monitors (projectors). I'm using an override EDID to enable a non-officially supported resolution in my projectors (1280x800@120Hz). This feature actually worked fine on my single 7970 and has been working for the SLI 680s right up until the 331 driver branch.

I have matching monitors (projectors). I'm using an override EDID to enable a non-officially supported resolution in my projectors (1280x800@120Hz). This feature actually worked fine on my single 7970 and has been working for the SLI 680s right up until the 331 driver branch.

Ahh, learn something new every day as they say :). And bah, hopefully it is fixed soon then for you :(.

Back