AMD Exposes More Weakness At E3

The only issue, and it's really with the high end, that AMD is only releasing mid range now and not the high end.

It used to drive me nuts when nvidia would release their low to mid range first them high end a while ago. So i definitely understand why some are being pessimistic.

Yep. Eagerly awaiting to see their more powerful card(s).

I'm still interested to see Polaris, I'm not in the market for a high end card and am considering the 1070, but if AMD pulls a 4870 again ... Well I'm buying that lol.

I'm still interested to see Polaris, I'm not in the market for a high end card and am considering the 1070, but if AMD pulls a 4870 again ... Well I'm buying that lol.

mmm
1070, Titan X Performance for half the price

Sigh

AMD needs to get a move on already
Was thinking of taking a 1070 now and sell it if the 1080ti or whatever AMD has to offer actually convinces me to do so

Wouldn't mind for an AMD part, but a bit tired of waiting
Last year I heard this year will be AMD's time to shine
Now I hear it'll be early next year

This smacks of a lovelorn drunk dude late night posting carnage episode.

"I loved you so much but you rejected me, now I'm going to talk shit about you to all & sundry, that'll show you, bitch!"

F5 F5 F5 F5

Please talk to me.......

mmm
1070, Titan X Performance for half the price

Sigh

AMD needs to get a move on already
Was thinking of taking a 1070 now and sell it if the 1080ti or whatever AMD has to offer actually convinces me to do so

Wouldn't mind for an AMD part, but a bit tired of waiting
Last year I heard this year will be AMD's time to shine
Now I hear it'll be early next year
Late this year or early next year for high end, Polaris is supposed to be at the end of the month.

I'm not in the market for a month or so, I could purchase a 1070 now and play Doom but the 7850 I have is doing ok at 1080p. I have no issues with waiting.

Late this year or early next year for high end, Polaris is supposed to be at the end of the month.

I'm not in the market for a month or so, I could purchase a 1070 now and play Doom but the 7850 I have is doing ok at 1080p. I have no issues with waiting.

Redid my build (tingle in the fingers to do a new system ;-) , but it has been like 5 years or so)
Asus Formula VIII, an Asus strix is obviously fitting thx to the aura stuff on it
There's no reason why a strix needs to be a NVIDIA
Would be fine if it'll be an AMD
Sold my 780 while it was worth something, actually surprised I got that much still
Now I only have an old 460 in until I make a decision

While I'd be fine with waiting a bit, the NVIDIA parts got me interested, maybe even excited
And the 1070 I could afford right now and sell it with a hit later on If I feel like it
Tsk
Run out of time I guess

There's nothing in AMD's pipeline that's exciting to me be it ZEN or Radeon
its only wait and see if they can compete at all at this point
I'd be happy if they surprise me of course

I am not sure "Exposes more weakness" is the appropriate way to put it. AMD has been hurting for a long time and I think they are doing the best they can to recover from the BullDozer disaster. They certainly need to make changes and keep pushing forward, but to say they are just now showing more "Weakness" is like saying "that building is going to burn down" as you are driving past the burnt shell of a building that burned down 2-3 years ago.

AMD has a lot of things they need to fix, but they are doing a lot of the right things to fix them. They are also making some very stupid PR mistakes by freezing out journalists such as Kyle and Brent. The Tech world would surely suck so much more if AMD is unable to get its shit together and we are stuck with only Intel and Nvidia. I think AMD's APU's and HSA are the future of the industry and once they get things together, they will be better off. They also need to get rid of people trying to break the company up as that would be the death nail of the company if they broke the graphics division up and sold it off.

We need AMD to succeed and they are doing better, but at the same time they have so much more to do. I do think the RX 4XX series is targeting the right audience at the right price. Perhaps they had greater aspirations and failed to meet them, but at least they recognized that and made adjustments rather than releasing a product in a segment it does not belong at a price that simply makes no sense (cough, Fury, cough).
I absolutely agree with your sentiments. Further, I have high hopes of AMD making a gradual come-back, or rather, a steady climb in market-share. As the mid-end range seems to be the large majority of purchases and on top of that, they are in the major consoles.... that alone I would think would preclude all this doom and gloom burying of the ashes most seem to speak of in terms of AMD.

Selling chips to all three console makers is apparently good for the bottom line.
AMD’s quarterly profit shows it’s the real winner of the game console wars

Ever heard of a card called the R9 290X? Or an HD 7970? I'm pretty sure they're both still outperforming more expensive Nvidia cards.

Could you at least try to be a bit more objective?
Finally, someone responds with actual information regarding their console wins - not the opinion, assumption and blind assertion that they must be selling them at break-even or a loss!

Finally, someone responds with actual information regarding their console wins - not the opinion, assumption and blind assertion that they must be selling them at break-even or a loss!

Yup, that's why I said in my previous post about posting nonsense vs. actually researching and just riding the wave of AMD hate on this forum. I get it, AMD made some bad calls but they're trying to right the ship.

the guy is "Disclosure: I am/we are long NVDA" and he has a long history of creating negative AMD articles

bias is obvious. surprised [H] considers this news.

I'm probably going to by a 480 regardless, I need a Gpu and if the 480 performs close to what they claim it's a sale

You might be surprised by how not ok that 7850 is running Doom even at 1080p. I went from 3 GTX 680s to a GTX 1080 FE, even at just 1080p (Doom's SLI support sucks, just used one 680) with the GTX 1080 FE it was like playing a new game, in the same old x58 i7-980 4GHz system. For people already on later gen hardware, sure I get that a GTX 1080 isn't really a big upgrade), but for those going back two or more generations, it's a HUGE upgrade. The GTX 1080 FE can run Doom faster with every thing at max in 3x 1080p Surround than the 680 could with a mix of medium and low settings at just 1080p.

Of course everyone wants the best deals. I see a lot of people playing the wait and see game and certainly if the 480 is something that looks interesting I can understand that. But I think a lot of people running the later gen stuff don't realize just how much better the 1070/1080s would be for someone with older kit. I've kind of been sitting on some newer titles because they just weren't performing well and at some point the waiting game becomes a for of "analysis paralysis" were one spends so much calculating all kinds of ratios and such and not actually playing games with performance that just makes them so much more fun.

Gaming console royalties were fairly optimistic, see SA columnist (with no open position) giving his thoughts here:
http://seekingalpha.com/article/1913031-will-amds-game-console-business-save-the-day

That was written in Dec 2013.

Then you look at the revenues and operating income generated from AMD's Graphics and Visual Solutions segments (2) from the ArsTechnica link reference above from Q413.
Compare that with the most recent Q116 (Q1 2016):
Quarterly Earnings | Investor Relations | AMD

Computing and Graphics are combined now in Category 1, while Category 2 has become a new category (Enterprise, Embedded, Semi-Custom).
Operating income is at least in the black for the Category 2, while C&G remain in the red.

You might be surprised by how not ok that 7850 is running Doom even at 1080p. I went from 3 GTX 680s to a GTX 1080 FE, even at just 1080p (Doom's SLI support sucks, just used one 680) with the GTX 1080 FE it was like playing a new game, in the same old x58 i7-980 4GHz system. For people already on later gen hardware, sure I get that a GTX 1080 isn't really a big upgrade), but for those going back two or more generations, it's a HUGE upgrade. The GTX 1080 FE can run Doom faster with every thing at max in 3x 1080p Surround than the 680 could with a mix of medium and low settings at just 1080p.

Thanks, but I already know the type of performance I'm getting and the performance I would get if I were to upgrade now ;). Fact is though I've already played through at lower settings, medium framerate and enjoyed the game. When I upgrade I'll play through again and enjoy the ability to have everything turned on.

With that said I did something similar when Doom 3 came out. I played it originally on a Ti4600 at 800x600 and lower settings, then upgraded to a 6800GT and played it at 1280x1024 maxed out detail again. All the experiences were worth it.

You probably don't need to be playing DOOM at 150 frames per second @ 1080p, not that that's a bad thing. :p

I prefer everything maxed out whenever possible though.

Thanks, but I already know the type of performance I'm getting and the performance I would get if I were to upgrade now ;). Fact is though I've already played through at lower settings, medium framerate and enjoyed the game. When I upgrade I'll play through again and enjoy the ability to have everything turned on.

With that said I did something similar when Doom 3 came out. I played it originally on a Ti4600 at 800x600 and lower settings, then upgraded to a 6800GT and played it at 1280x1024 maxed out detail again. All the experiences were worth it.

I understand. The number of games that weren't playing well started to become an issue for me even after minimizing settings at just 1080p. Now I'm maxing out stuff at 3 times the resolution and getting twice the FPS. I've not ever gone this long without a GPU and it's the single biggest jump I've experienced. It's night and day. For me it totally changes the experience for "meh" to "wow". But that's me. Personal millage of course varies. But I certainly encourage you to upgrade sometime before not to long.

You probably don't need to be playing DOOM at 150 frames per second @ 1080p, not that that's a bad thing. :p

I prefer everything maxed out whenever possible though.

And I guess that's one thing I didn't really expect. Even at 1080p, the GTX 1080 is just a much better experience. But I've been playing Doom in 3x 1080p Surround with the help of Flawless Widescreen that fixes the FOV issues. Love Doom in Surround.

Not really, more like they are starting at the more lucrative part of the GPU market and then moving up from there. Besides, the 1080 is practically non existent.

Here's where the flaw is. AMD assumes the market is STILL lucrative for 3 year old performance cards. Fact is the market for new PC's is low and shrinking. Look what happened to Intel when people didn't see the benefit of a new processor.

Most people don't buy AiB and rely on what's already installed. Those who DO seek out separate AiB will likely look at what they already have and keep it. There is no compelling reason to upgrade (feature or performance wise) if you have GCN1.0+ (AMD) or 600 series (NVIDIA)

Can AMD prove that this is a technically superior card even if it performs like a 3 year old card? That's a really tough sell. NVIDIA is touting things like stereo scopic rendering in 1 pass. (Which leans toward VR improvements) What is new that AMD is offering?

I mean I would even consider a RX480 as a modest upgrade to my 7970 IF they could prove the benefit (providing NVIDIA doesn't come out with something comparable that blows it out of the water)

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been hearing all of this for the last decade, and all of it has just slowed the sinking of their proverbial ship.
As sad as all of this is, there is no "hate" for AMD on here, only facts and observations being pointed out.

Also, "aggressive price structuring" is the only advantage, if you can even call it that, which AMD has at this point.
They are fighting for mass amounts of pennies and pesos, which is rarely a winning move, and could take decades to achieve anything.

AMD's worst move was when they purchased ATI back in '06, oh and not because the purchase itself was bad, but it was mainly due to the extreme cost that put them back.
Cost of the purchase aside, they could have pulled out of their debt years ago, but mismanagement and high turnover of key/critical employees is really what destroyed the company from within.

I know everyone thinks Intel is to blame for the OEM scandal back in the 2000s, but AMD has pulled some real crap with Intel back in the 1980s and 1990s, in which AMD was very much in the wrong, legally at least.
AMD isn't totally innocent, and they themselves have caused their own demise.

This is all coming from a person who has owned and heavily used AMD products, enthusiastically, for well over a decade.
When AMD's most die-hard fans are turning their backs on them, they are doing something seriously wrong.
This is what I'm talking about! if AMD had come out saying they are going to be smashing the 980Ti etc with this release and being shown that it's far from it then yes, be annoyed.

However, AMD have come out openly stating they are targeting the "sweet spot" for this release, and that sweet spot is the $200 range. If they put out a chip that is better or equal to the prev gens $400 parts, then they are onto a winner.

If they get some good traction and response from this release then it makes their Vega release so much easier.

AMD made it clear a long time ago they aren't in the race anymore, this seems to be true for both CPU & GPU now. They are all about the biggest portion of the pie and that's mainstream. 1070/1080 are not mainstream. I don't think we will ever see the days of AMD competing at the top end again. Their focus is not in that direction.

AMD moves away from Intel rivalry, rethinks course

Are you seriously referencing statements from 2011?

This is straight from AMD's 2016 Computex keynote:
AMD Showcases New High-Performance Solutions at COMPUTEX TAIPEI 2016

“Today’s launch of our 7th Generation A-Series mobile APUs, to be followed closely by new Radeon™ RX Series GPUs and then our next-generation ‘Summit Ridge’ desktop processor powered by our ‘Zen’ core represent key proof points of our strategy to firmly re-establish AMD as a high-performance design leader.”

AMD very much wants to return to the high-performance segment.

Did people already forget about the Consortium deal? The whole reason I'm at all optimistic about Zen (vs. Polaris), is because someone already put their money where their mouth is.

So long as AMD's focus remains on the open source drivers currently indev, I would gladly downgrade to a 480. I might lose some Frames Per Second, but will be filled with Holy Libre Zeal. I might even make a few bucks in the trade.

Back