AMD Exposes More Weakness At E3

Owners of Intel Lamborghini's will always scoff at AMD Viper owners. Yet forums of Intel and AMD owners both wax ecstatic about their goods. It is human nature. My shit smells better than your shit. I should have bought an IBM chip!!

Owners of Intel Lamborghini's will always scoff at AMD Viper owners. Yet forums of Intel and AMD owners both wax ecstatic about their goods. It is human nature. My shit smells better than your shit. I should have bought an IBM chip!!

That makes no sense. My last 3 cards were Nvidia. Before that I had 1 or 2 ATI cards...before than Nvida. It's a card. I couldn't care less who makes it. Only the performance (and efficiency to some degree) matters.

That makes no sense. My last 3 cards were Nvidia. Before that I had 1 or 2 ATI cards...before than Nvida. It's a card. I couldn't care less who makes it. Only the performance (and efficiency to some degree) matters.
I was referring to CPU's. But If you own an NVidia Ferrari then You will scoff at the AMD Corvette. yadda yadda yadda

The point is that fandom is stupid. I am like you, in that I buy whatever gives me the most bang for the bucks in my pocket at the time.

I was referring to CPU's.

I don't think that AMD has had a desirable high performance gaming CPU for about a decade. Go back to 2005 when I joined and there were a TON more folks with AMD CPUs in the rig sigs. That was a time when AMD was leading. Then in 2006 Intel came out with the Core series and AMD's not really been able to respond. One thing I think this article gets right even if is coming off as superior, bottom feeding. Low cost, high bang for the buck parts are great and consumers need them and will buy them. But they don't lead. AMD needs to be able to produce something where it's a clear performance leader and the high end. That's what the Athlon represented in the early 2000s and that's when AMD was going a lot better than now.

AMD seems to be doing OK to me. They have design wins for the upcoming consoles and are going to release some great mid range cards, plus a high end one later this year. If Zen is as good as they claim it is that should help as well. So much hate for AMD on this forum it's actually quite laughable.

I am confused about this design win. They already make cards for all the consoles, and yet that hasn't seemed to help them that much overall. In fact, all it is doing is helping keep them barely afloat. The reason they win in those markets is because they are selling the cheapest. Nvidia barely even competes for that segment because they would have to basically start eating costs like AMD is to produce all those cards for those units. What Nvidia does, which is brilliant business strategy is forces AMD to keep bidding lower to get that segment, forcing them to eat even more cost to continue.

As for [H]ard losing credit for linking to an article? That is just nonsense. They link to tons of articles on here and many of them have been far more absurd than this one.

I am confused about this design win. They already make cards for all the consoles, and yet that hasn't seemed to help them that much overall. In fact, all it is doing is helping keep them barely afloat. The reason they win in those markets is because they are selling the cheapest. Nvidia barely even competes for that segment because they would have to basically start eating costs like AMD is to produce all those cards for those units. What Nvidia does, which is brilliant business strategy is forces AMD to keep bidding lower to get that segment, forcing them to eat even more cost to continue.

As for [H]ard losing credit for linking to an article? That is just nonsense. They link to tons of articles on here and many of them have been far more absurd than this one.

You're making points for things I never stated....congrats

Keep the hate alive...this forum is full of it!

So AMD is weak because they didn't have any laptop GPU's at E3, have low performance and low priced Polaris (whatever that means) and there won't be any Zen APU's until 2017? I wish AMD would just go ahead and die so I don't have to keep seeing these deathwatch articles I've been reading for the last decade that come out everytime any negative information comes out about them. Mail room clerk quits without notice. Oh my God! The humanity! Yeah Bulldozer sucked but their GPU's have been plenty competitive since the 4000's up to the 300's. Fury was the first one they stumbled and that could've been cured if they'd sold it for $50-75 less.

So AMD is weak because they didn't have any laptop GPU's at E3, have low performance and low priced Polaris (whatever that means) and there won't be any Zen APU's until 2017? I wish AMD would just go ahead and die so I don't have to keep seeing these deathwatch articles I've been reading for the last decade that come out everytime any negative information comes out about them. Mail room clerk quits without notice. Oh my God! The humanity! Yeah Bulldozer sucked but their GPU's have been plenty competitive since the 4000's up to the 300's. Fury was the first one they stumbled and that could've been cured if they'd sold it for $50-75 less.

Sometimes I do wish this just to see what people would argue about next.

Well I seriously doubt AMD is eating the cost. The benefit is that AMD can roll cost into their next gen products by what they discover and design into products for XBOne and PS4. But I would say they are initially break even with a profit set for the future as yields improve.

Their strategy was somewhat a sound one. By using custom AMD extensions on console ports, that would directly translate into coding ports over on the PC side. So there would be more incentive for developers to do so, thus shutting out NVIDIA in performance gains. But I don't know too many XBOne games or PS4 games taking advantage of the low level AMD GCN extensions.

Last edited by a moderator:
The last thing they need at this point is a paper launch for Polaris, they're going to disappoint a lot of people if they don't have a good supply on June 29th.

I'm afraid I have some bad news then...

Your website is not going to get GPU nor CPU review samples.

If anything news is posted some favourable and some may not be it also part of Steve strategy to posts these articles or the forums would remain empty.
The last thing any company wants is to demand an independent source to not link any articles. This would screw your reviews because the site will be considered pro X or Y thus backfiring on your product review of brand X or Y because of the favourable stance on either ....
I'm afraid I have some bad news then...

You are getting kittens ?

AMD seems to be doing OK to me. They have design wins for the upcoming consoles and are going to release some great mid range cards, plus a high end one later this year. If Zen is as good as they claim it is that should help as well. So much hate for AMD on this forum it's actually quite laughable.

Unfortunately, having a "good feeling" about AMD doesn't change the reality of their bleak financials. And supplying chips to Sony & MS isn't much of a win when they're doing so for break-even, dirt that Nvidia doesn't need to play in.

AMD made their bed. Calling it "hate on this forum" is childish, it's just reality that they fail to deliver again and again. If they could ever manage to produce a competitive card again, people would buy them.

I was astounded they were offering these half-assed GPUs, especially after the blockbuster announcement of HBM memory. How they didn't transition all of their GPUs to using HBM is confusing.

The answer to this should be common sense.

low to medium Gpu's won't benefit from HBM and it will only drive cost up.

When you are fighting an uphill battle like AMD is you need to save money everywhere possible.

Your [H] needs does not represent the whole market which is where the money is.

And I believe AMDs focus on the midrange right now is where they need to be looking at because that is where most cards are sold.

Last edited:
This forum, and this website in general, does seem to have an anti-AMD slant. Especially the recent anti-AMD hit-piece citing only "anonymous sources" -- that is, no sources at all. Things might be very bad indeed inside AMD, but since no evidence of such is offered, we really don't know. And isn't knowing the point of journalism?

Personally, I think they are currently making a pretty good selection of products for low to mid level PCs, but that they are completely non-competitive at the high end. Of course that's just my opinion, but since opinion seems to pass for journalism of late...

Unfortunately, having a "good feeling" about AMD doesn't change the reality of their bleak financials. And supplying chips to Sony & MS isn't much of a win when they're doing so for break-even, dirt that Nvidia doesn't need to play in.

Selling chips to all three console makers is apparently good for the bottom line.
AMD’s quarterly profit shows it’s the real winner of the game console wars

AMD made their bed. Calling it "hate on this forum" is childish, it's just reality that they fail to deliver again and again. If they could ever manage to produce a competitive card again, people would buy them.
Ever heard of a card called the R9 290X? Or an HD 7970? I'm pretty sure they're both still outperforming more expensive Nvidia cards.

Could you at least try to be a bit more objective?

AMD could do quite well for itself as a high-volume, lower-profit margin SoC company. They don't have to be competitive at the top end to be successful.

You should do a little more research vs. spewing babbling nonsense. The hate is definitely alive.

Last edited:
first page didnt intregue me enough to bother subscribing to read the rest.
but all of it seem quite stupid to be honest, vaporware really ? lol Zen is a vaporware...and we have some performance figures for, laptop M480 with 35 watt and leagues faster thatn the 280M(85watt card) and a desktop 270X is a 970 performance card with 110watt and 149$, the article is utter crap, well at least the first page.

the summary on itself is just false from start to finish
-At E3, AMD showed more cheap Polaris-based GPUs, but nothing for notebooks.
i dont even know what to say to this.

-The low performance and price of AMD's Polaris chips indicate continuing process problems at Global Foundries.
and he gets that from AMD choosing to go for low-mid range first where 80% of the marketshare is, knowing they have about 20%, because to him if you dont launch your biggest chip first you failed, and he is talking about stock issues, while ppl are getting reports from everywhere that AMD is shipping crap load of these cards everywhere.

-Microsoft's Xbox One announcement also indicates that chips combining Zen and Polaris won't be available until late 2017
xbox console is late 2017 not because AMD cannot make them a chip, but because microsoft is late to the party software wise, they have no content for it, sony took them by surprise and started making an upgraded version of it's playstation, when Deevs started getting memos, microsoft run to talk about upgraded xbox, while sony is already making content for it.

Last edited:
Seems to be a lot of hate for AMD right now, and I don't get it.

Yes I understand the enthusiast (this websites readership, for one) love the big numbers and raw performance of the top end chips, but I get what AMD is trying to do here with the aggressive pricing structure.

This is purely a placeholder release to try and gain the marketshare, and go all out for the Vega release.

Now, if Vega flops, then we can all say that AMD got it's tactics wrong and it could be a very damaging blow.

It's going to be an interesting 6-12 months, for sure!

Because business is war.

You don't just try to make due with whatever little market you're claiming for yourself, you try to release products that are smartly timed, lower build cost so you can be more aggressive with your prices without eating into margins. You also have to release SOMETHING NEAR THE TOP of performance, or your competition will continue to ignore you, and charge an extreme premium for their top-margin parts.

You need to hit them where it hurts. midrange is good, but not where the major profits can be (with a properly designed card).

Nvidia already prepared to do battle, making the GTX 1070 cheap to build (256-bit GDDR5), but since the 480 is nowhere near it in performance, Nvidia can ignore the card. At most they might drop to $350, but that's nothing. 8GB 480 starts at $230, which is the exact same gap we had with the 960/970 last generation.

They can discount 970 parts until the 1060 is ready, so no big loss there.

No, in war you want to make your enemy bleed. You want them to have to discount their BRAND NEW high-end parts, like Nvidia did to GCN with their cheaper-to-build Kepler parts. Most of them dropped by around $100 in just six months!

And of course just like AMD did with the 4870. Both companies used to know how to go for the jugular.

Last edited:
If they can deliver GTX 980 performance with the rx480 at a $229 price point I'll bite. From where I'm sitting, it just looks like they are trying to dominate the low/mid end at the expense of the high end. I guess time will tell....

Not really, more like they are starting at the more lucrative part of the GPU market and then moving up from there. Besides, the 1080 is practically non existent.

Reactions: N4CR
like this
They can discount 970 parts until the 1060 is ready, so no big loss there.

That might be a bigger loss for nVidia than you would think. The 970 has the highest share % on the steam hardware survey, so it's likely their best selling card, and will probably continue to be even after the 10xx series cards are widely available. If they have to drop the price of it $50 that'll cut them out of millions of dollars in profit.

enthusiast market is extremly easy to handle, even if AMD doesnt release a high end now they are not really losing market share or profit.
you have 3 type of enthusiasts:
1-enthusiasts who doesnt care about price or brand, they are just after the fastest card out there, these ppl they will buy a faster card even if they bought one couple months prior
2-fanboys, ppl AMD wouldn't get even if they offer them a no brainer card they will still pick Nvidia
3-wanna be enthusiasts that feel their pocket bleed, most of these wont jump to 1080 because they feel it's not fast enough compared to their current titan/ti, and will probably wait for next enthusiast line up.
but when you move to low/mid range, here you get a market that doesnt change a GPU that easily, and they need to see a value or a saving before they buy (if they are somewhat informed in tech), otherwise marketing is going to be imprortant here for AMD.
i really hope the RX480 is as good as it looks, and that it works well for AMD, because they deserve a break, AMD always had better perf/$ in low/mid range (except the 970 anomaly for a short time) and that didnt really help them sell.

"hey guys, we're objective. look at the articles we post"

Article 1
Nvidia's Founder's Edition announcement was a little bit confusing but we understand.

Article 2
AMD is literally a turd and is no-good and bad and we personally have it on good authority that they are trash, My friend told me their next product is rubbish, may as well buy an Nvidia product now.

"See? We aren't biased!"

Article 1
Nvidia's Founder's Edition announcement was a little bit confusing but we understand.

Article 2
AMD is literally a turd and is no-good and bad and we personally have it on good authority that they are trash, My friend told me their next product is rubbish, may as well buy an Nvidia product now.

"See? We aren't biased!"

Which is why I was saying. It is almost like [H] is turning into Semiaccurate reporting bullshit articles and websites like that. Man I hope they aren't doing that shit to get more hits.....sad

That might be a bigger loss for nVidia than you would think. The 970 has the highest share % on the steam hardware survey, so it's likely their best selling card, and will probably continue to be even after the 10xx series cards are widely available. If they have to drop the price of it $50 that'll cut them out of millions of dollars in profit.

it cannot be a better seller after 400series shows, you get same perf card in dx11 and better in dx12 for 150$, the buyer need to be completely oblivious to make that buy with an RX470 available, even the RX480 should be 20% faster and only 200$, for the 970 to pretend to being relevent it's going to need a 150$ price cut, not even talking about the 980.
the only solution i see for nvidia is rely on ppl's ignorance and double down on marketing, or release 1060 asap, and be well placed perf/$, and avoid stock shortage.

Article 1
"

Founder Edition, perfect Tool to hike pricing, while giving the illusion of a cheaper product with an almost non existant MSRP, first thing that poped into my mind when i heard about it, was oh boy AIBs will love the leeway margins they have to the Founder Edition, what a surprise when i found out i was right....

Reactions: N4CR
like this

Article 1

Article 2

"See? We aren't biased!"

Except, you know, the AMD article didn't actually say any of that. What it said was that AMD is a bit of a mess internally (not exactly a shocking revelation) and the upcoming cards were nowhere near what AMD wanted them to be. If Kyle can confirm that his sources would know what they are talking about and would be able to give good information is it not his duty to report on it? What if some, or all, of what he said was revealed to be true and Kyle hinted that he knew it all along but declined to share it despite not being under NDA? There would be a riot and he would be accused of all sorts of bias. Kyle is also staking a huge amount of the site's reputation on those claims. If everything turns out to be false it would be a big blow to the site. So he has to be pretty confident in the accuracy of the information.

Also, don't forget that Kyle released an article the same day very bluntly calling the 1080 FE an "early adopter's tax" and calling it's launch a paper launch. Kyle's hatred of paper launches is pretty well on display in the article.

Except, you know, the AMD article didn't actually say any of that. What it said was that AMD is a bit of a mess internally (not exactly a shocking revelation) and the upcoming cards were nowhere near what AMD wanted them to be. If Kyle can confirm that his sources would know what they are talking about and would be able to give good information is it not his duty to report on it? What if some, or all, of what he said was revealed to be true and Kyle hinted that he knew it all along but declined to share it despite not being under NDA? There would be a riot and he would be accused of all sorts of bias. Kyle is also staking a huge amount of the site's reputation on those claims. If everything turns out to be false it would be a big blow to the site. So he has to be pretty confident in the accuracy of the information.

Also, don't forget that Kyle released an article the same day very bluntly calling the 1080 FE an "early adopter's tax" and calling it's launch a paper launch. Kyle's hatred of paper launches is pretty well on display in the article.

While I agree with you on some points, I will correct you on others:

AMD's in a bit of a mess == not exactly a flattering statement. If I said your family is in a bit of a mess, and had the good authority to make such a judgement, it would reflect badly on you and yours.

AMD's chip is running slower and hotter == literally the two things you DON'T want a video card to be. Essentially saying their product is shit. This also assumes that AMD expected their upcoming chip to be something other than what it currently is: while entirely possible, it is unsubstantiated with no ACTUAL evidence besides "My dad works at Nintendo" hearsay: I didn't buy it on the elementary school playground, I don't buy it now. I'm happy for HardOCP to be correct on this: but I have yet to see Kyle or Brent bring out their 'insider dads at Nintendo' to write a hit piece on Nvidia or Intel.

Everyone has bias. Hell, I have TONS of bias. [H]ardOCP has been AWESOME at keeping their reviews bias-free. But editorials, linked articles and whatnot are all based on the interests and positioning of the webmaster who finds them noteworthy, and that's okay. The main issue I have is people defending it like it does not exist.

Fox News supporters believe Fox is the ONLY source of unbiased news, meanwhile, CNN supporters feel the same way about CNN. Smart people look at both ends and figure out the information between the lines.

Article 1

Article 2

"See? We aren't biased!"

Well now that's not exactly true. I don't like the [H] editorial either but you can't look at HardOCP's body of work and accuse them of bias. Remember back to the Fermi days. The GTX 470 and 480 reviews were pretty harsh as was Kyle's editorial of life with GTX 480's in SLI. One article actually recommended not buying either. They were very "pro AMD" with the 5870 and 5850. Same with the 200's. Hell Kyle even ran a pair of 290X's in his personal rig if I remember right.

Yes the editorial was over the top but I don't believe this site is a Team Green cheerleader. They're a performance cheerleader and right now, Nvidia has had the performance crown for at least 2 generations in a row.

Yeah I notice it's usually younger accounts (less than 5 years) that accuse Kyle of bias.
Shouldn't be a surprise, since none of them were around when Kyle reviewed the Radeon 9700 Pro or the 5870, nevermind his glowing introduction of Eyefinity :p

I guarantee you none of those users can even identify who made the Parhelia.

While I agree with you on some points, I will correct you on others:

AMD's in a bit of a mess == not exactly a flattering statement. If I said your family is in a bit of a mess, and had the good authority to make such a judgement, it would reflect badly on you and yours.

AMD's chip is running slower and hotter == literally the two things you DON'T want a video card to be. Essentially saying their product is shit. This also assumes that AMD expected their upcoming chip to be something other than what it currently is: while entirely possible, it is unsubstantiated with no ACTUAL evidence besides "My dad works at Nintendo" hearsay: I didn't buy it on the elementary school playground, I don't buy it now. I'm happy for HardOCP to be correct on this: but I have yet to see Kyle or Brent bring out their 'insider dads at Nintendo' to write a hit piece on Nvidia or Intel.

Everyone has bias. Hell, I have TONS of bias. [H]ardOCP has been AWESOME at keeping their reviews bias-free. But editorials, linked articles and whatnot are all based on the interests and positioning of the webmaster who finds them noteworthy, and that's okay. The main issue I have is people defending it like it does not exist.

Fox News supporters believe Fox is the ONLY source of unbiased news, meanwhile, CNN supporters feel the same way about CNN. Smart people look at both ends and figure out the information between the lines.

It casts doubt BUT protecting sources is one of the primary duties of a reporter. You want to make sure those sources can be used multiple times. If a source's job is at stake if you reveal too much or reveal who they are, a reporter MUST protect them. If a source asks to remain anonymous you keep them that way. Otherwise you will very quickly run out of people willing to talk to you. Now I'm not saying to trust unnamed sources due to that but you should also never dismiss them outright either. Take into account the information and the person giving it to you. If that person has a history of being trustworthy then there is a good chance that they aren't making shit up. I think Kyle has earned the benefit of the doubt here. Has he ever bullshitted readers before? Has he ever knowingly given fake information that he presented as fact? Kyle has a history of being honest and incredibly blunt, I'm not entirely sure why people are hell bent on rewriting history to pretend that that isn't the case. My take on all of this is: Wait and see. It's stupid to cast someone's reputation into the toilet without any REAL proof. Innocent until proven guilty and all that.

As for no pieces on other companies: So? Kyle might not have the kind of sources he has for AMD or there simply might not be anything to talk about. There also could be NDAs in place preventing it. [H] used to have a really damn good relationship with AMD. To the point where they worked with AMD on events and were always communicating with the driver team. Several years of working closely is going to build a ton of friendships and a good amount of people to talk to in order to get information. As far as I recall [H] has never had that kind of relationship with Intel or Nvidia.

Yeah I notice it's usually younger accounts (less than 5 years) that accuse Kyle of bias.
Shouldn't be a surprise, since none of them were around when Kyle reviewed the Radeon 9700 Pro or the 5870, nevermind his glowing introduction of Eyefinity :p

Seriously. Anyone who says Kyle is biased towards nVidia needs to go read the old FX5800 reviews from 12 or so years ago.

This isn't 2015 anymore friend. The GTX 970 hit sales records LAST spring, and had to take a price cut to $300 to move any stock at all this last Christmas. At this point NOBODY ELSE will buy one unless there's a price cut, so there's no loss in doing so. They just have to do it a couple months earlier than they planned.

That's why the 480 will have no detrimental effect on Nvidia. They can keep charging insane margins on the 1070/1080 for the next six months until Vega appears. Once the 1060 is available to compete with the 480, they'll have to sell it at a lower price, but that will be a comparatively smaller loss. After all, AMD isn't going to cut thing too much, as they're not going to lose money on this little stunt, just cut margins thinner.

So Nvidia isn't going to lose money pricing GP106 that low either.

"I have it on good authority that AMD is bad. Just terrible. Those guys don't know what they're doing. Really, what's going on over there? I just don't know. No one does."

-- Donald Trump

Seriously though, that article on AMD a few weeks back was really bad...whether it ends up being accurate or not.

Last edited:
Wow....[H] is going the way of Semiaccurate now?.........Damn......Times are really changing....Man it's hard to even visit any hardware website forum anymore.

This is exactly what I thought. SemiAccurate and its Nvidia hate is almost perfectly mirrored here now. How deep [H] has sunk.

Why talk about it, when you can make it happen? ALSO, the craptactular Parhelia is in the 9700 Pro review :D

- ATi Radeon 9700 Pro Benchmarks

Conclusion - ATI Radeon X1900 Series Evaluation

Conclusion - AMD Radeon HD 4800 Series

Conclusion - AMD's ATI Radeon HD 5870 Video Card Review

Conclusion - AMD's ATI Radeon Eyefinity Performance Review

Conclusion - AMD Radeon HD 7970 Video Card Review

Conclusion - AMD Radeon R9 290X Video Card Review

Just a few choice quotes:

The ATi Radeon 9700 Pro is the best video card we have ever laid our hands on. ATi is going to be first to market with some very impressive technology and the gamers are sure to take notice. I think the benchmarks at 4XAA/16XAF speak for themselves. The image quality is nothing less than beautiful in both 2D and 3D. Then considering we already know it is going to be a powerhouse card that has the ability to run DOOM]|[ next year and you are almost guaranteed to have a nice long term upgrade for your hard-earned cash. I just don't see how the ATi Radeon 9700 Pro is going to leave you any way but satisfied.

AMD’s new Radeon HD 4870 and Radeon HD 4850 offer a gigantic performance improvement over their last generation of GPUs and offer great values when compared to NVIDIA new GTX 280 and GTX 260. These performance improvements translate into real-world gaming benefits being able to play at higher resolutions with higher in-game settings utilizing AA and AF.

ATI’s Eyefinity breathes new life into forgotten games. And it is responsible for delivering incredible experiences in new games too! Around HardOCP, Eyefinity has been responsible for a few of us falling back in love with PC gaming. There has been a lot less work done around HardOCP in the last two months because of Eyefinity. It goes without saying that with older games you aren’t guaranteed that you’ll be able to select the Eyefinity resolutions in the menu; some may require a bit of hacking to get them to work; but when they do though, wow, it is a whole new experience.

That's a whole lot of gold there, and opinions are only changing NOW because AMD/ATI is not trying like they used to.

Last edited:
Kyle isn't going to make a positive editorial on AMD when his sources aren't reporting good news. Every writer is going to keep their sources anonymous unless the source wants to be known.

Kyle has also posted positive reviews on their hardware too. They seemed to really love the Nano and the 380x but I guess those don't count.

AMD is a mess at management, it isn't shocking that anyone would report that. It's shocking though to see some one get so much heat for reporting it just because they don't have a rig with with AMD cards.

If anything it shows Kyle cares about competition to show that one company is a mess, hopefully to throw some fire at them and get their act together. I doubt he has ever said DONT buy AMD GPUs.

Fury was the first one they stumbled and that could've been cured if they'd sold it for $50-75 less.
The stumbling was due to the industry unexpectedly being stuck on an old node. But AMD went ahead due to the experience with the advanced tech. It wasn't a high volume part and costly hence the high pricing. Vega will be released on time with HBM2 and will compete handily with a balls to the wall clocked Paxwell that will exasperate the deficiencies of its stop gap architecture, as that is all Nvidia will have to answer with.
The haters continue to ignore that Polaris IS AMD's mid-range.

Back