AMD does it again.

I find AMD most interesting below US$400. I'd rather put in an AMD lower-end part on a price / performance basis if the Nvidia part at the same price does not have RT.

A custom-cooled RX580 8GB is one of the best buys today in the lower-end range IMO.

I am most interested in seeing AMDs 1660 Ti competitor. I expect it will be their next Navi part.

Links please.
There isn't one really, as no1 bothers to write about it. You would need to request that data from ms, or directly from companies. Good luck with that.

The companies i've worked with (4, from web dev, hosting, stock exchanges, bank), and companies my friends worked with. (This is US only - Chicago, Denver, Huston, Wash DC, Nashville)
4+ monitors
100% amd (always)

3 monitors
30% nv, 70% amd (nv is looked down upon since drivers crash often for some reason - those are typically shit tier gpu's anyway on both sides, and more than often still on amd 5000/6000 series or gt 200 series.) -- typical for ops

2 monitors
~45% nv, and ~55% amd (nv is desired for whatever the reasons, there's no issues on either side; amd is cheaper. -- most common setup)

1 monitor
~80% intel, ~15% nv, ~5% amd (almost always intel, no dedicated gpu -- in our profession this setup is rare)
(personal rigs sys admins 50/50 in terms of nv/amd)

cpu wise
100% intel
(I have yet to see business workstations with ryzens)

// Recently myself and a colleague from DC noticed our current companies are switching pre-built workstations to coolermaster (what?!) instead of dell or hp as usual. They always ship with AMD 400-500 series gpu, and intel i5's | they look flashy but supposedly are cheaper than dell and hp. I don't see them listed anywhere so i would need to dig around but definitely cm is selling them for businesses.

Ah, you're talking about corporate 'desktops', not real 'workstations' where there is a supposed need for GPU performance. I've only seen Nvidia in 'workstations'. For corporate desktops, well- nearly all of the ones I've seen just use Intel or AMD integrated, which is far more powerful than needed for the purpose and also the cheapest thing one can buy. Our 'workstations' that have GPUs have Nvidia Quadros.

I am most interested in seeing AMDs 1660 Ti competitor. I expect it will be their next Navi part.

The 16xxs always felt very overpriced. I am very interested in what AMD prices theirs at.

Ah, you're talking about corporate 'desktops', not real 'workstations' where there is a supposed need for GPU performance. I've only seen Nvidia in 'workstations'. For corporate desktops, well- nearly all of the ones I've seen just use Intel or AMD integrated, which is far more powerful than needed for the purpose and also the cheapest thing one can buy. Our 'workstations' that have GPUs have Nvidia Quadros.
My friend whom worked for a secured network contractor did get a peek at one of the "studios" (reality just an office where they put movies together) in hollywood almost 2years ago. Stated most of their HPC were fitted with Vega (56&64) consumer cards (not even founder editions or pro); their workspaces loud as f. He never seen so many vega cards in one spot. It highly depends on what kind of work you are doing, i guess vega64 was much better option vs quadro 24gb since you could use your system ram for big scenes or something. Yet i can't see why some1 wouldn't want to use nv for most of adobe workloads, but supposedly all tv series are rendered with vega.

Last edited:
That's a problem with the bus size, not a problem with the type of memory it uses.

It looks like the 1650 will be getting the GDDR6 I said it needed, though it will be called super instead of Ti:
https://videocardz.com/82342/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1650-super-to-launch-on-november-22nd

the GTX 1650 SUPER is currently set to launch on November 22nd (this is the official date provided under the embargo). The pricing for the 1650S has not yet been provided.

GeForce GTX 1650 SUPER will receive a GDDR6 treatment. This model will feature modules rated at 12 Gbps (same as GTX 1660 Ti), while the GTX 1660 SUPER will sport faster 14 Gbps chips.

Back