AMD desktop Trinity CPU's benched at Tom's Hardware

No really: "Piledriver still gives up significant instruction per cycle throughput compared to the older Stars design, but is better able to compensate than Bulldozer."

Personally I don't consider lower IPC than stars "looking good".

Not bad. I'm still not expecting it to surpass Intel performance levels, even with a 4 module version.

No really: "Piledriver still gives up significant instruction per cycle throughput compared to the older Stars design, but is better able to compensate than Bulldozer."

Lower IPC than stars, but higher IPC than Bulldozer, coupled with significantly higher clock speeds at the same TDP is by no means bad, especially since the end result is that overall performance is much better.

People like you focus way too much on IPC. You should be looking at overall performance.

Not bad. I'm still not expecting it to surpass Intel performance levels, even with a 4 module version.

It won't surpass Intel's CPU performance, but it will surpass IGP by a significant margin, which is what everyone was really expecting.

So if a chip were 10% lower in IPC but could clock 50% higher at the same power usage that wouldn't be "looking good"? Not saying Trinity can, but just because something has a low IPC does not make it look bad. Just like a high IPC high that can't clock high is bad.

The benchs show trinity quads. I want to see octa and 10 cores pwn i7s!!!

Don't know whether you're being serious, or just trolling...

You do realize that Trinity is a low-end part, not meant to compete in any way with the i7s, right? That will be Vishera's job.

lol. I just want to see the power draw when OC . IPC improvements are about all that could be expected. IF the power isn't outrageous we might actually have a alternative to the ubiquitous i5 when the 8350 is released. As awesome as the Z77+IB is, it is still boring when everyone is basically forced to use the same hardware. Intel CPU OC are easier than ever before, RAM timings are increasingly meaningless and we have GPUs that OC themselves. Hopefully AMD can bring some fun back to being [H]. The upcoming i3 vs A8 reviews will be interesting too. It may not be an Intel killer but it is nice to see them follow through on expectations this time.

Considering how Kyle said that Bulldozer was a really fun platform to overclock on, I expect to see some of the same for Trinity, although the iGPU might hold it back some.

I don't think we will see 8 or 10 core trinity.

THG said:
How about Trinity’s built-in graphics component? Clearly, this is one of AMD’s greatest strengths. We know from our Core i7-3770K review that HD Graphics 4000 can’t even keep up with Llano. Pile on frame rates that are 20 to 25% higher than the first-gen APU and you have the prelude to a blowout favoring AMD's Trinity. Of course, there aren’t any Intel processors with HD Graphics 4000 selling where we’d expect to find these upcoming APUs, making HD Graphics 2000 or 3000 a more realistic comparison.

That is what sells Trinity for me, it is going to be cheap and powerful enough for all the casual users i know.
No need for a discrete graphics card and they do not have to suffer the agony of Intels IGP.

Don't know whether you're being serious, or just trolling...

You do realize that Trinity is a low-end part, not meant to compete in any way with the i7s, right? That will be Vishera's job.

Not trolling was just uninformed ;)
I thought all piledrivers were trinity, didnt know that vishera was the high end part codename

Trinity: budget/mainstream, has an iGPU with up to 4 cores (2 modules). Uses FM2 socket.
Vishera: mainstream/enthusiast. No iGPU, up to 8 cores (4 modules). Uses AM3+ socket.

Trinity: budget/mainstream, has an iGPU with up to 4 cores (2 modules). Uses FM2 socket.
Vishera: mainstream/enthusiast. No iGPU, up to 8 cores (4 modules). Uses AM3+ socket.

Am3+ I thought they were changing sockets? Thats good news, I could get a piledriver with no new mobo

Vishera using Piledriver cores will be using AM3+. It is also rumored that Steamroller, the 28nm die shrink, may also appear on AM3+, but nothing is confirmed.

Vishera using Piledriver cores will be using AM3+. It is also rumored that Steamroller, the 28nm die shrink, may also appear on AM3+, but nothing is confirmed.

That's if we even see a desktop chip without on-die graphics. AMD has only confirmed server + APUs for Steamroller and on with no mention of a desktop enthusiast chip.

Trinity looks pretty good. A decent increase in CPU performance over Llano with a big increase in graphics all the while using the same power at load. Not much of an upgrade over Llano but a clear winner if you're building a small cheap PC capable of gaming. If crossfire works well and Trinity sells at ~$130 for the A10-5800K model you could add a cheap 6670 and have a small low profile HTPC capable of 1080p gaming on good settings :D

Trinity is definitely a step in the right direction but I'm interested to see what Kaveri will bring. Shared memory access and GCN could potentially put a stomping on Intel in anything GPU-accelerated. And if AMD is clever enough to add AVX2 support along with their FMA3 we might see some upsets folks

I believe the rumormill only shows am3+ and FM2 for AMD until DDR4.

pretty much, since AMD isn't pushing on processor pci-e 3.0 support like intel has AM3+ has a couple years left in it. same goes with G34 on the server side. and like you mentioned the only other socket change is FM1 to FM2 on the APU side for the same reasons they had to switch from AM3 to AM3+.

interesting review up until this part...

"This one’s all-new. Corel revamped the WinZip engine, better-optimizing it for multi-core processors (in addition to exposing support for OpenCL on AMD GPUs, which we'll test shortly). We’re certainly not fans of a company using an open standard to lock out competition. Further, we know that AMD was instrumental in exposing this functionality, and that’s the justification given for preventing Intel or Nvidia from benefiting from it."

lol seriously? AMD isn't preventing anyone from using openCL, Intel and Nvidia are preventing themselves from using it. its an open source standard that they refuse to implement into their products, there is absolutely nothing AMD is doing to prevent them from using it.

Last edited:
lol. I just want to see the power draw when OC . IPC improvements are about all that could be expected. IF the power isn't outrageous we might actually have a alternative to the ubiquitous i5 when the 8350 is released. As awesome as the Z77+IB is, it is still boring when everyone is basically forced to use the same hardware. Intel CPU OC are easier than ever before, RAM timings are increasingly meaningless and we have GPUs that OC themselves. Hopefully AMD can bring some fun back to being [H]. The upcoming i3 vs A8 reviews will be interesting too. It may not be an Intel killer but it is nice to see them follow through on expectations this time.

I basically looked at 8150 benchmarks and added 22% to them (+10% because I'm assuming the top Piledriver will be clocked at 4.2, and +11% for IPC) and the hypothetical piledriver benches often looked really good. Competing well and beating intel chips at times

PCmark 7 overall suite score

3770k=5487
2550k=5079
8150=4189
8150x1.22=5111

PCmark 7 productivity suite score

3770k=5436
2550k=5103
8150=4105
8150x1.22=5008

Creativity suite score

3770k=5655
2550k=5138
8150=4792
8150x1.22=5846

i'd still worry about the chip most of all in gaming, the very thing we care most about. even a 22% speedup is still going to leave it looking a little sad next to intel in some gaming benchmarks. that said i even see a silver lining there, which is that in the future more games should start using more than 4 threads, so bd/piledrive/steamroller might start looking better and better at gaming over time if i'm right as games start using up to 8 threads.

Nice review! Really hoping Vishera will meet/exceed my expectations

Cool, but I dont think Ill be upgrading on realease. My thuban can handle any game out right now, Im saving money for a 7990, that would make a better upgrade.

Cool, but I dont think Ill be upgrading on realease. My thuban can handle any game out right now, Im saving money for a 7990, that would make a better upgrade.

mmmm i think the 7990 would be the nail in the coffin for your thuban.. as nice as the thubans are they still have their limitations and high end SLI/cfx is definitely reaching the limit of the processor.

In response, AMD officially adds support for up to DDR3-2133 with one module per channel, or DDR3-1866 with two modules per channel installed. In comparison, Llano topped out at DDR3-1600 with two modules per channel.

let me get this straight, i will be able to run two dimms at DDR3-2133 in dual channel mode on a trinity board.

did i understand this correctly?

pretty much, since AMD isn't pushing on processor pci-e 3.0 support like intel has AM3+ has a couple years left in it. same goes with G34 on the server side. and like you mentioned the only other socket change is FM1 to FM2 on the APU side for the same reasons they had to switch from AM3 to AM3+.

interesting review up until this part...

"This one’s all-new. Corel revamped the WinZip engine, better-optimizing it for multi-core processors (in addition to exposing support for OpenCL on AMD GPUs, which we'll test shortly). We’re certainly not fans of a company using an open standard to lock out competition. Further, we know that AMD was instrumental in exposing this functionality, and that’s the justification given for preventing Intel or Nvidia from benefiting from it."

lol seriously? AMD isn't preventing anyone from using openCL, Intel and Nvidia are preventing themselves from using it. its an open source standard that they refuse to implement into their products, there is absolutely nothing AMD is doing to prevent them from using it.

Agreed. Implicitly, the used of open standards means exactly NOT locking out competition. I guess they'd rather see a closed standard, which in their world is not in any way limiting competition??

A FUCKING MEN BROTHER! God I remember the ol' 939 days when I was really getting into oc'ing. Using nothing but air and getting to know your computers "quirks."

Remember those crazy boards that had built in agp and pci-e slots! I never owned one but thought they were cool.

I read this recently , forgot where though, that Trinity isn't a "full" PileDriver core, but something between BD and PileDriver, and that the next AM3+ chips will have the full PD Cores which should push IPC up more than Trinity.

I basically looked at 8150 benchmarks and added 22% to them (+10% because I'm assuming the top Piledriver will be clocked at 4.2, and +11% for IPC) and the hypothetical piledriver benches often looked really good. Competing well and beating intel chips at times

PCmark 7 overall suite score

3770k=5487
2550k=5079
8150=4189
8150x1.22=5111

PCmark 7 productivity suite score

3770k=5436
2550k=5103
8150=4105
8150x1.22=5008

Creativity suite score

3770k=5655
2550k=5138
8150=4792
8150x1.22=5846

i'd still worry about the chip most of all in gaming, the very thing we care most about. even a 22% speedup is still going to leave it looking a little sad next to intel in some gaming benchmarks. that said i even see a silver lining there, which is that in the future more games should start using more than 4 threads, so bd/piledrive/steamroller might start looking better and better at gaming over time if i'm right as games start using up to 8 threads.

the addition of 8MB L3 should also give PD for desktop (Vishera) slightly better performance. not sure if you factored that in your 22% figure. should be worth a few extra percentage points.

that travesty from MS (win8) might actually give reason for those of us with current AMD hardware (AM3+) to upgrade from windows 7. that is if win8 indeed has a better scheduler than 7. if the gain is only a ~1%, will happily stay with windows 7. however if the percentage increase is greater, will need to look at ways of un-doing the 'metro damage' unless of course one actually likes the win8 UI :confused:

in any case AMD might have given rise to some 'quiet optimism' for their new CPU. at the very least has given us something (positive) to think about. the 'AMD Processor' sub-forum has been pretty quiet lately.

another consideration if AMD's new PD proves competitive on the desktop, Intel may need to re-think their intentional CPU gimping (using thermal paste between the core & IHS instead of solder comes to mind).

I read this recently , forgot where though, that Trinity isn't a "full" PileDriver core, but something between BD and PileDriver, and that the next AM3+ chips will have the full PD Cores which should push IPC up more than Trinity.

I think you may be referring to this report from xbitlabs.
http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/di...rt_Production_of_Next_Gen_FX_Chips_in_Q3.html
"For example, only fully-fledged "late" Piledriver inside Viperfish model 2xh will be able to execute numerous new instructions as well as will receive instructions per clock (IPC) increase. Even though reduced "early" Piledriver inside code-named Trinity APUs model 1xh will be more advanced than the original Bulldozer model 0xh, the x86 cores are projected to be slightly less efficient than those of the full Piledriver."

the addition of 8MB L3 should also give PD for desktop (Vishera) slightly better performance. not sure if you factored that in your 22% figure. should be worth a few extra percentage points.

that travesty from MS (win8) might actually give reason for those of us with current AMD hardware (AM3+) to upgrade from windows 7. that is if win8 indeed has a better scheduler than 7. if the gain is only a ~1%, will happily stay with windows 7. however if the percentage increase is greater, will need to look at ways of un-doing the 'metro damage' unless of course one actually likes the win8 UI :confused:

in any case AMD might have given rise to some 'quiet optimism' for their new CPU. at the very least has given us something (positive) to think about. the 'AMD Processor' sub-forum has been pretty quiet lately.

another consideration if AMD's new PD proves competitive on the desktop, Intel may need to re-think their intentional CPU gimping (using thermal paste between the core & IHS instead of solder comes to mind).

Well I can say that reading this thread has given me some out of no where optimism. I am curious as to what the lower end price points will be (with out getting a model with the cache cut). I sold my desktop a while back and have been out of the bleeding edge for the last couple years. I am currently running a laptop with a core 2 duo @2.6 and an 8800gts. You'd be suprised at how well it still holds up @ it's native 16x10 res. I think the 8800gts/x are now the current 9700/9800 pro.

I'm sure it would completely smash the core 2 duo up to pieces but still will there be a sub 250 dollar chip that performs? I am not afraid of oc'ing, in fact I love oc'ing amd products the most! :D

Looking good for the low end... can't wait to see more benchmark with higher memory and with dual graphics see other game results than wow.

I think you may be referring to this report from xbitlabs.
http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/di...rt_Production_of_Next_Gen_FX_Chips_in_Q3.html
"For example, only fully-fledged "late" Piledriver inside Viperfish model 2xh will be able to execute numerous new instructions as well as will receive instructions per clock (IPC) increase. Even though reduced "early" Piledriver inside code-named Trinity APUs model 1xh will be more advanced than the original Bulldozer model 0xh, the x86 cores are projected to be slightly less efficient than those of the full Piledriver."

Hey, that's it :) thanks for the link.

let me get this straight, i will be able to run two dimms at DDR3-2133 in dual channel mode on a trinity board.

did i understand this correctly?

Yep, and 4 dimms at DDR3-1866. Tom's review showed that the Trinity iGPU greatly benefited from 1866 speeds, so it's good to see AMD adding native support for the higher speeds.

it should also be noted that the mb used was an a75 chipset, not an a85. i think this looks like a real winner for amd.

Bulldozer, piledriver, steamroller .... is AMD trying to build some sort of Constructicons from the Decepticons?

They were gonna bulldoze intel , then piledrive it to the floor and while it was hurt steamroll over it before it got up. Amd's bulldozer ran into gear problems and intel just kept trucking along. COMBO COMBO BREAKER!!!

Not a bad improvement. If I were choosing between a Llano system and a Trinity system (both top-end processors) for the same price, I'd choose the Trinity system. But I think this performance boost will be too late to help AMD on the high-end desktops with Piledriver. This is the performance they promised on release day, not a year later.

I'd also raise concerns about how much performance AMD will have to give up to make Trinity mobile come in at 17w TDP. Surely this will cost them an entire module, in addition to a clock speed decrease (and possibly less stream processors). They might walk the edge of CPU-limited gaming land if they're not careful about balancing the GPU more with the CPU.

Back