AMD desktop Trinity CPU's benched at Tom's Hardware

mmmm i think the 7990 would be the nail in the coffin for your thuban.. as nice as the thubans are they still have their limitations and high end SLI/cfx is definitely reaching the limit of the processor.

Well Im certainly not upgrading CPU anytime soon. Cant afford it plus I dont think the thuban will bottleneck a 7990. If it does Ill just get a piledriver in the future, by the time I need one they will be nice and cheap

Yeah they do just by virtue of having a compiler monopoly on the windows platform. All the extra instructions in the world won't help if programs never implement them and developers don't use a compiler than can optimize for the target architecture.

Not bad, especially for it's price point. I think now that they got most of the kinks out, this CPU will shine! :)

I was actually hoping the benches would be more favourable for the APUs... Frames seem to be ~30 for most games @1920x1080.

I was thinking after I built my upcoming rig I would check out one of these boards when they come out, but they don't seem incredibly wonderful to me. Maybe I just want too much from integrated graphics, these still blow away HD4000.

I think they'll be coming out too close to Intel's Haswell tock to get much notice in all honesty. It's hard to think about the timeline right now, but it seems to me like they're slowly gaining on Intel.

I hope for a day when it isn't Intel's game.

I was actually hoping the benches would be more favourable for the APUs... Frames seem to be ~30 for most games @1920x1080.

I was thinking after I built my upcoming rig I would check out one of these boards when they come out, but they don't seem incredibly wonderful to me. Maybe I just want too much from integrated graphics, these still blow away HD4000.

I think they'll be coming out too close to Intel's Haswell tock to get much notice in all honesty. It's hard to think about the timeline right now, but it seems to me like they're slowly gaining on Intel.

I hope for a day when it isn't Intel's game.

Haswell is at least a year away, and likely to be ~1.5 years away. It's not close at all, Ivy Bridge was just released.

And yes, you're expecting too much from an IGP. Trinity was an improvement in every way over Llano, so there are no steps being taken backwards here, and the IGP will continue to get more powerful. I would like to see how Trinity overclocks, both on the CPU and iGPU.

Haswell is at least a year away, and likely to be ~1.5 years away. It's not close at all, Ivy Bridge was just released.

And yes, you're expecting too much from an IGP. Trinity was an improvement in every way over Llano, so there are no steps being taken backwards here, and the IGP will continue to get more powerful. I would like to see how Trinity overclocks, both on the CPU and iGPU.

I didn't realize that Trinity was coming out so soon... Could be any day by the sounds of it. ("leaked" release date was for May)

I heard the APU in these was stellar, and I think I took that to mean comparable to last gen dedicated cards not having a real comparison until I read through that tom's bench.

It's just mildly disappointing really, I was hoping for decent gaming machines occupying cases like this one (except not thin-itx). Real disruptive technology type stuff, allowing people to forgo standard cases and GPUs. I'm a bit starry-eyed w/tech sometimes though.

AMD does seem like they're gaining some distance on Intel in the last little bit. Hope they keep it up. I would like to see more competition on the field.

I didn't realize that Trinity was coming out so soon... Could be any day by the sounds of it. ("leaked" release date was for May)

I heard the APU in these was stellar, and I think I took that to mean comparable to last gen dedicated cards not having a real comparison until I read through that tom's bench.

It's just mildly disappointing really, I was hoping for decent gaming machines occupying cases like this one (except not thin-itx). Real disruptive technology type stuff, allowing people to forgo standard cases and GPUs. I'm a bit starry-eyed w/tech sometimes though.

AMD does seem like they're gaining some distance on Intel in the last little bit. Hope they keep it up. I would like to see more competition on the field.

Mobile Trinity was released in May. The laptops that actually have Trinity are just making their way into retail space, same as Ivy Bridge. Desktop Trinity will make their way into the retail space sometime this fall, most rumors have it at August or September, with Vishera (AM3+ with 4 modules 8 cores) sometime soon after that.

Why is that?

I just remember in the past that they had a bad rap/history of articles being biased, scewed, or just straight wrong. They could have changed, I noticed a post saying they had a lawsuit? (I've been somewhat removed from the forums for a while due to being to damn busy) I'm not one to believe rumors but there were quite a few people on here that would mention INQ as a bad source for info. That being said I am well aware that they have had plenty of GOOD articles, thats why I just read the articles and use my best judgement. What was their lawsuit over? Guess I'll have to google it. :)

Personally I don't consider lower IPC than stars "looking good".

If it can clock high enough to make up for it, a low IPC doesn't matter.

At stock clocks that certainly isn't the case though, as it is outperformed by Llano.

Since they haven't tested overclocking we won't know for sure, but my guess is we won't see any big positive surprises in overclocking. If the chip had that kind of headway, AMD would be doing everything they could to use it during stock clocks.

Another dud from AMD, unfortunately.

Zarathustra[H];1038851201 said:
If it can clock high enough to make up for it, a low IPC doesn't matter.

At stock clocks that certainly isn't the case though, as it is outperformed by Llano.

Since they haven't tested overclocking we won't know for sure, but my guess is we won't see any big positive surprises in overclocking. If the chip had that kind of headway, AMD would be doing everything they could to use it during stock clocks.

Another dud from AMD, unfortunately.

I don't know what you're looking at, but the A10-5800k at stock beats out the A8-3870k in practically all benchmarks. The A8-5600k ties with the A8-3870k, and the A6-5400k loses in most benchmarks, mostly due to it being a dual-core part. AMD hasn't taken any steps backwards here, there's solid improvements in performance all-around.

Maybe there is some hope for piledriver. Might actually buy one! It's been a long wait.

I wish that they were able to benchmark the 65W A10-5700. I've got a slim HTPC which can't fit a cooler for a 100W chip (or any discrete graphics card), but is sorely wanting for better video.

If it's close to what was seen here, I'll definitely buy it when it comes out.

I don't know what you're looking at, but the A10-5800k at stock beats out the A8-3870k in practically all benchmarks. The A8-5600k ties with the A8-3870k, and the A6-5400k loses in most benchmarks, mostly due to it being a dual-core part. AMD hasn't taken any steps backwards here, there's solid improvements in performance all-around.

I was looking at the content creation benchmarks.

Whenever i read CPU reviews I usually skip straight to the content creation benchmarks, as they are usually the most telling of raw CPU performance, without other subsystems polluting the data.

Maybe there is some hope for piledriver. Might actually buy one! It's been a long wait.

I'm saving up for a current gen FX-8120 for my server. I run an ESXi server in my basement, and with the relative ease of getting IOMMU to work (compared to consumer Intel stuff) as well as the great bundle pricing available at Microcenter it was a no brainer for this application, especially considering how much ESXi loves core count.

They aren't bad CPU's as long as you use them for the right purpose. No way in hell one's finding its way into my main desktop rig though. At least not until several hardware revisions later if they are able to get single core performance up to within 15% to 20% of the top Intel models.

If you're going to take into account content creation benchmarks then you need to factor in openCL performance as well. So while it does have half the FPUs and that hurts in anything video related, the openCL performance for content creation applications is quite good.

The desktop performance kind of surprised me. The laptop performance was pretty a decent step. Usually the laptop numbers fair better than desktop due to perf-per-watt improvements and how the chips are designed with mobile in mind, but the desktop performance seems to be a bigger step up from Llano.

If you're going to take into account content creation benchmarks then you need to factor in openCL performance as well. So while it does have half the FPUs and that hurts in anything video related, the openCL performance for content creation applications is quite good.

The desktop performance kind of surprised me. The laptop performance was pretty a decent step. Usually the laptop numbers fair better than desktop due to perf-per-watt improvements and how the chips are designed with mobile in mind, but the desktop performance seems to be a bigger step up from Llano.

I don't usually pay much attention to OpenCL personally, as any system I build is going to have a discrete video card anyway.

Zarathustra[H];1038857635 said:
I don't usually pay much attention to OpenCL personally, as any system I build is going to have a discrete video card anyway.

Not much reason in buying Trinity, if you don't use the integrated video.

Zarathustra[H];1038857635 said:

Not much reason in buying Trinity, if you don't use the integrated video.

But not just that. on-die GPUs can outperform decent mid-range GPUs in certain openCL GPU-accelerated workloads. While that might not factor into your buying decision at the moment, I have a good feeling that it almost certainly will within the near future. I'd be a bit more careful about reading certain benchmarks. It's far more difficult now than it was before; particularly synthetic ones and content creation due to things like ISA-extensions, compiling, and the rise (and rising) of GPGPU. While the synthetic benchmarks might make sense of the underlying architecture and its strengths and weaknesses, the content creation benchmarks apply to real life performance and can differ greatly patch-by-patch.

I just remember in the past that they had a bad rap/history of articles being biased, scewed, or just straight wrong. They could have changed, I noticed a post saying they had a lawsuit? (I've been somewhat removed from the forums for a while due to being to damn busy) I'm not one to believe rumors but there were quite a few people on here that would mention INQ as a bad source for info. That being said I am well aware that they have had plenty of GOOD articles, thats why I just read the articles and use my best judgement. What was their lawsuit over? Guess I'll have to google it. :)

Well I personally love the Inquirer and it's actually the only website I check every day. They are pretty biased against Nvidia, however they have very good reasons for this just like Linus Torvold did and it's not as if they are calling AMD a saint or anything like that.

Back