- Joined
- Jun 3, 2003
- Messages
- 6,677
Meh, tells us little we didn't know. Most of the article seems devoted to recapping the past year.visaris said:More commentary on the demo:
Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
Meh, tells us little we didn't know. Most of the article seems devoted to recapping the past year.visaris said:More commentary on the demo:
visaris said:
While I don't think this is the case, it does stress that seeing more would have been nice. See, look at me go; another post about the quad-core demo.You got it wrong - task manager was at almost 100% only because the AMD sample was running at a clock frequency of 5 MHz![]()
Scali2 said:Yea, but in other news:
http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/display/20061024001546.html
Somehow these articles try to make it sound like AMD is the first, while Intel already had its stuff working last month. Intel even provided benchmarks... where are AMD's benchmarks? If they demonstrate it, I want to know what they can do aswell. Intel's stuff performed excellently, like you'd expect from the finished product.
Which is also why I would find it strange if AMD would be first to market... that could only mean that AMD is rushing things, which can never be good for product quality.
MrWizard6600 said:Amd isnt the first to 16 procs, they're the first to 4 core on one die.
who knows, maybe theyll pull an intel by sticking two of those dies on a single wafer, and introducing 32 Cores!![]()
w1retap said:Some of you guys need to write a book on this. Everyone is an expert in unreleased products all of a sudden.![]()
duby229 said:Not unless someone figures out a way to do automated threading. In order for that to work, we'd also need automated programming, and that ain't gonna happen.
I think sooner or later we will see a shift away from multi-core to something else. What that something else is, I don't know, but like I said there are some very real limitations to the number of cores that can be programmed for realistically.
OppoKaze said:I would encourage you to leave this thread simply because you won't make headway in this argument.
It seems that Visaris merely wanted to alert people to the fact that AMD demoed native quad core rather than debate the quality or the legitimacy of this demo.
I would enjoy it if you started a new thread on this subjuect "(in the AMD forum, because it certainly is not off topic), because I agree with you.
duby229 said:I agree with you Donnie. It's not much of anything except a "Hey we didnt do so well with 4x4 so look at this instead"
I think this is an attempt by AMD to remove attention from 4x4. Sucks, but it is most likely true.
Don't hold your breath.Donnie27 said:I couldn't agree more!
I can't wait for the real K8L demos to take place and look forward to them. The Geek in me is anxious to see it. I don't gamble but I'd bet more Geeks want to see it kick ass! Only some crazy folks want to see this not turn out well for AMD. Don't get me wrong here, I don't want to see X2 prices again because AMD wiped the floored with Intel but faster with good prices would be nice![]()
coldpower27 said:Don't hold your breath.Intel has no competition for it's Quad Core's right now so it's charging 800+ for them. i
...
Really and where do you have speculation on the Q6400 or Q6300? I would like a link please.savantu said:That's why in Q1 Intel will offer a Q6600 for $851 , Q6400 for ~$550 and a Q6300 for $316 ?
![]()
The Q6600 will work at 2.4 GHz, while Q6300 will be clocked at 1.86 GHz and Q6400 will work at 2.13 GHz.
That isn't quite sufficient, as that article is 1 fairly old now, and 2 it is wrong on the Xeon DP Clovertown FSB speeds, as there are indeed 2 models with 1.33GHZ FSB as well as the lower end versions of 1.06GHZ FSB.Scali2 said:http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=34652
So basically the clockspeed is the same as on the E6x00-series dualcores...
coldpower27 said:Don't hold your breath.Intel has no competition for it's Quad Core's right now so it's charging 800+ for them. if AMD's K8L/K10 derivatives come in more powerful, expect them to charge as much as they can.
Just like how Intel will not be dropping prices on the Core 2 Duo's as AMD hasn't brought anything more powerful to compete.
I hope K8L/K10 Quad Core do well, as that means I can get an Intel Quad Core for cheaper.
TechHead said:Ok. I'd like this discussion to continue in a nice, friendly manner. I don't really appreciate namecalling and personal attacks, and I'd like to keep them off this thread.
Keep it on topic.. i.e. DISCUSSION of the demo of the native quad-core solution from AMD.
: )TechHead said:Ok. I'd like this discussion to continue in a nice, friendly manner. I don't really appreciate namecalling and personal attacks, and I'd like to keep them off this thread.
Keep it on topic.. i.e. DISCUSSION of the demo of the native quad-core solution from AMD.
TechHead said:Ok. I'd like this discussion to continue in a nice, friendly manner. I don't really appreciate namecalling and personal attacks, and I'd like to keep them off this thread.
Keep it on topic.. i.e. DISCUSSION of the demo of the native quad-core solution from AMD.
Scali2 said:Does this include comparisons against Intel's technology or not? That's what I'd like to know.
mastercheeze said:Why would it? More importantly, HOW would it? How do you compare a tech demo with a product already on the market? When you post the first response and it's a link to an intel tech demo, upon which you engage in rampant speculation, what purpose would that have in a discussion of an amd tech demo?
moon02 said:Scali with AMD's new power saving features they are putting on the k8l ie each core being able to power up and down independantly, do you think it would have been feasible for them to use a shared cache like Intel. When I sat back and thought about your arguments I was thinking this could be the reason for the big differance in architecture here.
visaris said:
moon02 said:Scali with AMD's new power saving features they are putting on the k8l ie each core being able to power up and down independantly, do you think it would have been feasible for them to use a shared cache like Intel. When I sat back and thought about your arguments I was thinking this could be the reason for the big differance in architecture here.
Guiseppe Amato started the second part of the event with a very unpleasant slide for AMD (later on, it was even removed from the PDF version of the presentation, which explains its "pirate" quality in our article):