AMD Counter-Strikes Itself, Pulls Driver After Anti-Lag Feature Causes CS2 Bans

Also, banning players is a heavy handed approach to a system that depends on automation. In most cases, you can't even appeal the ban.

Overwatch in CS was rank aware and had many, many people review cases. They still banned multiple pros.

Anyone else would have been irreversibly fucked.

The only route AMD could take is push developers to implement Anti-lag into their games, like Nvidia did with Reflex. AMD doesn't have the influence nor the capital to push for such a feature to be included in as many games as Nvidia does, so it makes sense to do what they did.
I don't think that is true, at all. AMD likely did what they did, to more quickly get a new, desirable feature available. So that they could sell more cards during this buying season. I am otherwise certain that they have enough money to spend time with developers. The trouble is, spending the time, not the money.

Only a simple lesson that people continue to fail regardless of the vendor. Don't update your video card driver right away, unless your having a issue or playing some new game that came out then there is no reason to update the driver right away. Just like windows updates, let some other sucker test the waters for you.
I don't diagree but it's a little ridiculous to use this as a lesson in regards to anything. Nobody should fear updating their drivers based off a one-in-a-million chance that you'll get banned by VAC. Reminds me the logic behind many old wive's tales :p

I don't diagree but it's a little ridiculous to use this as a lesson in regards to anything. Nobody should fear updating their drivers based off a one-in-a-million chance that you'll get banned by VAC. Reminds me the logic behind many old wive's tales :p

I don't think it was even up for a day when they pulled it, plus CS2 is hardly a demanding game that would require it. Same reason I don't let windows just do a update for me either, then you see posts about a SSD dying after the update or something else. Just no need to rush and update something unless your having a issue, otherwise you just might create a issue you wish you never had. Funny thing is the driver actually didn't get them banned anyway, it was turning on a feature in the driver.

AMD handled the user effect well. However, it should have never happened. The fallout, and bad press is a horribly bad look. On the upside, the fact that the Intel 14th Gen CPU is such a POS, that it gave AMD a bit of coverage in the press cycle. Normies will never know.

Nobody should fear updating their drivers, but it's good practice to procrastinate updating them because new drivers can bring new problems. It's good practice to procrastinate updating anything because it isn't like updates don't sometimes break things.

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/a...ounter-strike-2-bans-after-valve-roasted-them

AMD quickly withdrew its latest Radeon driver this afternoon because using it with Valve's Counter Strike 2 could result in a ban by the Valve Anti-Cheat tool (h/t @9550pro). AMD promises to fix the issue, whereas Valve plans to identify affected users and reverse their ban once everything returns to normal.

One key feature AMD added to its AMD Software: Adrenalin Edition 23.10.1 driver for Radeon graphics processors was Anti-Lag+ support for Valve's Counter Strike 2 game. But as it turns out, Anti-Lag+ feature support was implemented by detouring engine.dll functions, which VAC considers cheating and acts accordingly by banning users.

I mean it's kinda funny.

Anti-lag+ is back as Anti-lag 2. Now it has to be integrated on a per game basis by individual developers based on sdk provided by AMD

https://community.amd.com/t5/gaming...-preview-now-available-in-counter/ba-p/686012

I was just thinking a few days ago when the f..... were they going to release a replacement.

Back