AMD considering breaking GPU and CPU divisions

madgun

[H]ard|Gawd
A very welcome move indeed:

http://wccftech.com/amd-splitting-enterprise-graphics/

I hope ATI comes back!

This new comes from none other than Reuters:
“One option under consideration is separating AMD’s graphics and licensing business from its server business, which sells processors that power data centers, one of the people said. ”
“AMD had explored such a move in the past and decided against it, the people said. Su, however, who took over as CEO last October, judged that there is merit for the company to at least consider such a possibility again, the people added. There is no certainty that a split or spin-off will occur, the people cautioned.” @Reuters

Read more: http://wccftech.com/amd-splitting-enterprise-graphics/#ixzz3de6tDUey

Samsung, with .04nm tech?
I dont see how AMD CPU with the on die GPUs will make the crossover.

Sorry but this is way out of context. A lot of companies look at ways to restructure segment, even selling off, to change their value. Besides it is just information and possibilities. Like many here who look at 980Ti and Fury. Just info for possibilities.

The prospect of an independent ATI unburdened by the vast debt AMD owes, and free to do its innovation and research is mouth watering.

That argument works for AMD as well if they had no debt they could do a lot better.

Shallow short sighted "grass is always greener on the other side" mentality is something that is usally reserved for people who can make money on it rather then long term view which would deal with debt instead of allowing split companies to make the same mistakes.

ATI coming back from the abyss and leaving behind the AMD brand name is the need of the hour. I think a split is where I see their graphics division to prosper.

ATI coming back from the abyss and leaving behind the AMD brand name is the need of the hour. I think a split is where I see their graphics division to prosper.

What difference will it make? The lowest common denominator will still buy nvidia no matter whose name is on the other video card.

Not sure how Reuters got it wrong :/

But they clearly mentioned that the new CEO is exploring this idea according to inside sources.

Not sure how Reuters got it wrong :/

But they clearly mentioned that the new CEO is exploring this idea according to inside sources.

And everyone hears these things and it is not uncommon. It is not so much about Reuters as it is about the people who pay for this "information" to be leaked.

The timing between releases of AMD hardware is not a mistake. It is done in a timeframe where AMD tries to push new hardware to OEM and the rumour circle jerk gets started. Last time it was Samsung and was that not from Forbes?

of course they are exploring all the options, but it has to make business sense. and of course they would deny it.

not really. Not if ATI became another nvidia. AMD is a graphics and CPU company now and its good for us.

ATI would have the independent resources to combat nVidia on multiple fronts. Back in 2007 ATI had a split market share with nVidia. But all changed after AMD took over ATI.

With the burden that AMD presents with a largely lagging CPU department, it makes perfect sense to have an independent graphics division.

Back