AMD Denies Breakup / Spinoff Rumors

HardOCP News

[H] News
AMD is denying the rumors that popped up on the internet yesterday claiming the company was looking into spinning off or breaking up the business to better compete with Intel.

We say “reportedly,” because according to AMD’s own spokesperson Sarah Youngbauer told ExtremeTech the following: “While we normally would not comment on such a matter, we can confirm that we have no such project in the works at this time. We remain committed to the long-term strategy we laid out for the company in May at our Financial Analyst Day.”

it would be fun if the sec/doj took a look into this report by Reuters and where and who they got the information from and if any funds changed hands. Looking like malicious FUD possibly spread by a competitor

Indeed.

I'd take it since it got AMD's attention enough to warrant an official response, it got AMD's legal department's attention too. Curious to see if anything will come of this. Reuters look like idiots right now.

Indeed.

I'd take it since it got AMD's attention enough to warrant an official response, it got AMD's legal department's attention too. Curious to see if anything will come of this. Reuters look like idiots right now.

This is what I'm thinking. Pretty stupid on their part.

AMD Would never release ATI i'm pretty sure. Their SoC solutions based off the on chip graphics are pretty popular right now compared to more expensive AMD offerings.

It wasn't long ago that they merged !

I wish them luck. Lets not forget it wasn't too long ago when AMD was the Hero, out-performing Intel's processors in most tasks, and AMD got us through the whole RDRAM Debacle.

I say bring it on!

It didn't make a lick of sense.
They could just as well bury their x86 division and go Graphics/ ARM (if they are making money off or ARM) all the way, since ARM is a fairly cheap license anyway.
The X86 license they can't sell or nothing, so if they aren't making any money off it, have no real plans to make competetive CPUs, they could unwind their x86 division and go for graphics and ARM, or just graphics.

I mean, I think its unlikely an AMD of x86 CPUs only like the past would survive at all, Intel is too far ahead.

Can they look for investors, yeah, why not, but how would splitting would help them in any way.

Indeed.

Joke might be on us. 2 months down the road AMD splits :eek:

And most companies are quickest to deny things just before announcing them a month later.

Exactly my thought.....

This rumor seems founded. I would be willing to bet something is in the mix for AMD.

how would a spin off help?

Their cpu division is way way behind

Just an example, but if the new CEO decides to focus on CPU only, then they wouldn't need the GPU division. They could sell it off while it's value is high to raise money that will keep them afloat as they carry out their new strategy.

Of course it wouldn't make sense if AMD wishes to continue down the APU SoC path. But if for some reason, the new CEO decides that AMD should go back to that old AMD without ATI, then it would make sense to at least consider selling off it's graphics division, which is what this rumor was about. It merely states that AMD is hiring someone to evaluate that option, whether they will take it or not remains to be seen.

Back