AMD Chipset Driver 18.10.20.02

fightingfi

2[H]4U
where can i get this before i update my bios plz? I found this on the gigabyte website BUT its NOT on the amd.com site so lost and confused

A while back Kyle linked the AMD one that was pretty small in size compared to the 3rd party ones.

https://www.amd.com/en/products/chipsets-am4

Revision Number
Supports:

• Windows® 7/10 for
    • 2nd Gen AMD Ryzen™ Desktop Processor
    • 7th-Gen AMD A-Series Processors
    • AMD Ryzen™ Desktop Processor
    • AMD X470 Chipset
    • AMD X370 Chipset
    • AMD B450 Chipset
    • AMD B350 Chipset
    • AMD A320 Chipset
  • Windows® 10 only for
    • 2nd Gen AMD Ryzen™ Threadripper™ Processor
    • AMD Ryzen™ Threadripper™ Processor
    • AMD Ryzen™ Desktop Processor with Radeon™ Vega Graphics
    • AMD X399 Chipset
Package Includes:

• AMD Chipset Drivers
  • AMD Ryzen™ Balanced Power Plan

Asus and a few others have the newer 20.02 driver on their mobo support sites. The package version is different, but the release notes state that chipset driver 18.10.20.02 is in there. On AMD's site, only the 18.10 driver is available.

I have a gigabyte b450 board that told me the same thing, I just updated with the latest off AMD's site without issues.

What does a Chipset driver have to do with your BIOS update?
  1. Update AGESA 1.0.0.6
  2. Improve performance on Athlon 200-series APU
Note: Update AMD Chipset Driver 18.10.20.02 or latest version before update this BIOS.

1. Update AGESA 1.0.0.6
  2. Improve performance on Athlon 200-series APU
Note: Update AMD Chipset Driver 18.10.20.02 or latest version before update this BIOS.

That doesn't explain anything. The way it's worded implies your BIOS update will fail or render your computer unusable if you don't update an OS driver first, which makes no sense.

What if you use linux or install a fresh copy of Windows? Will the new BIOS not install?

I would assume it means IN-PLACE Windows installations will have issues with the new BIOS if you don't update the driver.

I know English isn't Asus' first language, but they need to explain things more clearly...

Here's what ASRock posted under my motherboard Bios section. Seems like if you don't update to the latest chipset drivers your computer won't boot and you'd have to uninstall old chipset drivers in safe mode or downgrade the bios.

my guess is there's a change in the AGESA code that windows doesn't like or microsoft won't fix(could explain why 1.0.0.6 took so long to release) so the chipset drivers are bypassing it. may not be an issue with linux at all.

I just built up a 2400G system with a Gigabyte B450M-DS3H board. F1 was out of the box, I flashed it to F3 which has the AGESA 1.0.0.6 and saw the same warning on their site about the chipset drivers. Installed Win 10 Home and used the chipset drivers from AMD support site, no issues.

I just installed a Gigabyte B450 board/2600 CPU and noticed the 20.02 driver. I usually install the chipset driver directly from AMD. Unless i'm mistaken the AMD 18.10.1810 does not include a graphics driver and for whatever reason the 20.02 does. I went ahead and followed the recommended procedure and first installed Windows 10 with the boards shipping bios, installed the 20.02 chipset then updated to the latest bios. What I then noticed is that the Gigabyte 18.20.02 actually installs an earlier chipset driver version 17.12...…..Can someone explain why this 18.20.02 exist ?

Back