AMD Catalyst 14.4 Windows / Linux Driver Now Available

Yeah, they're pretty stock. I OC once in a while if bored, but the small real-world difference and me running all my equipment 24/7 doesn't make the instability worth it.

Main rig doubles as server most of the time.

I assume that P67 is rev2? Cougar Point had a sata bug that caused all kinds of weirdness until intel did a recall and replaced them all with rev2.

In partucular, the bug would cause crc errors on the intel sata ports. No data corruption due to error correction, but it caused all kinds of crashes and hangups.

Yeah, it's Rev2, hence RAID Controller for 8 HDDs :(

Only the SATA 3 ports are usable (OS SSD), since I missed the recall. The SATA 2 ports don't even recognize anything.

ouch.

I mispoke, rev3 (B3) was the replacement, not rev2.

im out of ideas, my 290pro works fine on my P8P67 deluxe with these drivers.

check the event viewer for disk errors on the raid ports maybe? it really sounds like a disk subsystem issue.

Last edited:
Unstable for me. The random boxes that show up when opening Outlook or IE are replaced with horizontal lines that come and go. :(

ouch.

I mispoke, rev3 (B3) was the replacement, not rev2.

im out of ideas, my 290pro works fine on my P8P67 deluxe with these drivers.

check the event viewer for disk errors on the raid ports maybe? it really sounds like a disk subsystem issue.

Thanks, I'll check this. I hadn't noticed any errors outside of videogame/video use though, which is why I didn't suspect the mobo. I download... 100% legit stuffs (uh, yeah) 24/7, so I figured if an issue related to disk use, I should've seen random BSODs outside of GPU use. The crashes I experienced were consistent, but then again I guess this could be a Rev2 issue I just hadn't thought of.

TBH, I've come very close to replacing it a few times, but I don't really need the SATA 2 ports so no immediate need. Also don't NEED Z77. Would be nice, sure, but a waste of $$$ compared to upgrading something else. Maybe time to move on to avoid issues like this one, though, hrmm...

Last edited:
Unstable for me. The random boxes that show up when opening Outlook or IE are replaced with horizontal lines that come and go. :(

I had this issue with my system a few drivers back - strange horizontal line artifacts above the title bar of a maximized window. For a while it seemed like some corruption between the monitor and GPU - when the lines would flash in and out the rest of the "viewport" would shake up or down by 1-2 pixels. It really freaked me out, but I eventually narrowed it down to the 2d clocks - any change from default 2d speeds and it would exhibit the described behavior. 3d overclocking still works fine however. Also note that I never bothered to disable ULPS with my crossfire setup, so thats another factor to consider.

Regarding the new driver:
14.4 seems stable on my crossfired 7850s, but my second card looks stuck at 99% usage at the desktop when it should be idle - I did not have this particular issue pre-14.4. Other than that, BF4 in DX11 runs well, Mantle+crossfire was giving me some issues with the previous driver so I still need to test it.

EDIT: Disabling ULPS looks to have fixed the issue with my second card. I used the registry method, changing several keys by the name of "DisableUlps" - making sure the value was set to zero.

Last edited:
the 14.4 beta's gave me stuttering in bf4 (290x lightnings cfx). Uninstalled them via control panel (no DDU or anything), replaced with these, and had the highest fidelity, smoothest bf4 experience ever @1600p, 120% resolution scale, 90 FOV. (4770k, no CPU or GPU overclock). No stuttering in vsync either.

color me impressed.

played BF4 for only about an hour last night but these seemed great. stuttering is almost gone and performance is better than DX11 on my single 290X.

I'm running 290X CF.

Installed 14.4 leak. Numerous problems, including system freezes/lockups during videogames and video playback.

Installed 14.4 RC. Same issues.

Performed low-level format. Didn't reinstall Windows 8.1 just in case that was the issue and installed to Server 2012 R2 Datacenter. Reinstalled 14.4 RC. Same issues, same exact points of system lockup during gameplay (these were always consistent, such as game freezing during opening "water" scene of BF4 Campaign, or game freezing after getting the yellow Porsche in NFS:MW).

Removed all other PCIe devices (RAID controller, Asus Xonar Essence ST) just in case they were causing issues, and tested with only 290X CF installed. Same issues.

Tried with CF disabled. Same issues.

Tried with only one 290X installed. Same issues.

Reverted to 14.3. Received AMD driver failures during gameplay instead of system lock. Not as bad, but still not as great as I'd like.

Reverted to 14.2. No issues so far! Me = very happy. Will update if 14.2 gives me shit.

Relevant system specs:

Sapphire R9 290X Crossfire
Asus P8P67 Pro
i7-3770K mild overclock (varies) w/ CLC
OCZ Vector 150 240GB
2560x1440
32GB RAM
Windows Server 2012 R2 Datacenter / Windows 8.1 Enterprise / Windows 7 Enterprise (untested -- don't use it as much lately)

Does your board have a NF200 chip? That causes issues all over the place for AMD R9's.

I just checked and IT DOES! I could never get it working. There is a known issue with R9 290x's running with boards with a NF200 chip. I was one of them and I bought a new motherboard and all issues were gone. I am almost 100% certain this is the issue.

played BF4 for only about an hour last night but these seemed great. stuttering is almost gone and performance is better than DX11 on my single 290X.

What kind of FPS are you getting on your rig and at what settings? I will be running exact specs once my GPU arrives, thanks!

What kind of FPS are you getting on your rig and at what settings? I will be running exact specs once my GPU arrives, thanks!

at 2560x1440 and under Mantle i run all max max settings with the exception of MSAA lowered to 2x, 105 FOV. minimum framerate is probably around 60fps or so in the worst instance (e.g. Oman 64p Conquest). it's tough to give an average framerate since it varies so much.

Does your board have a NF200 chip? That causes issues all over the place for AMD R9's.

I just checked and IT DOES! I could never get it working. There is a known issue with R9 290x's running with boards with a NF200 chip. I was one of them and I bought a new motherboard and all issues were gone. I am almost 100% certain this is the issue.

no, only the asus P8P67 WS REVO boards have a NF200 chip, the others do not.

this driver is also keeping my 1100/1400 overclock without issue. i got some pretty bad throttling with the 14.1's and 14.2's.

edit: false alarm. still throttling at those clocks.

Last edited:
this driver is also keeping my 1100/1400 overclock without issue. i got some pretty bad throttling with the 14.1's and 14.2's.

edit: false alarm. still throttling at those clocks.
Are you on water or a custom cooler? Those are high clocks with the reference cooler.

Nope I'm on the reference cooler. Those clocks are rock solid under DX11.

Under which games?

BF4. jesus your question made me realize i need to play something else, all i've been playing the last few months is BF4. clocks held solid while playing the Titanfall beta too.

I upgraded from the 13.12 drivers to the 14.4's, using Uninstall --> Reboot --> DDU --> Reboot --> Install method.

No problems with Diablo 3, MPC-HC using madVR or any other clock weirdness with my R9 290X. Windows 7 here. No issues whatsoever.

Does it fix the screen going black and the computer locking up hard in Battlefield 4? Assholes.

What driver are you getting this? Eyefinity by any chance?

I switched from 13.12 to 14.4 and only have problems with bf4. And only when try launching with eyefinity. Hard locks, screen is black with sound loop. If I break eyefinity and launch bf4 on one monitor it plays fine. Other games tested with eyefinity all work fine, just bf4.

Either play bf4 on one monitor and have titian fall texture flickering gone. Or revert back to 13.12 so I can play bf4 on 3 screens and have titian fall flickering. Ugh....

These drivers, like the 14.2/14.3 betas seem to crash every few hours when playing FFXIV. Back to 13.12.

I didn't try to use Eyefinity, I was just using my 24 inch monitor.

There is another option than those you listed, which is what I did: return the card for a refund, because it doesn't fucking work. I put my GTX 260 back in and it's rock solid, like it was when I removed it. I did have to spend half an hour tracking down all the horseshit AMD installed on my computer, and all the reg entries they never removed.

Shit like this is why I stopped using ATI in the AGP days. You can have all the hardware in the world, and it doesn't matter when you have a bunch of monkeys hammering out nonsense for drivers.

I upgraded from the 13.12 drivers to the 14.4's, using Uninstall --> Reboot --> DDU --> Reboot --> Install method.

No problems with Diablo 3, MPC-HC using madVR or any other clock weirdness with my R9 290X. Windows 7 here. No issues whatsoever.

I seem to have some problems with D3:RoS , the screen freezes seem way more often then 14.1 and it sucks when you still have a decent amount of bonus xp left 500M :) .

My crashing problems came back, so I've now used it as an excuse to finally purchase an ASUS Maximus V Extreme to replace my mobo. Will post update after it arrives later this week

BF4. jesus your question made me realize i need to play something else, all i've been playing the last few months is BF4. clocks held solid while playing the Titanfall beta too.
I've found BF4 to be a bit more tolerant of high clocks which is why I asked :) I get more throttling under games like Tomb Raider fully maxed out with SSAA.

All you Radeon owners out there should hustle on over to AMD and download the new AMD Catalyst 14.4 Catalyst drivers. In addition to support for the AMD Radeon R9 295X, the drivers offer the following fixes and improvements:

Thank you for posting Steve (you beat me to it ;) )

I just wanted to remind everyone to read the Release Notes for more details about this driver. And please use the Issue Reporting Form to report any bugs or issues you may find.

Been using it crossfire since release, no problems here

Wish ESO would support true fullscreen for crossfire/sli

BF4 black screen lock fix.

I just got a 290 on Friday and this started happening on a fresh driver install. It seems that the fan profile is not adapting to higher temperatures under load, IE fan speed is constant no matter how hot it gets. I fixed it by going into catalyst and turning on overdrive, change max temp to 90 and max fan speed to 55. Values don't have to be exact, but at least makes the profile adjust its speed as it should by default.

I just got a 290 on Friday and this started happening on a fresh driver install. It seems that the fan profile is not adapting to higher temperatures under load, IE fan speed is constant no matter how hot it gets. I fixed it by going into catalyst and turning on overdrive, change max temp to 90 and max fan speed to 55. Values don't have to be exact, but at least makes the profile adjust its speed as it should by default.

Why do you guys tolerate that bullshit?

I'm guessing it has to do with factory overclocked versions. AMD OC suffers from black screen while Nvidia OC suffers from BF4 crashes.

My stock clock AMD doesn't have any issue.

It isnt.

For example, on my 290, I can get an immediate black screen just by running Heaven Benchmark in full screen, every single time.
It does it at slowest clocks, normal clocks and overclocked, with or without a 290x BIOS (fully unlocked).
If I run it in a window it runs fine under all circumstances.

My previous install of Windows did this also.
Then my new install of Windows was ok for a while, but started doing the same thing.
Its AMDs messed up drivers.

Why do you guys tolerate that bullshit?

You mean a problem it took me all of 5 minutes to fix? I'm not even trying to defend AMD, these types of problems shouldn't be happening, but I had a very similar fan profile problem with my nvidia cards, plus the god awful nvlddmkm.sys problem that went on for what it seemed like forever, so let's not turn this into a red team vs green team argument.

I'm guessing it has to do with factory overclocked versions. AMD OC suffers from black screen while Nvidia OC suffers from BF4 crashes.

My stock clock AMD doesn't have any issue.

I actually had this happen to a 290 reference, stock clocks.

How hot exactly was the card getting?

The card max temp should be set to 95, not 90. If you set it to 90, you are most likely going to experience throttling issues on a reference cooler. If it's an aftermarket cooler based card then it may just be a weird BIOS issue from the vendor. They should be setting up appropriate fan profiles in their own BIOS. I usually customize mine with MSI Afterburner personally.

Back