AMD Catalyst 12.8 is Now Available

Status
Not open for further replies.
These drivers fixed my color temperature settings being reset everytime I rebooted. So I can finally have my 6900K glory! Also VLC 2.0.3 "use GPU acclerated decoding" is now working properly.

Also driver sweeper is no more. There is a new program called "Driver Fusion" for the people that used a cleaner program prior to installing the new drivers.

Whoa, will this finally fix the "Card is running at a ridiculously slow speed because you were trying to watch a video while playing games" issue?
At least your card slowed down; my games would always crash because the display driver would stop working if I watched youtube during a game!

E: I just wish a Catalyst driver could come along that would fix CF stuttering, especially in BF3 where I feel like the game is at 25fps when Fraps/Afterburner show 60.

Last edited:
I'd gladly go to AMD and do a total wipe of their code base. These Internet stories are scary.

Firefox is freaking out when I play flash videos after this install.

it's been freaking out with me since the last 2 driver releases.
Both firefox and flash seem to hate amd.
I just installed the new 12.8 drivers, first thing that happens when visiting this forum: screeng oes to black, almost a hardlock. Recovers just in time with a "display driver stopped responding" message...

gg amd. well fucking done.
8 fucking months and they still haven't fixed their shit. I'm completely done with those retards that work at amd. I'm at a loss of words here...
Saying that i'm enfuriated is an understatement.

I have not had this issue since I installed 12.6.. not once. Screen saver at 5 min, monitor off at 10 min, computer on pretty much 24/7.

Same. The previous one (12.4?) messed up with HDMI Audio, but both 12.6 and 12.8 work fine.

it's been freaking out with me since the last 2 driver releases.
Both firefox and flash seem to hate amd.
I just installed the new 12.8 drivers, first thing that happens when visiting this forum: screeng oes to black, almost a hardlock. Recovers just in time with a "display driver stopped responding" message...

Same thing. I put together my new gear and got this error, and was really afraid that my new card was damaged, but it only happens when using Firefox, so I just got used to it. Happens once in a while. It sucks, but I guess we'll have to wait until AMD stops being lazy and fix that once and for all.

BTW, the first driver I installed was 12.4(?). Got the error. With 12.6 and 12.8 it's the same thing.

These 12.8 finally fixed my problem with windows turning off my monitor, and im not getting corrupted textures in games

Good Things
Overscan issue is fixed at start-up
No longer get "display driver stopped responding" during every League of Legends game

Big Bad Thing
I've had my computer just restart on me by itself like 5 times since I installed upgrade from 12.7 Beta :mad:

Good Things
Overscan issue is fixed at start-up
No longer get "display driver stopped responding" during every League of Legends game

Big Bad Thing
I've had my computer just restart on me by itself like 5 times since I installed upgrade from 12.7 Beta :mad:

Did you uninstall the 12.7 beta first? Also, did you disable any videocard overclocking to see if that helps?

Did you uninstall the 12.7 beta first? Also, did you disable any videocard overclocking to see if that helps?

I uninstalled 12.7 beta, rebooted into safe mode, use Driver Sweeper, restarted back into Windows to install 12.8

It restarted 3 times before I even overclocked my GPU. And it restarted twice after overclocking back to the 1000/1575 I managed under CCC in 12.7 beta. (It restarted once during running 3DMark Vantage but it ran fine after it).

And the restarts seemingly random. Could survive 3 hours and do it twice in 5 minutes. And event viewer has nothing that stands out to explain what the hell is going on.

I ran HW monitor when playing a LoL game and it didn't restart at all and that's probably the hardest GPU load I've put it through today as far as temperatures..

Last edited:
Try disabling any 3rd party gpu background utilities if you have not already.

I was having problems with GPU driver crashes and BSODs a couple months ago without any driver changes(was using 12.1 preview), I tried different drivers and even did a fresh install of windows but nothing fixed the problem and I was about to RMA my card when I figured out that it was Firefox and/or Flash causing the problem. I downgraded from Firefox 13 to Firefox 12 a few weeks ago and haven't had a single problem since, I've been meaning to try Firefox 14 but it's been nice having a stable system and I haven't wanted to deal with it.

These drivers are crap once more....Trifire 6970s struggling to push BF3 max settings at 1920x1200....back to 12.4 I go....

Try disabling any 3rd party gpu background utilities if you have not already.

I just went ahead and redid a clean manual uninstall and re-install. So far, so good with the 12.8 and crashes thus far.

Still get occasional FF slowdowns even with hardware acceleration off.Better than a out of the blue reset.

Everything working fine here.

Tested in BF3, Crysis 2, Mechwarrior Online, Dota 2, Shogun 2 and Civ 5.

Anyone still having Skyrim Crossfire issues? Mine seems like its either working poorly, or perhaps not at all. Although it does seem at least smoother then 12.7 was which I had tons of hitching on.
I ran 2x5870s with Skyrim on 12.4 and 12.7 and never had issues, might be worthwhile to completely clean out your drivers and re-install

I dunno, I see alot of complaints here.

One thing I can say about crossfire, trifire, & quadfire and new AMD drivers is this. Fresh OS install. Forget driver sweeper, driver fusion, ati man, AMD manual driver uninstall, etc, etc. For best results and maximum performance a fresh OS install always seems to be the only course of action if you are running a multi-card AMD setup.

I know its a pain in the ass, I know its not a popular voodoo position, but there it is. Having been to hell and back getting my quadfire 5x1 system perfect, I will not even mess with new AMD drivers unless I am doing a fresh OS install.

And then make sure you disable ULPS and disable Core Parking, set CCC performance settings to performance and make sure you run realistic settings in game. I know people wanna run OMG ALL ULTRAZ settings but there is a sweet spot compromise between eyecandy, reported frame rates and actual game play smoothness.

Last edited:
I installed 12.8 and everything is great. In fact, everything since the first 12.7 beta has been great. I think some of you guys are really not uninstalling your previous drivers correctly. I used to use Driver Sweeper and all that did was cause problems because it doesn't delete everything or it sometimes deletes too much. Now, I use Atiman Uninstaller and then just do a registry cleaning with Ccleaner afterwards. Since I have started using this method I have never had one single issue with anything. Admittedly though, after using Driver Sweeper for every Catalyst since 11.10 I had to do a fresh install of Windows because it had messed so many things up over time. However, since the new install of Windows and sticking strictly to Atiman Uninstaller everything has been smooth sailing for the past 6 months.

I've said it once and I'll say it again....

Once, I find a STABLE driver, I stick with it until I run into serious system/game crippling issues.

*Still rocking 11.12 on a 6950 2GB on Win7

Last edited:

One thing I can say about crossfire, trifire, & quadfire and new AMD drivers is this. Fresh OS install. Forget driver sweeper, driver fusion, ati man, AMD manual driver uninstall, etc, etc. For best results and maximum performance a fresh OS install always seems to be the only course of action if you are running a multi-card AMD setup.

I know its a pain in the ass, I know its not a popular voodoo position, but there it is. Having been to hell and back getting my quadfire 5x1 system perfect, I will not even mess with new AMD drivers unless I am doing a fresh OS install.

And then make sure you disable ULPS and disable Core Parking, set CCC performance settings to performance and make sure you run realistic settings in game. I know people wanna run OMG ALL ULTRAZ settings but there is a sweet spot compromise between eyecandy, reported frame rates and actual game play smoothness.

Now that is some straight up BS right there... lol at the fresh OS install everytime a new driver comes out.

I have uninstalled my XP, 4830 P.C.'s Flash since years ago because of random reboots, and this was without hardware acceleration/overclocking.

problems with crossfire 7770 and 12.8/firefox. happens on long webpages, and you scroll a lot on the page. someone narrowed it down to the fact that the working set memory in firefox gets out of hand and crashes the system/driver. went to 12.6, having issues with random lockups now.

was previously on 12.7 beta, no problems

I installed 12.8 and everything is great. In fact, everything since the first 12.7 beta has been great. I think some of you guys are really not uninstalling your previous drivers correctly. I used to use Driver Sweeper and all that did was cause problems because it doesn't delete everything or it sometimes deletes too much. Now, I use Atiman Uninstaller and then just do a registry cleaning with Ccleaner afterwards. Since I have started using this method I have never had one single issue with anything. Admittedly though, after using Driver Sweeper for every Catalyst since 11.10 I had to do a fresh install of Windows because it had messed so many things up over time. However, since the new install of Windows and sticking strictly to Atiman Uninstaller everything has been smooth sailing for the past 6 months.

I do exactly as you, ATIman and Ccleaner, but i still have issues.

The new problem this time; firefox is going black with some artifact if i have hardware acceleration activated, i do not have this problem with waterfox, tough.

And since the 12.7b, i have had problems with my second card wont go to idle speed unless i start up a 3d application and then going back to windows.. never had this problem before 12.7b. And its only weeks since i did a fresh windows install.

Performance wise, im really happy with my two 7970, they kick ass, but its these annoying problems that pisses me off..

And lets se if my BSOD/GSOD/Black screen and whatnot will be gone with this driver.

Last edited:

The new problem this time; firefox is going black with some artifact if i have hardware acceleration activated, i do not have this problem with waterfox, tough.

And since the 12.7b, i have had problems with my second card wont go to idle speed unless i start up a 3d application and then going back to windows.. never had this problem before 12.7b. And its only weeks since i did a fresh windows install.

Performance wise, im really happy with my two 7970, they kick ass, but its these annoying problems that pisses me off..

And lets se if my BSOD/GSOD/Black screen and whatnot will be gone with this driver.

Might be a bad card, if a UVD block is bad stuff like that might happen with firefox, youtube etc...however if a single card dont do this then crossfire might interfer ;)

so i'm not alone on this. Firefox is crashing constantly.
Showing black screens, hard locking my pc and eventually recovering with the very hated "display driver crash" error.

I have been reading through this thread and a lot of complaints about firefox crashing. Well do you all not think that it might be Firefox/Flash that has the problem? There are lots of complaints about firefox/flash not working right with Nvidia drivers as well. And anybody who knows anything about computers knows that Flash is the buggiest pile of programming ever.

Might be a bad card, if a UVD block is bad stuff like that might happen with firefox, youtube etc...however if a single card dont do this then crossfire might interfer

This problem is not a defective card, its something that was introduced with the 12.8

I have had problems with firefox and flash before this driver, but then it was a complete freeze of the whole system, i think it started happening with the 12.6

The driver team over at AMD must be chimps.

Last edited:
I have a 7970 crossfire setup and idle clocks on 2nd GPU are still messed up. They only downclock to 500 core / full memory (what you have set in MSI afterburner)

The last driver that actually worked was 12.4 which is pathetic. I never had a problem until I added the second card.

I'm disabling ulps and over clocking with MSI afterburner.
Anyone have this issue? Its like AMD doesn't want you to disable ULPS and over clock with afterburner so they purposely screw up the drivers.

Can anyone explain how to get crossfire over clocking working correctly with idle clocks on crossfire?

All I know is next time I'm going Nvidia after the horrible driver experience I've had with crossfire.

Last edited:
installed 7870 crossfire, no issues.

i dunno what you guys are experiencing.

That's some crazy voodoo shit for sure, lol. The days of Windows XP is long long gone. The tearing issue I have was introduced after the 12.4 release. I recently did a full wipe (OS, partitions, all of it) and installed the 12.7 drivers at the time and it didn't make a difference, so I really doubt that's what it is and im not gonna spend a full day of my time reinstalling everything, thats just carazy.

Now, something I do that might make a difference is that I install CCC on a non-primary HDD. My OS goes on a SSD, applications go on a giant HDD, and then my games go on a second SSD. I guess its possible that the computer pulling info from three different sources is causing conflicts...not sure.

Apparently you only read what you want to read, but heres the great news...I don't give a rats ass what you think.
Now that is some straight up BS right there... lol at the fresh OS install everytime a new driver comes out.

Ohhhh USMC why ohhh why are you still rocking 6970s? I had nothing but nightmarish issues with crossfire & trifire 6970s. Dare I say 6970s are total crap for multi-gpu (they are great for single card). You need to sell all three of em and get yourself two 680gtxs or two 7970s.
That's some crazy voodoo shit for sure, lol. The days of Windows XP is long long gone. The tearing issue I have was introduced after the 12.4 release. I recently did a full wipe (OS, partitions, all of it) and installed the 12.7 drivers at the time and it didn't make a difference, so I really doubt that's what it is and im not gonna spend a full day of my time reinstalling everything, thats just carazy.

Now, something I do that might make a difference is that I install CCC on a non-primary HDD. My OS goes on a SSD, applications go on a giant HDD, and then my games go on a second SSD. I guess its possible that the computer pulling info from three different sources is causing conflicts...not sure.

Single 6950, my only problem after installing 12.8 is Flash crashes (locks up firefox until I kill the plugin-container process). Happens seldom enough that I'm not going to bother going back, and it's hard to say whos fault it is. I'm inclined to blame flash. Who knows, it might have timing-dependencies which assume that GPU clock-speed is constant or some dumb shit.

Goddamn it. I see I'm going to have to pull apart another one of your nonsensical posts piece by piece.

Complaints from people using AMD drivers? Hrmm. I can guess what the link between all these individuals is and it isn't that they need to do fresh OS installs for each new driver release. And again most of the complaints are centered around CrossfireX users.

This is nonsense. First off, having been through hell and back with CrossfireX, I did this and it made no difference vs. uninstalling the drivers or hell even blindly installing over the earlier versions.

Well that's up to you, but frankly it's a pain in the ass and it is unnecessary. Go through and delete driver directories after an uninstall and clean the shit out of the registry yourself. It isn't that damned hard. This makes no sense either. Install the new driver and see if it works. If it doesn't you may be left with no recourse but a fresh OS install. But to start there when a simple driver install is so quick and generally painless? Nonsense. This is BAD advice.

OK, disabling ULPS with CrossfireX is actually a good idea. I'll give you that one. You shouldn't have to and that alone speaks volumes about AMD's current drivers and the state they are in. (Pitiful is one word I'd use.) As for the CCC settings, that's bullshit. with the exception of Battlefield 3, I can't think of any games that really can't be run on max, or near maximum settings with a pair of Radeon HD 7970's in CrossfireX. You don't need to go and gimp your settings in the CCC. In fact people buy, high end cards, or 2, or 3+ of them so they DON'T have to compromise on graphics settings. That's the point of such setups. And if I can do it at 7680x1600 with most games with only two cards, you don't need to find "realistic" settings most of the time. The console ports of today aren't that damn demanding in the first place.

I really don't know if I should switch to the new 12.8 drivers....I get the "display driver has stopped working" message every 30min-1hr in crysis. And when I watch video on certain sites using firefox. Currently on 12.6

These drivers are still borked for me running 7970 crossfire/trifire in eyefinity. Screen freezes still randomly in games. 3rd card is getting returned soon to amazon and I am going to try and sell my other 2 cards to offset the price of a 680's. I have just had enough of this monkey horse shit. For 8 months I have had nothing but problems.

A question I have. It has been awhile since I used nvida cards. Can I do SLI with a 690+680? Or do I need 3 680's or 2 690's?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back