AMD Catalyst 12.10 & 12.11 Beta Now Available

The disappearing Overdrive feature in CCC is caused by having MSI Afterburner installed. Uninstall it and reboot, I've had this problem since 12.7 I believe. I haven't upgraded to these drivers yet.

Thanks! I guess it's just broken on the card specific page for the 6900 series vs. the AIW series.

I am running two 6970s in crossfire on my Win x64 setup. When I installed the 12.10 drivers, my color scheme changed and was very dark. I also saw a loss in performance (FPS) in some game titles. I've upgraded to the 12.11 beta drivers and my performance has increased and the color scheme has returned to normal. Has anyone else experienced this issue?

My 7950 also appears to be stuck in a "non-idle" state. GPU clock is at 500MHz and Memory is at 1250. I did have a mild OC to 1000/1350 but I've since disabled it and it still won't idle.

Was running 12.10 and now at 12.11 with the same issue.

When installing these new drivers idle clock speeds are not working properly. What used to be idle clocks of 300/150 is now 500/1375 or lower depending on your card resulting in higher temps and a louder fan usage.

A fix has been discovered that will allow you to use the new drivers and also still benefit from having lower clocks until AMD release a hotfix driver.

First install the drivers+caps.

Once that is done start up CCC, go to overdrive and apply 300 core and 150 memory clocks.

After this go to preset, add preset, name the preset idle, put the tooltip as 2dclocks, under location leave all items ticked, then assign a hotkey. I used F5. Click save.

After that go to preferences in the top right of CCC, then hotkeys. Click idle and go to edit. In with Hotkey press F5, Click ok.

Now whenever you quickly need to apply idle clocks, just press Alt+F5 twice.

I use this after ive finished playing games and running my overclocks using afterburner in order to get the cards to clock down properly. :)

This also corrects the voltage being too high. :)

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showpost.php?p=23014508&postcount=1

I'm using 12.11 beta and afterburner 2.2.4, I have no issues whatsoever on a single reference 7970.

Amazing the drivers get through WHQL with shit like this... WTF is the point of the certification if they don't even check base things? :mad:

WHQL does not care if the card downclocks during idle or any other fancy features.

WHQL's only concern is that the drivers will not screw up your computer. (BSOD's, etc)

I'm using 12.11 and Dishonored refuses to play. I can make it to the loading screen for my current game, but after "press any key" the game just crashes.

WHQL does not care if the card downclocks during idle or any other fancy features.

WHQL's only concern is that the drivers will not screw up your computer. (BSOD's, etc)

This is a basic feature that affects *all* users though.

This is a basic feature that affects *all* users though.

Downclocking at idle is not a "basic" feature, it is a recent feature.
Yes it affects "all" users, but it does not affect system stability, therefor WHQL is not concerned.

WHQL's only purpose is to make sure certified drivers do not cause system instability.

Also, its not even a big deal. The difference between 300mhz and 500mhz is not going to be noticeable in heat output OR power consumption, nor will the difference in RAM speed. (Ram uses minimal power and produces minimal heat) Just wait for ATI to issue a hotfix.

A general note for Skyrim fans.

Try limiting your FPS to 1 or 2 below your refresh rate with something like Afterburner.

Try this with AB off and then on limiting FPS; tab up to your skills, hold the left or right movement button down and let it scroll as fast as it may. If it seems noticeably smoother with AB limiting FPS, you should probably leave it on. It will likely squash any or most all occasional skipping when running around. I suggest testing it that way because it's quick and easy.

I run around with a 200 speedmult in game and I'm very sensitive to any skipping or pausing. Limiting my FPS on my 7950 with AB made the game noticeably smoother when running about. I wouldn't say it's night and day and it's damn meaningful to my experience.

If you're getting chop in other games it's worth trying it in them as well.

Last edited:
My 7950 also appears to be stuck in a "non-idle" state. GPU clock is at 500MHz and Memory is at 1250. I did have a mild OC to 1000/1350 but I've since disabled it and it still won't idle.

Was running 12.10 and now at 12.11 with the same issue.

It doesn't happen if you use an HDMI cord but does happen if you use DVI.

My monitor wont come back from standby with these drivers, I have to turn it off and back again for the screen to work. Anyone else have this problem?

I'm sticking with 12.8.

12.10 is very unstable. I have the explorer.exe crashes that a lot of people seem to complain about. It screws up the one game that I tried.

In 12.11 I see some serious artifacts in Risen 2 that I don't see with 12.8. Other than that and the idle clock bug it seemed work well in the other games that I tried.

So far 12.8 (which is the same as 12.7) seems to be the most stable driver for me. It feels like I've been using this driver forever now though.

I haven't had any issues with 12.11, but every since I did a driver wipe a few weeks ago (while messing with hybrid PhysX) I can't get ATI Tray Tools to run, it always crashes :(

And I still can't get scaling to work properly, the old trick to change it doesn't always work. And when it does (I like to run 1080p on my 1920x1200 with black bars sometimes) for some reason the picture quality feels off in a very bad way, like the card isn't doing any post-processing smoothing whatsoever.

*edit* I took screenshots of the game - same scene at 1920x1200 and at 1920x1080 - and they both look identical in quality. But *in-game* the 1080p game looks washed out and text looks artifacted and edges are rough looking. Weird.

Last edited:
At this point I couldn't be happier with the 12.11's. Well, maybe if they were out 10 months ago? hehe... But no problems so far and Crysis 2 finally scales in Tri-Fire! Oh and BF3, it's almost like I'm playing on a different PC... It's the little things in life :)

Last edited:
I am seeing artifacts with using 12.11 that I have never seen before. My gpu temps after playing 2 hours of wow never reached above 54c. Such a shame

with the 12.11 drivers, the primary monitor in my 3-monitor setup won't turn on after coming back from sleep. i must power cycle the primary monitor in order for it to work again. anyone else having this issue?

new 12.11 beta 6 is up.
idle clocks fix and optimization for coming BO2

Am I the only one who gets bluescreens caused by atikmpag.sys ever single damn time I upgrade AMD's drivers? The last 4 or 5 times I've upgraded drivers my computer bluescreens due some ati file.

Today, uninstalled 12.9 and get the bluescreen. Now 12.10 is installed and catalyst control center won't open.

Ugh...I'm really getting tired of AMD's shitty drivers... Every single time I upgrade them it's a freaking chore of trial and error until they stop f'ing up my system.

Am I the only one who gets bluescreens caused by atikmpag.sys ever single damn time I upgrade AMD's drivers? The last 4 or 5 times I've upgraded drivers my computer bluescreens due some ati file.

Today, uninstalled 12.9 and get the bluescreen. Now 12.10 is installed and catalyst control center won't open.

Ugh...I'm really getting tired of AMD's shitty drivers... Every single time I upgrade them it's a freaking chore of trial and error until they stop f'ing up my system.

if crossfire and issues one solution is to install one card into machine, if that works, put in the other one. I also suggest to either clean out the machine or do a new OS install but normally the ati driver uninstall works fine.

This Win7 installation is only a few months old and the 12.9 drivers I was running were the only ones I had installed up to this point.

I installed the 12.11 beta drivers over the seemingly-failed 12.10 drivers and I seem to back up and running.

Whatever, my next card I'll be going back to nVidia. They aren't perfect either but I have never had issues with their drivers like I have with AMDs...

12.11 beta 6.

Working fine here with 4X 7970 Quad-Fire and Eyefinity at 7680X1600. All the games I'm playing are working fine. Smooooth like butter. :)

Good job AMD.

I can verify 12.11beta6 fixed clock-throttling on my 6950 (broken in 12.10).

EDIT: And also that Dishonored crashes every time I try to load a saved game. Great.

Last edited:
This Win7 installation is only a few months old and the 12.9 drivers I was running were the only ones I had installed up to this point.

I installed the 12.11 beta drivers over the seemingly-failed 12.10 drivers and I seem to back up and running.

Whatever, my next card I'll be going back to nVidia. They aren't perfect either but I have never had issues with their drivers like I have with AMDs...

sounds like you mad. Clean install download newest drivers from website install. Its really not that hard.

I don't understand these people who report all these driver issues. My windows install is over 2 years old. Went from 6870 crossfire, to 7870 crossfire, to a single 7950 and soon to 7950 crossfire. I didn't even uninstall the drivers. Put in new cards booted up, re-installed newest drivers from AMD for that card generation. I have only had one issue, which happened when i first installed the 12.11 betas and it was the 2d clock rate. Installed the new 12.11 beta 6 drivers issue resolved. Everything has always just worked for me with the small exception of the first 12.11 beta drivers. (wasn't even a real issue, just a minor annoyance)

Btw the 12.11 beta 6 drivers are awesome.

sounds like you mad. Clean install download newest drivers from website install. Its really not that hard.

I don't understand these people who report all these driver issues. My windows install is over 2 years old. Went from 6870 crossfire, to 7870 crossfire, to a single 7950 and soon to 7950 crossfire. I didn't even uninstall the drivers. Put in new cards booted up, re-installed newest drivers from AMD for that card generation. I have only had one issue, which happened when i first installed the 12.11 betas and it was the 2d clock rate. Installed the new 12.11 beta 6 drivers issue resolved. Everything has always just worked for me with the small exception of the first 12.11 beta drivers. (wasn't even a real issue, just a minor annoyance)

Btw the 12.11 beta 6 drivers are awesome.

I'm running the 12;11 beta 6s also (Windows 8 Pro x64 with Media Center) - despite still pushing an HD5450, these drivers are actually improved stability-wise over the 12.10s, let alone the default Windows 8 drivers. This is one of the few instances where I unhesitatingly recommend a beta driver for older hardware for reasons other than performance.

Anyone using 12.11 with 7970 trifire plus 3 monitor goodness in BF3? I'm still on the release driverd!

Beta 8 is out.

http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/AMDCatalyst1211betadriver.aspx

Improves performance up to 5% in Max Payne 3
Includes single GPU performance updates for Far Cry 3
Improves CrossFire scaling for Planetside 2 (Crossfire scaling is still limited to ~30% at 2560x1600)
Resolves the Skyrim lighting issue (missing a lighting pass) for the AMD Radeon HD 7900 Series
Resolves the hang encountered playing Dishonored on the AMD Radeon HD 6000 and AMD Radeon HD 5000 Series
AMD Catalyst 12.11 Beta 8 for Linux includes significant performance improvements for Left for Dead 2

Back