• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

AMD Catalyst 12.1 Preview Profiles and Performance @ [H]

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
2FA
Joined
May 18, 1997
Messages
58,465
AMD Catalyst 12.1 Preview Profiles and Performance - AMD recently released a preview of Catalyst 12.1. This new driver allows CrossFireX profile creation for games that are not currently supported in Catalyst or Catalyst Application Profiles software. We will explain the new features, how to use them, and test performance of the various modes supported.
 
Great.............

You'd think AMD would do that, and not leave the work to you guys.

But thanks a bunch. I was having all sorts of trouble getting this thing to work and the "help" section on the Catalyst is worthless.:eek::eek:
 
Hopefully Mark laid it out clearly. If not, please ask questions.
 
Great article!
This is a welcomed and positive step by AMD. It should alleviate most of the problem ppl have
been having with crossfire.

Just in time for their new card!
 
I think this goes a long way toward explaining why they took so long to release profiles. In most cases the default crossfire profile is already the best method for the job.

There might be a few cases where a game is released and there is no crossfire profile, and making one yourself works as a temporary solution. The thing is though, any game where it's that easy, AMD likely will already have had a default profile since the game was in beta. Otherwise there are probably underlying game issues that are going to preclude you from making your own profile as well.

In fact, I would love to hear a few examples where people have actually increased their performance in a game over the default profile by creating their own.
 
Great article, thanks.
It will not be long and tweakers will find a way to improve in-game performance and a way to share it with others on the net.
 
I think this goes a long way toward explaining why they took so long to release profiles. In most cases the default crossfire profile is already the best method for the job.

There might be a few cases where a game is released and there is no crossfire profile, and making one yourself works as a temporary solution. The thing is though, any game where it's that easy, AMD likely will already have had a default profile since the game was in beta. Otherwise there are probably underlying game issues that are going to preclude you from making your own profile as well.

In fact, I would love to hear a few examples where people have actually increased their performance in a game over the default profile by creating their own.

A few cases? Its quite common that newer games don't work in crossfire and sometimes it takes quite a while for a profile to appear.
 
A few cases? Its quite common that newer games don't work in crossfire and sometimes it takes quite a while for a profile to appear.

The only game I've had problems with for the last year has been Skyrim. Even BF3 worked flawlessly on my quad-crossfire system since the beta.

My point was that if a new game is released and it's as simple as creating a quick crossfire profile for it, AMD will likely already do that themselves and release a quick CAP. If there are underlying issues that prevent crossfire from working that prevent AMD from releasing a profile update for that game, chances are those same issues will prevent you from successfully creating a custom profile as well.
 
Believe it or not, these drivers DISABLE crossfire for me, period. It complains my bridge is not working properly. Revert back to 11.11c, no problems. AMD flubbed up somewhere.
Oh, 2X Radeon HD 5830's here.
 
Believe it or not, these drivers DISABLE crossfire for me, period. It complains my bridge is not working properly. Revert back to 11.11c, no problems. AMD flubbed up somewhere.
Oh, 2X Radeon HD 5830's here.

Did you reset factory default as recommended in option under the Catalyst Control Center
Preferences menu before using the new application profiles feature this ensures there are no compatibility issues between previous drivers and the new AMD Catalyst 12.1 Preview driver with regards to application profiles ?
 
Did you reset factory default as recommended in option under the Catalyst Control Center
Preferences menu before using the new application profiles feature this ensures there are no compatibility issues between previous drivers and the new AMD Catalyst 12.1 Preview driver with regards to application profiles ?

I did, I also uninstalled the old drivers and application profiles completely. Twice. Trust me, it's the drivers. For some reason these 5830's are the red headed step child of the AMD family, there are lots of threads on various forums about crossfire headaches and these cards.

Furthermore, the problem isn't with the profiles, it's that the driver refused the option to enable crossfire at all, instead stating that there is a problem with the Crossfire bridge connector itself. This is simply not true.
 
Last edited:
Kyle, this wasn't 100% clear to me after reading the review. Are the profiles applied automatically if I open the game exe directly/launch from steam, or do you still need to select the profile manually every time you start the game?
 
Kyle, this wasn't 100% clear to me after reading the review. Are the profiles applied automatically if I open the game exe directly/launch from steam, or do you still need to select the profile manually every time you start the game?

You can safely launch the game from Steam and the profiles will be applied, you don't have to launch the EXE directly.
 
Since 11.9 I've been fucked on Skyrim. I upped to 11.x, whatever was slightly prior to 12.1 preview. It's slowing my performance and making the game perform worse, especially when looking around the map.

Can someone please post the newest way to uninstall/update AMD drivers?
 
Since 11.9 I've been fucked on Skyrim. I upped to 11.x, whatever was slightly prior to 12.1 preview. It's slowing my performance and making the game perform worse, especially when looking around the map.

Can someone please post the newest way to uninstall/update AMD drivers?

Heres what I do.
has worked flawlessly for me......but not every driver update is good. It's not just the install, sometimes it's just shitty drivers.

1) D/L new set.
2) W7 control panel......use CCC unintaller to uninstall the drivers
3) after driver uninstall, do the same for the CAP you are using.
4) restart in safe mode
5) now I run drivercleaner.net
6)restart
7)install new driver set.:D
 
Thank you for this review!

@Kyle/Mark:
Over at Battlefield 3's Multiplayer Performance and IQ Review, while using AMD Catalyst v11.11 + CAP 2,
Grady stated in his conclusion that he was still experiencing the following phenomenon
in Battlefield 3:
an extremely noticeable lag any time there was a large amount of debris flying around, explosions from missiles, grenades or vehicles, or buildings in the environment being destroyed. This was not present on any of the NV based GPUs.
With Cat v12.1, did you still notice the same behavior in Battlefield 3?

More so (and I understand we'll have to wait for Dec 22nd), does the same apply when using a Radeon HD 7970 ?

I'm holding out for this card and as an avid Battlefield junkie would appreciate it if you could address this in your review(s).


Regards,
//subscribed
 
I used the single player campaign in my testing, and I didn't notice anything like that in my testing procedure, but that isn't to say that it couldn't happen in multiplayer with 12.1.
 
Thank you, Mark!

Hoping to see this issue addressed in HardOCP's up and coming Radeon HD 7970 review.


Regards,
 
Anyone else have an issue with Aero not working sometime after installing 12.1 Preview Drivers? I went back to 11.12 but Aero is still broken :(. I even did the driver sweeper on it. Maybe it was just a coincidence. What is happening is the "Desktop Window Manager Session Manager" is crashing after I start it.
 
Thank you for this review!

@Kyle/Mark:
Over at Battlefield 3's Multiplayer Performance and IQ Review, while using AMD Catalyst v11.11 + CAP 2,
Grady stated in his conclusion that he was still experiencing the following phenomenon
in Battlefield 3:
With Cat v12.1, did you still notice the same behavior in Battlefield 3?

More so (and I understand we'll have to wait for Dec 22nd), does the same apply when using a Radeon HD 7970 ?

I'm holding out for this card and as an avid Battlefield junkie would appreciate it if you could address this in your review(s).


Regards,
//subscribed


i know this sounds crazy but try playing the get with Vsync on it doesn't seem to introduce any input lag but its night and day in comparsion to smoothness
 
i think its a bug in the game or the drivers where vsync makes the game run really smooth with no lag
 
im still confused and have 2 questions....1. when using 12.1 preview i do not install any other cap files correct? 2. i do not need to set profiles to play each game unless i want to force a custom one? (any included profiles will launch automatically like in previous versions)? Thanks.
 
This feature is only a few years late. Oh well. I'm glad they finally did it.
 
Anyone else have an issue with Aero not working sometime after installing 12.1 Preview Drivers? I went back to 11.12 but Aero is still broken :(. I even did the driver sweeper on it. Maybe it was just a coincidence. What is happening is the "Desktop Window Manager Session Manager" is crashing after I start it.

Not that specifically, but my monitor calibration software wont recognize the monitors once 12.1 is loaded. Go back to 11.11 and all is good again.
 
Hmm, so I created a bunch of profiles and saved them to their respective executables, but on the Application Profiles page, I don't see any profiles. Anyone know what's going on?
 
try the reset factory default option and try again.

Do you mean clicking the Defaults button on the 3d Application Settings page? If so, I tried that, and it still doesn't work. :( I've also tried uninstalling/reinstalling the drivers and still nothing.
 
“Restore Factory Defaults” option under the Catalyst Control Center Preferences menu
is what i meant.
 
You should try some driver cleaners and retry.Check if your second cards detected as well (don't think u can set xfire profile with 1 card ? :confused: ) gl
 
Yeah, my 2nd card is detected. Sigh.... I'm just gonna wait until the official drivers come out and see if that resolves my issues. Not a huge deal for me to use these profiles in the meantime.

What's the best driver cleaner, out of curiosity?
 
Hallelujah! Used driver sweeper and I had tons of leftover AMD and Nvidia crap on my pc. Since there are new drivers and caps, I grabbed those. Profiles now work! Thank you so much! :D
 
Back
Top