AMD bowing out? Says its going mobile...

Lets hope not. Intel needs competition. AMD does have good Fusion APUs for mobile. I think they should focus more on the desktop, not less.

i remember this almost exact same story came up in the past....i think it was around the time of the first phenom when it didn't stack up to the Core2 as much as we all hoped it would. it was garbage then, probably is now.

its possible though. if its true, its a big step backwards in the marketplace for everyone. back to intel charging whatever they want and in no hurry to put out better cpu's for a better price. back to the pentium 1/2 and K6/ K6-2 days. ugh.

Intel can't "charge whatever they want" with ARM around. If they start gouging CPU prices, then people will just be happy to grab a cheap tablet/laptop and call it a day.

I think all of you who say that Intel will stagnate, sell us Pentium 4's for $1000, just simply don't understand how things work economically. They need to give people a reason to upgrade, especially with the tablet/laptop onslaught.

this is bullshit if it happens.

they will get their asses handed to them in that market, you can't just jump into and established market to please your moronic investors.

this happens AMD is done, and it will literally be the first company I shed a tear over dying.

every single time I read something about how much of a failure bulldozer is I cringe because eventually it will hit the public consciousness and eventually someone like my brother in law will say something like "AMD sure did fuck things up" when he knows dick all about computers.

The fucking processor isn't that bad, and it's shown some promise going forward. I read dumb shit like "I was an AMD fan before but now, fuck them" really? they made a processor that can compete with intel for the first time in a long time, it sucks in single threaded apps and it uses way too much power, other than that, it's a pretty darn impressive product, that invariably would get the wrinkles ironed out in the future.

Mark my words, intel will adopt some of the bulldozer features in the future, it will be a massive kick in the balls to processor innovation and progress if AMD goes away.

Last edited:
I think regardless of what has happened, there is huge anxiety between company and fab, so... might be indicative of the numbers we've seen. Who the hell knows?

this is bullshit if it happens.

they will get their asses handed to them in that market, you can't just jump into and established market to please your moronic investors.

this happens AMD is done, and it will literally be the first company I shed a tear over dying.

every single time I read something about how much of a failure bulldozer is I cringe because eventually it will hit the public consciousness and eventually someone like my brother in law will say something like "AMD sure did fuck things up" when he knows dick all about computers.

The fucking processor isn't that bad, and it's shown some promise going forward. I read dumb shit like "I was an AMD fan before but now, fuck them" really? they made a processor that can compete with intel for the first time in a long time, it sucks in single threaded apps and it uses way too much power, other than that, it's a pretty darn impressive product, that invariable would get the wrinkles ironed out in the future.
Agreed. For instance, look at the FX-4100. It's performance won't break any records, but for its price, it's better than Intel's offerings and can acheive a 1Ghz OC with the stock cooler. Not bad at all. Sure BD was overhyped, but it's not the turd its made out to be IMO.

"In a move than could very well be interpreted as exchanging one problem for another, Advanced Micro Devices has decided to stop focusing so much on the PC business and get its act closer together on the mobile front. "

This thread needs retitled. It does not say AMD is getting out of CPU's to go mobile, just that they are refocusing more towards mobile. Did you hear though that Ivy Bridge is getting cancelled??? I mean it had a delay, what's the difference.

Agreed. For instance, look at the FX-4100. It's performance won't break any records, but for its price, it's better than Intel's offerings and can acheive a 1Ghz OC with the stock cooler. Not bad at all. Sure BD was overhyped, but it's not the turd its made out to be IMO.

I wasn't going to, because I built a llano machine, but I am now upgrading to bulldozer. I know an fx 4100 will outperform my phenom II x2 that refuses to unlock.

Lets hope not. Intel needs competition. AMD does have good Fusion APUs for mobile. I think they should focus more on the desktop, not less.

I think the problem is that they do not have the resources to focus on all of that. They just don't have the staffing that their bigger competitors have, which probably is what lead to the disaster known as Bulldozer. If they can focus their limited resources and do one part of the market really well, it might give them a chance. Of course they better realize that that the ARM processor market is going to be a tough nut to crack considering that their competitors have a significant jump on them.

"In a move than could very well be interpreted as exchanging one problem for another, Advanced Micro Devices has decided to stop focusing so much on the PC business and get its act closer together on the mobile front. "

This thread needs retitled. It does not say AMD is getting out of CPU's to go mobile, just that they are refocusing more towards mobile. Did you hear though that Ivy Bridge is getting cancelled??? I mean it had a delay, what's the difference.

+1

"That is to say, it will focus less on processors for PCs and pay more attention to the mobile market."

So the article contradicts its own title.... Well done Softpedia! I've seen more well written articles on Arstechnica than this garbage. lol

Misleading title is misleading.

Seriously, these kinds of threads have been popping up way too much lately.

Misleading title is misleading.

Seriously, these kinds of threads have been popping up way too much lately.

I think they are bowing to traffic demands, they have been pretty damned awesome comparatively. Ya that was a suck up, but not entirely inaccurate.

Hope not, I don't want to pay an arm and a leg for a mainstream Intel CPU, but yeah, AMD really needs to get their shit together and become competitive again.

I love AMD, and if the performance was there, I would have AMD inside my machine right now. But, they don't. It's a cold hard fact I have to live with. If AMD stops making cpu's, is forced out, quits, what have you, then so be it. Let this be a lesson to themselves, other companies. Get your act together and release bad ass products, it's that simple. If you can't. Get out of the way and stop wasting money and peoples time. I just don't understand it really. They have all those engineers, the resources, an incredible opportunity that quite frankly, very very few groups of people in the history of mankind will ever have and .... this is what they release? How could they waste such a golden opportunity? Boggles the mind. Sorry, releasing something that performs slower than a previous product is just complete and utter fail. No amount of gimmickry, double talk, lies, finger pointing or marketing talk is going to fool your fans AMD. Just ..wow. Wouldn't shed one tear if they went out of business tomorrow. Swear to god. And if I had to pay double for Intel the rest of my life, then, all we have to do is look to AMD and how they took such a rare gift, chance to make something and, wasted all that time and money because, lets face it, not enough people at AMD cared. I hope this news is true. Been waiting for years to put AMD inside my box and at this point, it's just not ever going to happen.

I hope that such day comes becose it would mean average consumer won't fall victim to more cores more Ghz marketing.

The fucking processor isn't that bad, and it's shown some promise going forward. I read dumb shit like "I was an AMD fan before but now, fuck them" really? they made a processor that can compete with intel for the first time in a long time, it sucks in single threaded apps and it uses way too much power, other than that, it's a pretty darn impressive product, that invariably would get the wrinkles ironed out in the future.

Does it cost more than competitor product - yes
Does it perform worse than competitor product - yes
Does it run hotter and consumer more energy than competitor - yes

Sure doesn't look like "isn't that bad" product to me.

Mark my words, intel will adopt some of the bulldozer features in the future, it will be a massive kick in the balls to processor innovation and progress if AMD goes away.

What innovation ? There already are cpus capable of doing IIRC 7 threads per core using same strategy of shared components as AMD used. And that's before we compare to HT which is much less extreme version of what AMD did.

I think alot of people here are in denial.

AMD is losing the desktop market.
And they got nothing to stop it. Period.

They were at 23% overall cpu market share in 2006 at the end of their hay day.
Now they are at 18% marketshare, which btw includes desktop, mobile, and ultra mobile cpus.

I believe the new CEO looked at what they have now, spoke seriously to the engineers about what they have in the pipeline, and saw they have nothing that will help them regain desktop marketshare without going into the red. The consumer desktop market is also in a decline thanks to advancing mobile devices, so it makes no sense to continually invest in a losing game.

They will continue to put out new desktop parts, if to at least recapture money spent on R&D for already proposed projects, but desktop processors will no longer be what drives their research focus.

I love AMD, have always built AMD for my personal systems, will truely miss them in the desktop market, and applaud their courage to step back to see what is wrong and change what has always been at the heart of the company.

You can't really compare 2006 numbers with post 2006 numbers for AMD as 2007 was the year that Intel decided to rape everything with the C2D.

So will they still be in the laptop market? Because from there they may find themselves back in the desktop segment at some point if they learn valuable things for the laptop-tailored products...

They are not leaving any market. They are just prioritizing one market over another.

They are not leaving any market. They are just prioritizing one market over another.

All the same it does leave them the option to compete again at a future date should some things go their way in technological advancements...

My interpretation is that AMD will not compete in Enthusiastic Market. They will still be producing CPU for server and lower end of desktop. They will be competing with Intel's Celeron, Atom and Pentium classess.

Intel will have no incentive to build more fabs, and release newer CPUs. Price for middle and high end of CPU will be doubled in next couple months, if AMD exits the Enthusiastic market.

Intel will have no incentive to build more fabs, and release newer CPUs. Price for middle and high end of CPU will be doubled in next couple months, if AMD exits the Enthusiastic market.

This is soooooo full of pure, n00b, FAIL BS I wont even try to correct you.....:rolleyes:

lol, I hope they don't leave the enthusiastic market!

Either way it's starting to sound like a bunch of marketing nonsense to me to calm investors... to some degree...

Out of curiosity... If this was to happen, would Intel be hit with monopoly penalties? Does anyone know exactly how that works?

Out of curiosity... If this was to happen, would Intel be hit with monopoly penalties? Does anyone know exactly how that works?

I doubt it, they have awesome lawyers, and there is still arguably competition, just not in all segments of the market (high-end), but for the product as a whole AMD is still a competitor...

I doubt it, they have awesome lawyers, and there is still arguably competition, just not in all segments of the market (high-end), but for the product as a whole AMD is still a competitor...

RISC wasn't developed yesterday. It's been around for decades (along with ARM) so that depends on how you define monopoly. If you define monopoly by whether it requires an x86 instruction set, then, yea, they're fucked. If you define it broadly in terms of tech (there are ARM PCs and laptops and servers. GPU-driven servers as well) then no.

RISC wasn't developed yesterday. It's been around for decades (along with ARM) so that depends on how you define monopoly. If you define monopoly by whether it requires an x86 instruction set, then, yea, they're fucked. If you define it broadly in terms of tech (there are ARM PCs and laptops and servers. GPU-driven servers as well) then no.

The thing is, it doesn't sound like they are discontinuing completely, they are going to focus on low power, which could still mean they are in the budget segment, the htpc segment and anything else low power, so that doesn't leave intel competition-less, it just makes AMD no longer stack up to their fastest offerings...

They're not giving up their x86 license regardless of which direction the company veers towards. But just because there is a competitor doesn't mean you aren't a monopoly. That's all extremely hypothetical anyway we're years away from anything like that happening.

Llano is fast enough for the biggest majority of people nowadays. AMD FX really isn't very competitive against Sandy/Ivy, so really it makes more sense with their limited funds to focus on cost/power reduction than on more powerful CPU's, especially considering how much trouble they are having making their CPU's more powerful.

It seems like they are still pretty serious about the server market, which is bound to bleed over into the enthusiast market.

If Intel starts price gouging more than they already do, I'll just have to give up gaming on my PC I guess, it would just be too irritating. The 2500k I have is plenty for me right now, and probably will be acceptable for a few years.

Intel can't "charge whatever they want" with ARM around. If they start gouging CPU prices, then people will just be happy to grab a cheap tablet/laptop and call it a day.

I think all of you who say that Intel will stagnate, sell us Pentium 4's for $1000, just simply don't understand how things work economically. They need to give people a reason to upgrade, especially with the tablet/laptop onslaught.

I dont think they mean laptop mobile more like smart phones and tablet mobiles. I dont know any tablet that is a suitable laptop replacement.

I see cheap 1-2 yo laptops and desktops with bad mobos every day. In many cases they aren't even worth fixing especially in the case of laptops. Intel doesn't have to innovate to stay in business if amd is gone. They just need companies to keep making garbage like they already do. In my experience your avg home user doesn't buy a new computer because a dual core isn't fast enough for them. They do it because their old machine is broken and costs almost as much to fix as buying a new one.

I don't see it happening but AMD getting out of the PC market would be bad news for every one.

If Intel starts price gouging more than they already do, I'll just have to give up gaming on my PC I guess, it would just be too irritating. The 2500k I have is plenty for me right now, and probably will be acceptable for a few years.

So did you feel "gouged" getting what probably has been the best value/performance chip available on the market today???? Do you really think AMD had ANYTHING to do with the pricing on the 2500k??? Hmmmmmm...... (Morpheus kind of hmmmmm....)

And they will get destroyed there too then...

They will probably stick with Desktops either way.

http://hardware.slashdot.org/story/11/11/30/1510252/amd-confirms-commitment-to-x86

"Recent subpar CPU launches and product cancellations have left AMD in an ugly position, but reports that the company is preparing to jettison its x86 business are greatly exaggerated and wildly off base. Yesterday, Mercury News ran a report on AMD's struggles to reinvent itself and included this quote from company spokesperson Mike Silverman: 'We're at an inflection point. We will all need to let go of the old 'AMD versus Intel' mind-set, because it won't be about that anymore.' When we contacted Silverman, he confirmed that the original statement has been taken somewhat out of context and provided additional clarification. 'AMD is a leader in x86 microprocessor design, and we remain committed to the x86 market. Our strategy is to accelerate our growth by taking advantage of our design capabilities to deliver a breadth of products that best align with broader industry shifts toward low power, emerging markets and the cloud.' The larger truth behind Silverman's statement is that no matter what AMD does, it's not going to be 'AMD versus Intel' anymore — it's going to be AMD vs. Qualcomm, TI, Nvidia, and Intel."

People are making fakes news to try and stir the pot to get real news.

Just like that news article two weeks ago that said that HP, Acer, ASUS and Dell were exiting the tablet market.

If they do leave fine. I just dont want the government giving them a loan of our tax money to linger on. Survival of the strongest. Someone else will come along like nVidia or VIA ect.

Back