AMD baits nVidia again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its no secret that AMD is having some serious driver issues. The latest hotfix is definitely on the road to stability now and the show stopper issues are on the "Known" issue list. I would use caution if buying these in their current state.

I've heard of nothing but driver problems with Navi on Reddit with people complaining of black screens to game instability. That alone would compel me to pick the 2060.

Its no secret that AMD is having some serious driver issues. The latest hotfix is definitely on the road to stability now and the show stopper issues are on the "Known" issue list. I would use caution if buying these in their current state.

Or just... use the WHQL release that's smooth as silk on my HTPC (4k), my wifes PC (1080p) and my racing rig, (5760x1080 eyefinity + 1 4x3 monitor, and VR) and not the brand new Adrenaline 2020 drivers until more patching..

Which FYI the latest 2020 has been 90% stable (one black flicker when loading world of warships, then fine) on the rig in sig @ 1440p

Or just... use the WHQL release that's smooth as silk on my HTPC (4k), my wifes PC (1080p) and my racing rig, (5760x1080 eyefinity + 1 4x3 monitor, and VR) and not the brand new Adrenaline 2020 drivers until more patching..

Which FYI the latest 2020 has been 90% stable (one black flicker when loading world of warships, then fine) on the rig in sig @ 1440p

You not having issues does not negate those that do.

This argument is the worst, no matter the two sides.

The Windows release driver has actually the old Crimson interface and its labeled "20.1"

I've heard of nothing but driver problems with Navi on Reddit with people complaining of black screens to game instability. That alone would compel me to pick the 2060.
Seen a noisy minority yes. Most don't have issues and do sometimes post that.
Even my mostly newbie to builds mate has an all AMD build and a 5700xt with no issues since launch..

Then you need some perspective. The only issues I have with my reference 5700 are related to Vulkan support on Linux.

Then you need some perspective. The only issues I have with my reference 5700 are related to Vulkan support on Linux.

Possibly less issues with Linux than Win?

They waited for Nvidia to cut 2060 prices before showing their hand on the 5600xt.
https://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-rx-5600-xt-specs-nvidia-rtx-2060
Ok, I said baited, but it really felt that way to me to show it at a slower spec then after the competition responds with a price cut give it more power so Nvidia either keeps the price and isn't competitive or has to cut prices a second time. Well played.

Well played? nV has been selling the RTX cards without any competition for over a year lol.

Well played allrite, with Ampere on the horizon....

Well after visiting the AMD forums, truly disappointed at the latest driver 2020 for the new cards. Seems a lot of amateur users that can't comprehend ddu and rolling back drivers to before 2020 version - but no one from AMD appears to be steering them properly for a rollback/fix. Dev game implementation appears to be not in sync with the latest AMD hardware/2020 driver combo. Going to loose a lot of customers this way on the graphics end unless they can help customers and fix the issue(s) asap.

49 pages.

As long as you can pick and choose what suits you.

AMD is on the subreddit asking for user input, I guess they must be picking and choosing?
CCA08E2C-3E51-4E9E-8FEA-BF48DF3607E5.png

Well after visiting the AMD forums, truly disappointed at the latest driver 2020 for the new cards. Seems a lot of amateur users that can't comprehend ddu and rolling back drivers to before 2020 version - but no one from AMD appears to be steering them properly for a rollback/fix. Dev game implementation appears to be not in sync with the latest AMD hardware/2020 driver combo. Going to loose a lot of customers this way on the graphics end unless they can help customers and fix the issue(s) asap.

49 pages.

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::rolleyes: I honestly don't care if nVidia or AMD are on top, fuck fanboys. But to gloss over the obvious and pretend there isn't a problem is just doing a disservice to the community.

I honestly think the 'optimizing for 2 architectures at the same time' is starting to bite them in the ass. They even got my ancient R9 Fury black screening with the current drivers. That card NEVER black screened.

I would not worry, they will be fine and fix the issues. After all, it has only been a month since the 2020 drivers were released. Also, this is a thread about the 5600XT baiting Nvidia to drop their 2060 prices and then increase the performance of the 5600XT, which is fantastic. This thread is not about AMD driver issues, which someone was attempting to clearly derail this thread before it gained any real traction.

I would stick with the 5600XT myself over the 2060 but I already have a Vega 56, 64 and RX 5700.

I completely agree with this, since there is no never ending drivers issue with AMD, unlike what some still try to claim.

Well played? nV has been selling the RTX cards without any competition for over a year lol.

Well played allrite, with Ampere on the horizon....

That doesn't make it not well played. Nobody thinks AMD has more speed than Nvidia, so they take small wins when they can. This was a good way to keep Nvidia from lowering prices to leave themselves a bit of breathing room/respite. Think what you want about Ampere, I haven't heard to much yet so I'll wait to make any comparison to something that is a ways out. I like how people act as if something isn't the top of the line $2000 whatever that it's a fail for the company. No, they sell all price points. I do t care if Ampere is 2x a 2080ti if it's priced rediculous. I typically spend $200 give or take per GPU on my 6 desktops... I'm not putting > $1k GPUs in. $279, that's within reason for one or two, although probably not for all of them. If the 5600xt is faster or as fast as a 2060 I have zero reason to buy one. If Ampere comes out at a $249 price point and can keep up with the 5600xt then I can get more performance for less, win.
Yes, they were able to sell on the top end with little competition, that's why you have $1200+ GPUs now. The only reason prices haven't gotten even worse is due to a bit more competition. Hopefully there is more coming soon, even if you proudly where the green hat, it still saves you some coin. I personally buy what's in my range that gives me the best perf/$.

I would not worry, they will be fine and fix the issues. After all, it has only been a month since the 2020 drivers were released. Also, this is a thread about the 5600XT baiting Nvidia to drop their 2060 prices and then increase the performance of the 5600XT, which is fantastic. This thread is not about AMD driver issues, which someone was attempting to clearly derail this thread before it gained any real traction.

I would stick with the 5600XT myself over the 2060 but I already have a Vega 56, 64 and RX 5700.

I completely agree with this, since there is no never ending drivers issue with AMD, unlike what some still try to claim.

Anecdotal evidence. AMD directly asking people for information on an issue confirms that it is an issue. At CES Gamer's Nexus asked AMD folks about the Navi driver issues and AMD not only didn't deny or downplay them they said they were looking into it. So, can we just stop pretending that just because it works for some people that means its perfect for everyone? Sticking your head in the sand does no one any good. AMD needs to figure this shit out. They have great hardware on the market at pretty good prices, they can't afford to deal with talk of "bad drivers" looming over their heads again.

49 pages.
Ddu shouldn't be required for non-bugged drivers.

I didn't say ddu was required or even recommended by AMD - because it's not. it's just the way I would do it.

See, here is the issue. You said that people not using ddu are amateurs. Ddu shouldn't be required if your driver's aren't shit.

So, AMD has shit drivers should stand, no? I mean, if it requires an external program to deal with it... No?

I've personally never had a problem with AMD drivers under both Windows and Linux in the few instances I've used them. When it comes to Linux the hardcore FOSS evangelists love AMDGPU and Mesa.

I've personally never had a problem with AMD drivers under both Windows and Linux in the few instances I've used them. When it comes to Linux the hardcore FOSS evangelists love AMDGPU and Mesa.

Their love in Linux comes from them being open source, not because they are good. NVidia could create the most amazing driver.. it could suck the devil right out of their dicks and they still would hate it because it isn't open source.

See, here is the issue. You said that people not using ddu are amateurs. Ddu shouldn't be required if your driver's aren't shit.

So, AMD has shit drivers should stand, no? I mean, if it requires an external program to deal with it... No?

I have zero issues with AMD drivers. 2020 release is amazingly nice. Just flat out upgraded right over the top of the old drivers

Last edited:
So the boosted 5600xt is now going to be almost as fast as the 2060? Place your bets.

So the boosted 5600xt is now going to be almost as fast as the 2060? Place your bets.

I'll be very interested to see where it ends up. If it even comes within a few percent of the 2060 it's going to be one heck of a card.

Reactions: N4CR
like this
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back