AMD ATI Radeon HD 4870 X2 Preview

its crytek problem what do you expect from game that added cf support through patch when clearly it needed to be added properly from the beginning

Turn on full AA/AF and max out your resolution. That's where this beast wipes floor.

Between the reviews, the actual physical workings of both cards and the Newegg prices, I am disappointed. I thought I was going to go back to ATI, but for the pricepoint, the 280x looks like the upgrade path, unless I can crossfire a pair of 4850's on an

X38 mobo
1 Sata HDd
2 IDE opticals
q6600 closked at 3gig 1.25v
8gig rm in 4 slots 2.1v
4 80mm fans
1 92 on the CPU
and 3 USB devices on my Corsair 520.

Between the reviews, the actual physical workings of both cards and the Newegg prices, I am disappointed. I thought I was going to go back to ATI, but for the pricepoint, the 280x looks like the upgrade path, unless I can crossfire a pair of 4850's on an

X38 mobo
1 Sata HDd
2 IDE opticals
q6600 closked at 3gig 1.25v
8gig rm in 4 slots 2.1v
4 80mm fans
1 92 on the CPU
and 3 USB devices on my Corsair 520.

What the hell was the point of listing fans, drives, and voltages? And what is this "actual physical workings of both cards" you are talking about?

Anyways, either one you get, you'll probably need a new PSU and maybe a better CPU.

As for being disappointed, I don't know how you could possibly be. nVidia is only selling the GTX280 so cheap (most likely at a loss or barely making anything) because the 4870X2 is kicking its ass so hard. And it is still improving with every new driver, it seems. Remember, the GTX 280 was like $650 when it first came out.

What the hell was the point of listing fans, drives, and voltages? And what is this "actual physical workings of both cards" you are talking about?

Anyways, either one you get, you'll probably need a new PSU and maybe a better CPU.

As for being disappointed, I don't know how you could possibly be. nVidia is only selling the GTX280 so cheap (most likely at a loss or barely making anything) because the 4870X2 is kicking its ass so hard. And it is still improving with every new driver, it seems. Remember, the GTX 280 was like $650 when it first came out.

1) whats the point of asking if the PSU will handle the card if you don't list items pulling power?

2) How the cards actually process their data and the power ther draw.

2) Disappointed because it would of been nice to justify the buy for ATI, but for a bill difference it's hard to do. Also I believe the GTX280 was at it's current price before the 4870 x2 actually released. The maximum resolution for the machine I am considering upgrading is only 1920x1200.

1) whats the point of asking if the PSU will handle the card if you don't list items pulling power?

2) How the cards actually process their data and the power ther draw.

2) Disappointed because it would of been nice to justify the buy for ATI, but for a bill difference it's hard to do. Also I believe the GTX280 was at it's current price before the 4870 x2 actually released. The maximum resolution for the machine I am considering upgrading is only 1920x1200.

Only 1920x1200? That would make it tough to justify either the GX2 or the 4870X2 *unless* you were going to run with maxed AF at that resolution for most titles other than Crysis. Worse, any saving you might gain at the front end on a GX2 over the X2 you'll lose on the back-end (specifically on the electric bill). In fact, I disqualified CrossFire for my own upcoming upgrade because I won't have enough resolution to justify it (19" CRT running 1600x1200), and Crysis is not on the table (or horizon).

As it is, given 1600x1200, I would find it darn difficult to justify a single 4870 (despite the single C-note price difference over/above the HD4850) because the only games that can justify GDDR5 and the HD4870 aren't in my purchasing plans (specifically, Age of Conan and Crysis), and with those two titles off the table (and not even close to the horizon), what's the point? (Especially when I can upgrade to a Q6600/HD4850-driven system, keeping only the software, peripherals, sound card, and case, for sub-$800, including tax.)

Only 1920x1200? That would make it tough to justify either the GX2 or the 4870X2 *unless* you were going to run with maxed AF at that resolution for most titles other than Crysis. Worse, any saving you might gain at the front end on a GX2 over the X2 you'll lose on the back-end (specifically on the electric bill). In fact, I disqualified CrossFire for my own upcoming upgrade because I won't have enough resolution to justify it (19" CRT running 1600x1200), and Crysis is not on the table (or horizon).

As it is, given 1600x1200, I would find it darn difficult to justify a single 4870 (despite the single C-note price difference over/above the HD4850) because the only games that can justify GDDR5 and the HD4870 aren't in my purchasing plans (specifically, Age of Conan and Crysis), and with those two titles off the table (and not even close to the horizon), what's the point? (Especially when I can upgrade to a Q6600/HD4850-driven system, keeping only the software, peripherals, sound card, and case, for sub-$800, including tax.)

You wont be upgrading for a while it seems.

Great to see a high quality screenshots section! I have been asking for this on a couple of previews. It lets those of us with lesser equiment know what we are missing out on as far as resolution/quality.

I run native 1680x1050. I want a 4780 X2 just to max out frame rates whenever possible.

Do you guys consider that a waste or time/money?

I run native 1680x1050. I want a 4780 X2 just to max out frame rates whenever possible.

Do you guys consider that a waste or time/money?
mostly yes because you would be getting the same fps if you were at 1920. please show me what game you couldnt run maxed out on a 4870 at 1680 besides Crysis. it would be like me getting a 9600gt to run at 800x600. silly and mostly wasteful.

Did the [H] ever do a full review on the 4870X2?

The link in the OP goes to: AMD ATI Radeon HD 4870 X2 Preview.

I wanted to see it run agains some SLI setups in more than just Crysis and Age of Conan.

Back