AMD Athlon 64 FX-74 & Quad FX Platform Review

mzs_biteme said:
In one of the links form speedyman...:

Vote.gif

WTF! Are people at ZDNet blogs actually reading reviews??? Looks like ZD is overrun by some hard-core AMD-r-o-i-d-s... :eek:

Remember when AMD followers called them sheep? Turn-about is fair play LOL!

Donnie27 said:
Where'd you read AMD runs 64bit apps faster?
It doesn't, it scales slightly better in a 64-bit environment (a negligible difference - maybe 5%). ie: AMD may get a 40% performance increase from 64-bit, whereas Intel will only get a 38% increase. Despite scaling better, it still loses out in the big picture. ;)

AMD said:
"AMD is going to be the leader in performance per watt per dollar. We're going to be the undisputed leader, solving those customers' issues around total cost of operation, energy consumption, the utility bills, etc. You'll see some amazing things from AMD around thought leadership on power," said Marty Seyer, senior vice president, commercial business and performance computing, microprocessor solutions sector, AMD.
http://www.technewsworld.com/rsstory/50157.html

InorganicMatter said:
It doesn't, it scales slightly better in a 64-bit environment (a negligible difference - maybe 5%). ie: AMD may get a 40% performance increase from 64-bit, whereas Intel will only get a 38% increase. Despite scaling better, it still loses out in the big picture. ;)

My point exactly:) I saw AMD followers see a 40% gain and think Conroe sits at a 0% gain LOL! There was a thread about this that showed far less than 40% gain on anything. It was more like -2 to 12%. This while Conroe was 0 to 7%. Note, Tech-Report uses WinXP 64 for all but one or two Tests.

The processor that scaled the best with WInXP 64? The P4's with AMD X86-64 called EMT64:) Still ended up slower as well.

mICKEL said:

Originally Posted by AMD
"AMD is going to be the leader in performance per watt per dollar. We're going to be the undisputed leader, solving those customers' issues around total cost of operation, energy consumption, the utility bills, etc. You'll see some amazing things from AMD around thought leadership on power," said Marty Seyer, senior vice president, commercial business and performance computing, microprocessor solutions sector, AMD.

Ouch!
horse.gif

I see a reversal of the original market postitions. Intel = cool and effecient, doesn't cause blackouts. AMD = Thermo-nuclear heat, high clocks, ineffecient, causes brownouts :) How ironic.

Sovereign said:
I see a reversal of the original market postitions. Intel = cool and effecient, doesn't cause blackouts. AMD = Thermo-nuclear heat, high clocks, ineffecient, causes brownouts :) How ironic.

Core 2 Q6700

Seems to have recovered from its $1,499 launch prices LOL! Now $1,699

Sovereign said:
except they dont have high clocks either.

BoogerBomb said:
Its surprsing that so many intel zealots are bragging that a cpu that is 4 generations ahead of the amd tested here was just BARELY better.

Are you retarded? Even if that were true, you can buy the Intel solution NOW, it will cost you less, and perform better. Generation is completely irrelevant.

You have a lot of gall calling out Intel zealots, and then brining up such a lame, fan boy argument.

osalcido said:
yawn..
going to newegg's overpriced catalog to backup your !!!!!!sm is pathetic

http://www.iunitek.com/iunitek/index.cfm?fuseaction=shop.dspSpecs&part=1842969

by the way... i'd love for you to post a link to where we can buy a quadFX platform

Pay attecntion? Actually not reading the LOL and not seeing it for the Joke that is, is pretty silly but Hey, hehehe! The point is, without Competition, companies like this does their best to Rape us. Newegg did the same thing with X6800, priced it at $1,399. This is something Intel, AMD and the VAR's who sell their products are quite guilty of. Have we forgotten they had FX-60 for $1,299 as well hehehe.

Do you think that price would be that high for Q6700 had 4 X 4 kicked it and Intel's ass the other day?

So the verdict is AMDs quad core solution is a waste of money and its not as good as the intel Kentsfield.

I don't understand why "quad core" is so interesting in general. Since intel released the quad core there were dempseys & opteron 265's used in fairly cheap dual socket motherboards AGES before.

The core 2 architecture is a lot more interesting than the fact than you can get it in quad cores.

The only really interesting thing in 4x4 launch is the cpu prices.

I would _LOVE_ to know if you can drop the $599 pack into This

BigMacAttack said:
Save your money and got to Wal-Mart for a cheaper one! :p

Well of course I could go to Wal-Mart and find over a dozen "space heaters" for less money! But that's not the point now is it? I mean 400-500W for a system that's basically idling? I can feel my electric bill rising "by association". :p

Oh, and since sarcasm seems to be lost on many of you, I'll state for the record that I'm not interested in Quad FX, or Intel's Quad Core either. Thanks! Have a great life. :D

nullzero said:
So the verdict is AMDs quad core solution is a waste of money and its not as good as the intel Kentsfield.

It's clearly not worth it and IMHO a waste of money. Even AMD fans should look at any Opteron 2xx if they have an Intel Phobia.

Cannydog said:
Well of course I could go to Wal-Mart and find over a dozen "space heaters" for less money! But that's not the point now is it? I mean 400-500W for a system that's basically idling? I can feel my electric bill rising "by association". :p

Oh, and since sarcasm seems to be lost on many of you, I'll state for the record that I'm not interested in Quad FX, or Intel's Quad Core either. Thanks! Have a great life. :D

Hey man, I wasn't trying to dig you or anything, just making a "Mr. Obvious" light-hearted post. Sorry if I rankled you - it wasn't intednded to.

Donnie27 said:
It's clearly not worth it and IMHO a waste of money. Even AMD fans should look at any Opteron 2xx if they have an Intel Phobia.

Agreed. 4x4 in its present form is a big let down - to me anyway. Not that I could have afforded it anyway, but I was hoping for a lot better showing from it.

Considering the 2x95W vs 1x140W? I do not know where your pulling those figures from.

Intel Core 2 Extreme QX6700 130W
http://processorfinder.intel.com/details.aspx?sSpec=SL9UL

AMD Athlon FX-74 2x125W
http://www.amdcompare.com/us-en/desktop/details.aspx?opn=ADAFX74GAA6DI
http://www.hothardware.com/viewarticle.aspx?articleid=911&cid=1

So the comparison is 2x125W vs 1x130W and you get a difference of 120W.

As well real world power consumption shows a different story:

http://techreport.com/reviews/2006q4/quad-fx/index.x?pg=13

The above shows that the Core 2 Extreme QX6700 barely tops 300W while the Dual Athlon FX-74 system cosnumes as much as 450W.

http://www.hothardware.com/articleimages/Item911/power.png

The above shows the Dual Athlon FX-74 system loading at over 500W vs the mere ~250W of Core 2 Extreme QX6700.

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2879&p=13

The aboves shows the Dual Athlon FX-74 system loading at 456W vs the mere 263W of the Core 2 Extreme QX6700. A difference of nearly 200W, not small change at all.

Suffice it to say averaging these 3 figures out you get something about ~200W in difference in total power consumption between the 2 platforms. Which is understandable considering the additional chipset power consumption as well as the difference in TDP.

Hardly only a 50W difference at all.

BoogerBomb said:
AMD made the claims of 95 and 140.
Well considering their own website states 125W as well as allowing AMD to state Intel TDP, is biased I would say the real world test are quite illuminating on how much the actual difference will be.

nullzero said:

I dont know what you mean by AMD's quad core solution as I havent seen any benches on it yet, however AMD's 2p enthusiast system looks promising. I am looking forward to when AMD releases their quad core chips so we can see it really shine.

moon02 said:
I dont know what you mean by AMD's quad core solution as I havent seen any benches on it yet, however AMD's 2p enthusiast system looks promising. I am looking forward to when AMD releases their quad core chips so we can see it really shine.

Even that makes little sense at all. Why not just wait for K8L to launch? Honestly, Intel doesn't have to be brought up at all. Looked at straight from AMD's point of view, Lower Cost, lower power using and etc... Opterons 2xx.

jvrobert said:
Yeah, this thread is hilarious. People defending what is obviously a rushed and poorly thought out response to C2D and QXD.

Even if everything is bright and rosy and all works well and K8L _does_ come out in 6 months and also works with existing 4x4 MB's, why would you buy one now? Seems like a silly risk only a superAMDroid would take.

You could buy an E6600 and get comparable performance in most tasks and _better_ performance in others RIGHT NOW. Then, in RosyWorld if all works out well you could rebuild a new"4x4" machine next year and probably save money versus buying one of these overpriced junkheaps now.

What's most amusing is the shameless difference in tone between this review and the C2D review. C2D has utterly changed the performance PC landscape in the last 4 months, and according to the illustrious reviewer it was basically ho-hum and offered little "real-world" advantage.

Now, we have this monstrous piece of 4x4 crap (and it is, no matter what its potential future could possibly be in X months if so and so happens and everything works out perfectly) and it basically gets an "it's OK" review.

Now, if you read both of these reviews you'd probably think that both pieced of technology are similar in importance. Take this in conjunction with established fact, and I think it's fairly easy to draw some conclusions that a lot of people on these boards have been bringing up for some time about who pays the bills and how things work around here.

It seems like amd and bfg pay the bills, and its so evident its pretty disturbing for a hardware site this big.

mzs_biteme said:
In one of the links form speedyman...:

Vote.gif

WTF! Are people at ZDNet blogs actually reading reviews??? Looks like ZD is overrun by some hard-core AMD-r-o-i-d-s... :eek:

them ZDNet voting machines am hacked!

The fact of the matter is if you do a lot of real 24/7 heavy duty work, take folding at home which runs 24/4 at 100% I could buy one of these machines and even with a one kilowatt PSU it would be far cheaper to operate then the 7 to 12 boxes I run now all with 550 watt PSU's. Not to mention with Stanford’s new SMP folding client my output would rise substantially.

Reality is in my case and many in the DC form’s case this would be an economy box in the long run, especially as power costs rise. Keep in mind a one K PSU would plug right into the wall on a normal 15 AMP breaker with no problem.

Benchmarks and the latest games don’t rule the entire thought processes behind what a manufacture builds. :)

jstnomega said:
them ZDNet voting machines am hacked!

The scary thing is, the same blog has this posted as well....

confused.gif

WFT!!!!!!! Them ZD-reading AMD-r-o-i-d-s are a little .....
retard.gif

All other concerns aside, I find it extremely ironic that people with systems that are overclocked to hell and back with 8800 GTXs are in this thread bitching about the power consumption of the QuadFX.

The dump truck of reality backed up over your argument while you were out pointing at the Quad FX.

Caffeinated said:
All other concerns aside, I find it extremely ironic that people with systems that are overclocked to hell and back with 8800 GTXs are in this thread bitching about the power consumption of the QuadFX.

The dump truck of reality backed up over your argument while you were out pointing at the Quad FX.
That is different The 8800 GTX's provide a new level of performance per watt in comparison to the fastest available products from the competitor ATI, with their fairly power hungry X1950 XTX. Not to mention they offer visual quality enhancements as well to offset their fairly high power consumption.

The Dual Athlon FX-74's draw much more energy then the available alternative from Intel the Core 2 Extreme QX6700 while providing at best the same level or worse in performance.

Power consumption if greater can only be justfied if there are some performance gains to be had, if not, then it just makes the product look bad as your not getting anything out of the additional power consumption.

I wasn't disparaging the 8800 GTX. I was simply pointing out that it does in fact draw a lot of power, as do systems that are overclocked to hell and back.

It makes about as much sense as militant vegetarians that wear leather boots and sit on their leather seats on the way to a PETA rally.

You know that kettle is black, right?

Taldren said:
When you can name every PC you ever had and who coined what term ... never mind ... anyway ... didn't mean to start a geek war here.
Not sure what you're getting at here ... whether you are amazed that I have a decent memory or personally insulting me by calling me a geek ...

Just pointing out the absurdity of talking about power consumption when on the subject of enthusiast hardware. That is like talking about fuel efficiency of dragsters.
Nice way to go to the extreme there buddy. How about we use a different analogy. You don't drive a dragster every day, just one day a week or month if even that. Computers, even if an enthusiast one, can be used every day. Car Enthusiasts just don't buy dragsters. They also buy corvettes, camaros, Ferraris, Aston Martins, etc. You Do talk about fuel efficiencies of those cars.

I don't hold any loyalty to any one company ... because ... they certainly don't hold any loyalty to me. However, I have to agree with Kyle that I have to see a noticeable difference in performance ... noticeable by any of the 5 senses god gave me (although I don't think I will taste a CPU any time soon) ... before I will fork over any amount of money to upgrade needlessly.
So are we talking about enthusiasts here or what? Not every one is the same and you don't have to upgrade needlessly. That doesn't take away from the fact that this platform sucks from the ground up. Period. I won't even go into another "needless" car analogy but you can imagine one quite easily.

As for the argument "Who is better" ... I accept that Intel is currently 'better' for 32-bit apps while AMD is currently the clear winner for 64-bit apps. However the difference in 32-bit performance isn't going to make me throw my current 64X2 machine away for something I can't see, hear, or feel.

Others have called you to task on this one, where exactly did you read AMD is the clear winner for 64-bit apps? Or are you the type to read it from another poster and post it as fact without checking? Some suggested reading:
http://techreport.com/reviews/2006q4/quad-fx/index.x?pg=1

Caffeinated said:
I wasn't disparaging the 8800 GTX. I was simply pointing out that it does in fact draw a lot of power, as do systems that are overclocked to hell and back.

It makes about as much sense as militant vegetarians that wear leather boots and sit on their leather seats on the way to a PETA rally.

You know that kettle is black, right?
I don't think you get what I am trying to convey.

The difference here is that while the 8800 GTX does draw alot of power, it's the best performance and image quality in town. There is NO alternative.

With the 4x4 Athlon FX-74 system drawing alot of power to give the same level of performance as a product that DOESN'T draw alot of power to ahcieve the same or better performance is another story.

It's not ironic becuase in the case of the 8800 GTX there is sufficient grounds for the additional power consumption as there isn't an alternative which can match it, in the case of the 4x4 Athlon FX-74 the power consumption is harder to justify because of the available Core 2 Extreme QX6700, so there is an alternative in that case.

I wasn't telling you off for dissing the 8800 GTX.

The analogy you posted regarding vegetarians and leather shoes is flawed and doesn't pertain to this. The situation is completely different.

coldpower27 said:

The difference here is that while the 8800 GTX does draw alot of power, it's the best performance and image quality in town. There is NO alternative.

With the 4x4 Athlon FX-74 system drawing alot of power to give the same level of performance as a product that DOESN'T draw alot of power to ahcieve the same or better performance is another story.

It's not ironic becuase in the case of the 8800 GTX there is sufficient grounds for the additional power consumption as there isn't an alternative which can match it, in the case of the 4x4 Athlon FX-74 the power consumption is harder to justify because of the available Core 2 Extreme QX6700, so there is an alternative in that case.

The analogy you posted regarding vegetarians and leather shoes is flawed and doesn't pertain to this. The situation is completely different.

But honestly, what do your expect from folks reading stuff from like this?

I reiterate my projection that Intel will post operating loss starting 3Q06, and BK in five to seven quarters.

http://sharikou.blogspot.com

Though many agree he's a blind Idiot, there are tons of folks wishing he was right:)

coldpower27 said:

Don't worry coldpower27, they don't understand the meaning of cost/benefit. In other words, 8800GTX cost (power consumption wise) is great, and so is the benefit. QuadFX cost (power and price) is great, with no benefit and in fact actually some detriment since it can be argued successfully, Kentsfield is a better overall performer even in 64-bit. However I notice the QuadFX excels in Folding, according to the techreport review.

Donnie27 said:
But honestly, what do your expect from folks reading stuff from like this?

Though many agree he's a blind Idiot, there are tons of folks wishing he was right:)

Another gem from the Doc:

As I said long time ago, the right way to measure multitasking performance is to launch multiple instances of the same program and measure the completion time. In this case, one should launch four copies of the same program at the same time.

LOL :D

harpoon said:
Another gem from the Doc:

LOL :D

Yup that cracked me up as well. Knowing him, he'd find something QFX is better and just try to run 5 instances of it LOL!

He's more stupidity.

Sharikou said:
With new architecture (Conroe), Intel will be four generations behind AMD

Sharikou said:
With new architecture (Conroe), Intel will be four generations behind AMD

FX: 2 x 125W = 250W
Conroe: 65W x 4 = 260W

So Conroe is indeed 4 generations 'behind' (using Sharikou logic) AMD... :p

Back