AMD Announces New 2nd Gen Ryzen Threadripper Processors

cageymaru

Fully [H]
AMD has announced that the October 29th release of two new models to the 2nd Gen Ryzen Threadripper family; the 2970WX and 2920X processors. The Ryzen Threadripper 2970WX has 24 cores and 48 threads with a TDP of 250W. The Ryzen Threadripper 2920X features 12 cores and 24 threads with a TDP of 180W. The SEP of the Ryzen Threadripper 2970WX is $1,299 and the SEP of the Ryzen Threadripper 2920X is $649. The announcement can be found by clicking through the image.

Finally, the biggest update coming in October will be AMD's introduction of the new AMD Dynamic Local Mode software for the Ryzen Threadripper WX series processors, optimizing application performance by ensuring the most demanding threads always get preferential time on cores with local memory.

I don't have a use for more than 4 cores. I really don't. And I don't have a reason to need SLI or CrossFire, I've only built one rig that had more than one video card, and that was over a decade ago. I don't even need more than 16Gig of RAM.

But I want a 2920X. It's almost affordable.

I'm awfully tempted by the 2920X, but I'll hold out for Zen2 next year. I think that's when I switch back to AMD after a long hiatus. My last AMD was a 1.4GHz TBird. Alpha PAL 8045, oh the days.

Pretty much doing the same thing.

Skipped Ryzen 1 all together.

I just got all the drives now for the new build.

OS will be Intel 750 1.2TB

then Samsung 860 EVO 1TBx2 for Games/Storage.

Going to pick up the case soon then wait for the release of zen 2 to grab everything else.

Jesus AMD, the 2920x is $150 cheaper than the 1920x at release.

Good on you.

Reactions: N4CR
like this
Sitting on my 4930k until RAM prices come down more, I think my next system will be AMD. Hopefully they get the clock ceiling higher.

Sitting on my 4930k until RAM prices come down more, I think my next system will be AMD. Hopefully they get the clock ceiling higher.

I'm on a 4770K with 16GBs of DDR3. I will not budge until this ram bullshit pricing is under control.

I'm on a 4770K with 16GBs of DDR3. I will not budge until this ram bullshit pricing is under control.
Hmm...maybe I should sell some ram. I've got 32gb and I don't really need it...it was just so cheap that I figured I'd get that instead of 16.

Cores for the Core Throne! Threads for the Thread God!
Alex: The topic is Moar Cores for a thousand.
Me: Alex, what is AMD 2970WX
Alex: Yes, that is the correct answer, and you are the new champion.

/daydream

note to self: Must start GoFundMe page. :(

Reactions: N4CR
like this
I really don't need a Threadripper - but damn, I want one. I still have a 2600k as my primary system. It still works great for how I use my system. I know its about time to move my 2600k to my rack in the basement so it can keep on churning.
Thinking a 2920x with 32gb ram would be a nice upgrade. I'd like my last system to carry me through the years like my 2600k has.

I was this close to pulling the trigger on a Threadripper build (2950x+Asrock Taichi x399) when eBay had their latest coupon but like most of you, I don't actually need it quite yet and I know I'd regret it when the TRs with Zen2 cores come out. The other thing being that the current x399 chipset might be replaced by a x499 by then and no point in getting yesterday tech - so maybe when a 3950x + x499 Asrock Taichi drop ...

The 2920x and 2950x both offer great performance for their price range.

Between the 2970wx and 2990wx, the former seems to be a much better buy. Even on heavily threaded workloads, the 2970wx is almost always 85-95% performance of the 2990wx despite 75% of the cores. Also, hitting 4.2 hz on the 2970wx seems far more manageable than the 2990wx, which will require a very expensive mb and some very robust cooling.

It seems alot of people of been getting the 1920x, which is the best value of any hedt part, with a great upgrade path in the future.

Back