AMD 7th Gen Bristol Ridge & Stoney Ridge Announcement @ [H]

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
AMD 7th Gen Bristol Ridge & Stoney Ridge Announcement - You probably have not noticed, but we do not spend a lot of time focussing on AMD's APU technology here at HardOCP. AMD does some incredible things graphically inside its small cool running APU packages for the most part. Today, we get two new APUs and all the slides to share with you. And a Live Stream with more Polaris information!

Their "Winning Processor Roadmap" looks more like this:

winning.jpg

Excavator? So I guess Zen isn't ready until next year then? I guess the feature that matters the most is the HDMI 2.1 support because at least that will help out anyone who plugs their notebook into a 4K TV. It will also be interesting to see the performance with the iGPU using DDR4.

I'm curious, who's the target audience for these CPU's? I feel like the only people buying AMD hardware are the ones who either don't know any better, need the cheapest laptop possible or are Intel conspiracy theorists.

Honest question here, is there a place for AMD in the CPU market anymore?

Was expecting desktop am4 announcement with 7th gen apu's shipping based on excavator cores. No mention of it, but with them saying they already sent samples of Zen out maybe they are just going to launch the AM4 platform all in one go. With Excavator core desktop apu's for the low end, and Zen core desktop FX cpus for the high end. I mean back in the day they announced q3/q4 2016 as their target timeline, and they keep saying we're on track.... End of June is the end of the 2nd qtr.

AMD's 7th generation laptop chips are stronger Intel competitors

Finally some light at the end of the tunnel. Hope its not a train!!

I am not an Intel hater or an AMD fanboy. But I want competition to begin in the mainstream CPU market so that Intel's monopoly is over.

"The new A9 chip, which is being positioned as an Intel Core i3 competitor, gets max speeds 1.5GHz faster than the i3-6100U."

Sounds interesting. What about the power consumption, heat and efficiency?

I'm curious, who's the target audience for these CPU's? I feel like the only people buying AMD hardware are the ones who either don't know any better, need the cheapest laptop possible or are Intel conspiracy theorists.

Honest question here, is there a place for AMD in the CPU market anymore?

I hope so for our sake. With the official launch of Broadwell-E, Intel just showed us who's boss and who's bitch the enthusiast community is. I mean, at this point Xeon prices are actually attractive. And I thought that my 5930K was expensive at $475 (okay, I know MSRP is slightly more). The replacement for 5930K would be the 6850K at $617. How the f*ck does it make sense to buy an almost identical CPU for about $100 more, two years later?!

Here:

we-are-intels-bitch.png

I absolutely love how they always without fault compare to the competition their marketing slides.
It's tactics you'd expect from a used car dealership, not from a giant tech company.
And once again the usual claims of double the improvement compared to Intel - that's what happens when your baseline for comparison is so much slower than your competitors.

I absolutely love how they always without fault compare to the competition their marketing slides.
It's tactics you'd expect from a used car dealership, not from a giant tech company.

Yeah I hate it when AMD compares their products to Intel's. I'm much more interested on seeing how they stack up against Corsair's products. /sarcasm

I get that it's trendy to hate AMD but who are they supposed to compare their products to if not, ya know, the only other CPU maker?

Yeah I hate it when AMD compares their products to Intel's. I'm much more interested on seeing how they stack up against Corsair's products. /sarcasm

I get that it's trendy to hate AMD but who are they supposed to compare their products to if not, ya know, the only other CPU maker?

Themselves? Like all their competition does?

Welp looks like devils canyon prices wont be dropping any time soon. Who would have thought that prices would hold for 2-3 years on a cpu...
But hey now the new chips run just as fast but suck 50 watts less...

Welp looks like devils canyon prices wont be dropping any time soon. Who would have thought that prices would hold for 2-3 years on a cpu...
But hey now the new chips run just as fast but suck 50 watts less...

Not sure where you get that. If the new chips run just as fast but use less power, they likely will cost less too.

Not sure where you get that. If the new chips run just as fast but use less power, they likely will cost less too.
If you bought a cpu 2-3 years ago, and it cost the same amount as it does today,even with 2 new generations out, how would you feel? In fact devils canyon cost more now than when skylake came out. In what rational world do cpus get more expensive the longer you wait?

If you bought a cpu 2-3 years ago, and it cost the same amount as it does today,even with 2 new generations out, how would you feel? In fact devils canyon cost more now than when skylake came out. In what rational world do cpus get more expensive the longer you wait?

In a world without competition.

So Zen would be a good thing to force cheaper prices.

Excavator? So I guess Zen isn't ready until next year then? I guess the feature that matters the most is the HDMI 2.1 support because at least that will help out anyone who plugs their notebook into a 4K TV. It will also be interesting to see the performance with the iGPU using DDR4.
I can't follow this logic at all. Did you watch the live stream? They showed Excavator based APUs for mobile, and then they showed a physical Zen, plus Zen was running on some systems, and Zen rendered a short video they showed. They said Zen samples were to be sent out in a few weeks. Even if that's a bit optimistic, it's still no evidence at all that Zen will be next year. Oh, and they stated that Zen will hit desktops first, then servers later. Nothing they said would lead anyone to think Zen will be next year.

I hope so for our sake. With the official launch of Broadwell-E, Intel just showed us who's boss and who's bitch the enthusiast community is. I mean, at this point Xeon prices are actually attractive. And I thought that my 5930K was expensive at $475 (okay, I know MSRP is slightly more). The replacement for 5930K would be the 6850K at $617. How the f*ck does it make sense to buy an almost identical CPU for about $100 more, two years later?!

Here:

View attachment 3545

I wasn't asking in a financial sense, we all know AMD is nearly invisible in the sense of providing good competition for Intel. This price gouging proves it.

I'm curios from a consumer's perspective. In what scenario would it benefit the end user to to go with AMD over Intel?

I wasn't asking in a financial sense, we all know AMD is nearly invisible in the sense of providing good competition for Intel. This price gouging proves it.

I'm curios from a consumer's perspective. In what scenario would it benefit the end user to to go with AMD over Intel?

Ultra cheap "gaming" apu based box is the only thing i can think of. Still that would not help if you had a stand alone graphics card. Personally i would like it if amd just made ecc support across the board. With intel its slow ass pentium/i3 or $$$ xeon.

On the other hand the cheapest i3 is $125, for that you can get almost a top end A10 chip.

A couple of months ago I did 3 HTPC builds (for each of my TVs). There were some nice combo-discounts (~$50-$60 off on the A-10 APU+mATX motherboard+memory) that, when you considered the totality of the package, outperformed the Intel counterpart in terms of bang-for-the-buck.

So I think you'll find limited scenarios like that where it makes sense, but from a broad perspective your point certainly stands.

I understand why the [H] doesn't get into CPU reviews, especially refreshes of existing architecture, what I don't understand is the hate for the APUs. We aren't the target demographic for these chips, unless we are building for someone else.

An old friend of mine (He turned 72 this year), finally gave in and got on the Steam bandwagon to snag Civ 5 (He plays Civ 4 religiously, three to four hours a night before bed), and sadly his decade old p4 simply wouldn't run it. I put together an A10 system for him (including win 10, which was the most expensive component), for $200 after rebates (which I filed and received, so yes, they count). It plays Civ 5 fairly well, although 12 person maps take a while in late game to chug through the AI turns, but still faster than Civ 4 was on his old p4, so expectations were actually exceeded.

I could have done it with Intel, but it would have cost more money - which I would have spent, because I love the old man. However, I am grateful that AMD is still pushing out the APUs as Intel isn't as kind to the pocket book.

I can't follow this logic at all. Did you watch the live stream? They showed Excavator based APUs for mobile, and then they showed a physical Zen, plus Zen was running on some systems, and Zen rendered a short video they showed. They said Zen samples were to be sent out in a few weeks. Even if that's a bit optimistic, it's still no evidence at all that Zen will be next year. Oh, and they stated that Zen will hit desktops first, then servers later. Nothing they said would lead anyone to think Zen will be next year.

They just launched a whole line of new notebook processors, using Excavator. Which means there is little hope of Zen-based replacements any time soon. The end of the year is only 7 months away. If they had any possibility of launching a Zen product in the next few months they would have spent ages talking about it. This is what leads me to believe that it will be at least next year until we need Zen-based notebook APUs.

It's pretty easy to follow.

Now the biggest issue with these chips is that they're barely any better than the last-gen chips.

If AMD lets OEM's cripple their APU's like they did with the FX-8800P then these have no chance of taking off. Those neutered APU's at 15 watts were also limited to PC1600 memory....what a fucking travesty.

If this comes out before Intel has a HDMI 2.0 version I'll gladly purchase this.

They just launched a whole line of new notebook processors, using Excavator. Which means there is little hope of Zen-based replacements any time soon. The end of the year is only 7 months away. If they had any possibility of launching a Zen product in the next few months they would have spent ages talking about it. This is what leads me to believe that it will be at least next year until we need Zen-based notebook APUs.

It's pretty easy to follow.

Now the biggest issue with these chips is that they're barely any better than the last-gen chips.

their notebook cpu's are actually a lot better than their previous offerings esp the lower power variants (15w-35w) they stated 56% faster than previous gen kaveri in cinebench r15, and even a modest 10% over the previous carrizo core. Keep in mind these 7th gen apu's on the desktop will plug into am4 motherboards. Amd didn't release their desktop versions of the 7th gen apu's, likely because they are on track with Zen. They will just release the whole AM4 platform at once. You will see Zen on the desktop BEFORE 2017.

Zen high end desktop to Zen Server, to Zen mainstream and mobile. In that order.

Compared to Polaris, I'm actually quite excited about Zen. 8/16 cores at a reasonable price should humble Intel a little

Compared to Polaris, I'm actually quite excited about Zen. 8/16 cores at a reasonable price should humble Intel a little
There is no Humbling Intel short of AMD just embarrassing them in performance which won't happen realistically given post core2 history. Intel will continue to make hand over fist in money.

I built two Hypervisor nodes based around FX-8320s. They're in a cluster, and omfg they run like champs. I get tonnes of utility out of them, and I'm still spinning up more and more VMs on them.

I hope they add FX procs to the lineup without on-die GPU for people such as myself. Because I've been very happy with not only the performance, but the price point. I've also recommended them to many other people. Also, if I ever wanted to I can slam ECC RAM into them, as the mobo and CPU are rated for ECC.

I know I'm not a typical example, but I have also built gaming rigs for other people with FX-8320 procs in them, and my clients are very happy with the results.

AMD still has a place in my business, and I'm hoping their future lineup will too. I'm also excited about the APU and FX procs sharing the same socket (fuck it's about time).

I built two Hypervisor nodes based around FX-8320s. They're in a cluster, and omfg they run like champs. I get tonnes of utility out of them, and I'm still spinning up more and more VMs on them.

I hope they add FX procs to the lineup without on-die GPU for people such as myself. Because I've been very happy with not only the performance, but the price point. I've also recommended them to many other people. Also, if I ever wanted to I can slam ECC RAM into them, as the mobo and CPU are rated for ECC.

I know I'm not a typical example, but I have also built gaming rigs for other people with FX-8320 procs in them, and my clients are very happy with the results.

AMD still has a place in my business, and I'm hoping their future lineup will too. I'm also excited about the APU and FX procs sharing the same socket (fuck it's about time).

It would be awesome if I could use more than 32GB RAM with those FX processors for virtualization. Idealy 64GB RAM with an AMD FX 8xxx CPU would be awesome.

There is no Humbling Intel short of AMD just embarrassing them in performance which won't happen realistically given post core2 history. Intel will continue to make hand over fist in money.
Humbling? Seriously unlikely. But if Zen can come within 10% of Intel's offerings then interesting things will happen.

AMD doesn't need to 'embarrass' Intel, it just needs to show up to the party.

Humbling? Seriously unlikely. But if Zen can come within 10% of Intel's offerings then interesting things will happen.

AMD doesn't need to 'embarrass' Intel, it just needs to show up to the party.

By Humbling I mean "AMD offering 90% of the $1700 processor and sell it to you for $850.00" That is humbling in my opinion.

more fake cores from AMD.

its quite saying that I'm "Upgrading" my wife's AMD fake core CPU to an older AMD CPU because i need fully functional FPU's.

Back