• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

AMD 5000 Black Edition overclock not recognized

zyonuf79

Gawd
Joined
May 30, 2006
Messages
870
This is my first overclock experience so hopefully I am just missing something simple.

I have an AMD 5000+ B.E. paired with a Biostar TF720 mobo. I was planning on doing a bit of overclocking by increasing the CPU multiplier. I increased the multiplier to 14x to give me a CPU clock speed of 2.8 GHz.

The BIOS shows the correct CPU speed but CPUZ, Everest, and the Biostar monitoring app all show the stock speed of 2.6 GHz. All apps are running on Vista x64.

Just for kicks, I left the CPU multiplier at 13x and overclocked the FSB a bit. This overclock successfully shows up on all monitoring apps.

So, why does the overclock by using only the CPU multiplier not show up in the OS?
 
Just want to give this some visibility.

Also, before it is mentioned....the BIOS is fully updated.
 
Do you mean it shows in the bios settings or on the post? If it doesn't show it on post then it cant post with those settings and reverted. Ive been through this before with 2 biostar boards and it took awhile to figure it out that if it doesn't like it it will just post with what works. Its awkward but that is what I have found. It it takes the settings then when it posts it will specifically say the fsb and multiplier.
 
When I access the BIOS setup, I look at the CPU configuration and it shows the correct increased multiplier and the correct increased CPU clock speed.

In other words, POST passes just fine and I can get to the OS.
 
yeah it doesnt matter on the tf7025 and the tf560 i had u could put 25x in there and it would still post, but revert to the stock multiplier
edit: try upping the voltage and see if it takes it thats how i got mine to work
 
Ok....I tried increasing the voltage and that shows up but the CPU remains at stock on all monitoring software.
 
perhaps something else is failing on timings causing it to revert. Have you adjusted ram timings or voltages yet?
 
I upped my CPU voltage to 1.34

Edit: I increased the CPU voltage to 1.35 and increased the multiplier to 14x. All monitoring shows the stock settings of 13x and 2.6 GHz. BIOS is showing the correct values.

I wonder why it recognized an FSB overclock, a CPU voltage increase, but not a multiplier increase?

Do you all think Biostar tech support is skilled enought to help me out?
 
Sorry I can't be of more help, thats just what I've found that it cant use what you are giving it so it is reverting.
 
I don't know....I have never used AMD Overdrive. I would think Everest, CPUZ and Biostar's monitoring software would be enough.
 
I cant even raise the multi on my biostar without turning off cool and quiet.
 
Where do I turn off Cool N Quiet....I have looked everywhere in the BIOS and can't find it.

Edit: I did a bit more digging and it looks like there is something called PowerNow in the BIOS for the TF720. Turning this off will allow Vista to recognize the increased multiplier. I am at work now, but I am going to try this when I get home.
 
I tested it and that was the solution. Some Biostar motherboards like the TF720 have PowerNow in place of Cool N Quiet. If you disable PowerNow, then you can change the multiplier and have it recognized in Windows.
 
Back
Top