• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

AMD 4x4 and Gaming

Jeepers

n00b
Joined
Mar 30, 2005
Messages
40
Well aint that some interesting news. Only a matter of time. dah.

But, I'm confused and concerned. And a little uneducated so help me out here.

I've been saving up for a new build and am just about ready to do it. I'm going to wait now until the end of July or August at this point so I can grab a better price on an AMD, since I hear the prices will be dropping (although I must admit that taking a look at conroe and availability will be hard not to do). Anyway, at one point I was thinking single core, but here lately I've planning to do a X2, probably a 3800 or so pending the price cuts. And will most likely do the new socket version with DDR2. I am thinking this because I only build every couple years and want to future proof myself a little.
So my concern is this. Is this quad core 4x4 stuff suppose to work in the AM2 sockets or will it require a new mobo? Is this new software that will be written work well on a X2 dual core or only on the 4x4's. Do I wait and build with a 4x4?

This box with a P4 2.8C has done well for me over the last 2 years. Not the fastest, but the slowest and my gaming has been just fine. I don't want to drop a couple hundred on a AM2 X2 processor, only to have it become 'slow' after a year or so when these 4x4 comes out.
Is a brother making any sense with these concerns. Help him out.
 
Jeepers said:
I've been saving up for a new build and am just about ready to do it. I'm going to wait now until the end of July or August at this point so I can grab a better price on an AMD, since I hear the prices will be dropping (although I must admit that taking a look at conroe and availability will be hard not to do).
I think you should buy the best CPU that exists for your budget at the time when you invest. Be that AMD or Intel.
Anyway, at one point I was thinking single core, but here lately I've planning to do a X2, probably a 3800 or so pending the price cuts.
Reasonable choice.
And will most likely do the new socket version with DDR2. I am thinking this because I only build every couple years and want to future proof myself a little.
also smart. It seems that Socket 939 will not see many newer processors anytime soon.
So my concern is this. Is this quad core 4x4 stuff suppose to work in the AM2 sockets or will it require a new mobo?

Quad-core and 4x4 is different from what I understand. 4x4 requires a special motherboard (2 sockets). Quad Core could theoretically work in an AM2 board, but nobody knows for sure at the moment. At best people can speculate, but with QC chips not being talked about much, it is hard to tell whether they will be compatible with AM2 or not. What would you do, if Quad core was not compatible with AM2? What if it were? Does QC compatibility on the Intel side change your choice?

Is this new software that will be written work well on a X2 dual core or only on the 4x4's. Do I wait and build with a 4x4?
If you are considering to go for a single core versus dual core, it seems that you are a more budget oriented person. 4x4 is going to be for the people that can afford 2 FX processors, i.e. $2K just for the CPUs.
 
Every processor eventually becomes 'slow'.

4x4 is already available today -- socket 940 baby. Grab two opteron 165 socket 940's and a server board that has dual socket 940's. Bang, quad core.

Or shit, if you're really feeling spunky I believe there is a 4 socket server board out there somewhere... 4 opteron 165's -> 8 cores :eek:

But as the last post had mentioned, 4x4 will be a thing for the people who wipe their behinds with 100's.

A 3800+ is a great chip.. but if you're looking for alittle more umph check out the opteron dual cores. Fabolous overclockers and all have 1mb of L2 cache.
 
khanable said:
Grab two opteron 165 socket 940's and a server board that has dual socket 940's. Bang, quad core.


should be 2 265 opterons as the 165 are not dual cpu capable and im not entirely sure you can find any in skt 940 currently.

khanable said:
But as the last post had mentioned, 4x4 will be a thing for the people who wipe their behinds with 100's.

quad 940 board and opteron 8xx cpus are going to run you a hell of alot more than 4x4 will. even doing dual opteron is going to be a bit pricey for someone whos looking at maybe stretching their budget to include an X2 3800+.




as for the original post, keep saving your cash. your current rig isnt going to suddenly stop running your games just because new hardware is out. do yourself a favor and wait a little more and see whats out in the comming months. always consult the forums, review sites, and any friends you may have that know even the slightest bit about hardware. when it comes down to it your better off looking at your options once you already have the cash since you get a better idea of the whole picture.
 
There will always be new hardware months away...

when it's time for a system:
-(if you are ok with used parts) hit the for sale/trade forums...always a good deal here
-hit the hot deals forum...I have saved an extra 30% by shopping out of these 2 forum sections...
 
Here's my problem with what appears to be going on at AMD these days.
They are working closely with devs to make multithreaded apps to take advantage of the 4x4 platform. At the same time, they are supposedly have an ace of their sleeve with AM2 being capable of "reverse hyperthreading", which will speed up single-threaded apps. These two strategies seem like somewhat of a conflict to me.

I guess what AMD is banking on is convincing us we need 4 cores. That way, reverse HT makes single threaded apps speedy, and the 4 cores obviously make multi-threaded apps speedy.

IMHO, two cores is plenty for the forseeable future, and AMD is sort of missing the boat by optimizing for either 1 "core" (reverse HT) or 4 cores, instead of focusing on dual core performance.
 
jebo_4jc said:
Here's my problem with what appears to be going on at AMD these days.
They are working closely with devs to make multithreaded apps to take advantage of the 4x4 platform. At the same time, they are supposedly have an ace of their sleeve with AM2 being capable of "reverse hyperthreading", which will speed up single-threaded apps. These two strategies seem like somewhat of a conflict to me.

I guess what AMD is banking on is convincing us we need 4 cores. That way, reverse HT makes single threaded apps speedy, and the 4 cores obviously make multi-threaded apps speedy.

IMHO, two cores is plenty for the forseeable future, and AMD is sort of missing the boat by optimizing for either 1 "core" (reverse HT) or 4 cores, instead of focusing on dual core performance.
interesting speculation. I was under the impression that the 4x4 platform allowed for more intergration that just two dual-core CPUs, but rather a DC CPU and "something else".
 
dont get a 4x4, it would be overkill...

much better getting an AM2 dual core proc and then just upgrading later on, maybe even to quad core next year
 
brucedeluxe169 said:
dont get a 4x4, it would be overkill...

much better getting an AM2 dual core proc and then just upgrading later on, maybe even to quad core next year

Silly me, meant 265 0.o
 
Back
Top