Amazon Ships 8 Plates In 13 Boxes

HardOCP News

[H] News
You gotta love stories like this one. Well, when you are paying for shipping and handling you probably don’t love this story but it is still good for a laugh (at this guy’s expense). Note the tiny stack of blue plates in the lower left hand corner of the picture:

LMFAO. I work at UPS, and that just forced so many thoughts through my head.

If it's a single-line-item purchase, it would have cost me $3.99 overnight (Prime) LOL

Thats hilarious.

But in all seriousness, this is a waste of resources to epic proportions.

Maybe they are all prepackaged so all they have to do is move a box and reduce the chance of breaking a plate. If that is the case then 8 different boxes with one plate each being put into 5 different boxes makes a little more sense.

The plates probably came individually packed in the smaller boxes on the left (from the manufacturer) which were packed together in the larger boxes on the right. It's a huge waste of cardboard, but honestly no fault of Amazon.com…

Maybe they are all prepackaged so all they have to do is move a box and reduce the chance of breaking a plate. If that is the case then 8 different boxes with one plate each being put into 5 different boxes makes a little more sense.

Thats what I thought at first. But how would amazon keep that kinda inventory? Space is a prime in a warehouse.

The plates probably came individually packed in the smaller boxes on the left (from the manufacturer) which were packed together in the larger boxes on the right. It's a huge waste of cardboard, but honestly no fault of Amazon.com…

OK, it is Amazons fault; I didn't zoom in to see the Amazon.com logo...

Having to reship a broken plate(s) would have probably been more wasteful.

That is what I was thinking. What Ockie stated is true, space is a prime, however if you have a decent amount of inventory getting broken then you would quickly decide to giveup some space to cut down on lose inventory.

If it's a single-line-item purchase, it would have cost me $3.99 overnight (Prime) LOL

Was coming to post just this...and or to mention that 2nd day air is free, so would not bother me a bit.
Amazon Prime is a wonderful thing.

I'd rather have too many boxes than not enough, which is the direction Newegg seem to be going.

That is what I was thinking. What Ockie stated is true, space is a prime, however if you have a decent amount of inventory getting broken then you would quickly decide to giveup some space to cut down on lose inventory.

Yeah, it would also depend on how much these plates cost. If they are 200 bucks a pop, then I'd want everything in it's own box.

Same thing happened to me I got sent 8 keyboards in 8 big separate boxes. I should have 'snapshotted it

if those came from Amazon direct then shipping was probably free...over $25

heh, that just reminded me to put out the recycle container :)

Amazon once shipped me two boxes: 1 for a book and the other for my invoice.

I ordered a DVD from amazon once and it come in a box laugh enough to fit a CRT monitor in,...... took me 5 minutes to just dig threw the packaging nuts to find my movie...

I looked up the price of the box and packaging nuts at the hardware store and it cost almost as much as the movie...

But that can't win over 8 plates in 13 boxs

This was probably the only way these plates would survive being shipped UPS.

No kidding. One year of unloading was all I could take, and when I tell people we threw the boxes I wasn't making a joke. Amazon was making sure this guy got his plates in one piece. Good for them.

This was probably the only way these plates would survive being shipped UPS.

I once had a computer shipped to me via UPS and the box had been left on my back porch with the note for signature "signature wavier on file" so i didnt even have a chance to refuse delievery that was so banged up it didnt really even have corners anymore. As soon as i opened it i could tell that there was no way the computer survived. I open it up and there is just broken PCB everywhere and the entire harddrive cage was free from being ripped loose somehow smashing every component in the system.

UPS ended up denying the insurance claim as well due to "insuffectent packing" even though it was being shipped in its origional packing.

When I first read the title, I thought for some odd reason that some plates were broken and the pieces were shipped in extra boxes.

Apart from small items like a USB drive in a box the size of a couple of HDD the "best" have from Amazon is ordering 3-4 used books from the SAME store, for about $2 each and having to pay $4 S&H on EACH book, since there is no way to ask for ONE box.

I also like those that are less than $1 each with the $4 S&H

AS for this I can SEE it making sense as long as each plate was not charged separately, since it does protect the china.
There are better sized boxes they should have used but the IDEA was ok

I ordered 4 wiper blades and this is what I got.

Before.jpg

After.jpg

Free shipping, total was over $25.

i dont understand what the complaint here is... your shipping fragile glassware. each piece should be shipped in it's own box, then double boxed together.

This should be SOP for shipping fragile glasswares from any company.

have anyone ever seen the boxes that come from UPS or US Postal?

Maybe Amazon should put a check box where you can ask them to ship with minimum packaging and indemnify them (no replacements) for broken items during transit. You'd be a fool thou to ask em to do this.

Reminds me of the time I asked Buffalo to ship me an antennae conversion connector for a wireless 54g router, it was free if you asked them for it. Here's what got shipped. That microscopic little doodad in the center is the connector. Guess a padded envelope just wouldn't cut it, huh? I'd have to say this plate guy definitely wins hands down in the excessively packaged dept, though.

At least there's less enviroweenies here...it's not really wasteful at all. Corrugated board, if not already made from recycled paper, will be recycled. That and if I remember anything from college, it's that they drilled into us that the packaging industry operates with a surplus of softwoods for making paper from tree farms. The real bad guys are the people who cut down hardwoods to make furniture & houses.

That and it pretty much guarantee's no broken plates.

I don't remember where it was from anymore, but ordered two sticks of DDR 400 Ram a couple years ago for a PC I was building. I come home a few days later, and there was a huge box sitting on my porch, easily big enough for the biggest computer case I have ever seen, and inside, taped to the bottom, under a garbage bag's worth of peanuts, were the sticks in their little plastic case. I sent an email to whatever company it was, asking what was up with the huge box and got a "thank you for your wonderful suggestion" reply. I ordered a video card from the same place later on, and it came in a giant box (not as big as the memory sticks though) with no packing whatever, except a packing list, the retail box was just bouncing around in there. It survived ok, and that card sure was a lifesaver when my newer card ate it's fans a while back, and had to be replaced under warranty.

I'll tell you one thing, there is a good possibility that big box = you'll get the package in good order. I work closely with shipping companies and in my experience, the smaller the box, the more likely someone will steal it outright, pilfer, or damage it.

With large bubble wrap, you could put all 8 of those plates in the largest box on the bottom of the stack in the middle of that picture. Hell I could do it myself with bubble wrap and then pull one of those Ace Ventura: Pet Detective opening sequences with the plates, and I can almost guarantee they wouldn't break. That's just going beyond excessive, it really is.

Those plates are packaged better than the hard drive I bought from Amazon. Arrived in a box with one lousy sheet of bubble wrap, and the box was all dented up. And of course their ad didn't say anything about it being an OEM drive.

At least there's less enviroweenies here...it's not really wasteful at all. Corrugated board, if not already made from recycled paper, will be recycled. That and if I remember anything from college, it's that they drilled into us that the packaging industry operates with a surplus of softwoods for making paper from tree farms. The real bad guys are the people who cut down hardwoods to make furniture & houses.

That and it pretty much guarantee's no broken plates.

At work and at home, we just throw all the boxes away. We fill a large commercial dumpster daily. So the argument that it gets recycled is not always accurate as for example, we dont recycle.

Back