• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Amazon Running A Sweat Shop?

HardOCP News

[H] News
Joined
Dec 31, 1969
Messages
0
There is no disputing that Amazon wrote the book on fast (free) shipping but, at least according to this article, the cost of that service is high for many of the company's employees.

The result was an environment that, one employee told the paper, resembled “working in a convection oven while blow-drying your hair.” Eight days later, the paper said, an emergency room doctor at a local hospital saw enough Amazon employees suffering from heat-related injuries to call OSHA and report “an unsafe environment.”
 
That is insane. They can't install some A/C up in there for the hot months? They certainly make enough money...
 
Complete nonsense... you're making $12 an hour, that's pretty good pay. Imagine if you were working minimum wage as a road worker in this CRAZY heat this summer. Drink some extra water, or STFU because you're making $12/hour on a NON-slave job. Nobody is forcing them to sit in heat, figure out how to use a cooling device, wtf.

By the way, THOUSANDS of people are hired by amazon... they are winners in my book
 
That is insane. They can't install some A/C up in there for the hot months? They certainly make enough money...

Most warehouse jobs do not offer an AC or heat. I know where I work its contractual that there is no heating or ac of any kind in the building. We do have tons of ventilation fans to keep air circulating.

But it is an entirely different matter if a lot of people are suffering heat illness.
 
Complete nonsense... you're making $12 an hour, that's pretty good pay. Imagine if you were working minimum wage as a road worker in this CRAZY heat this summer. Drink some extra water, or STFU because you're making $12/hour on a NON-slave job. Nobody is forcing them to sit in heat, figure out how to use a cooling device, wtf.

By the way, THOUSANDS of people are hired by amazon... they are winners in my book

Pretty good but could have used a "they're lucky to even have a job in this economy!"
 
I was initially schocked and had the same reaction about installing ac, then read how that was uncommon and this response from a worker:

"What they didn't mention in that article is how
They had iced down water bottles in ice chests at Least 1 in every work area and mod. 3 days a week had fresh fruit in the break room. Clear bottles for water or gatorade are allowed on the floor. cold Gatorade and ice machines are in the break room. they were allowed 20 minute breaks every 2 - 2 1/2 hours. Corporate safety heavily talked about staying hydrated. I'm 48 yrs old 235 lbs and did not have an issue with a heat injury."

Seems reasonable
 
Complete nonsense... you're making $12 an hour, that's pretty good pay. Imagine if you were working minimum wage as a road worker in this CRAZY heat this summer. Drink some extra water, or STFU because you're making $12/hour on a NON-slave job. Nobody is forcing them to sit in heat, figure out how to use a cooling device, wtf.

By the way, THOUSANDS of people are hired by amazon... they are winners in my book

Not sure if serios...

Anyway, working in an enclosed space with no airflow is different than working outside in the same heat.
 
Not sure if serios...

Anyway, working in an enclosed space with no airflow is different than working outside in the same heat.

Agreed. Based on the article I read earlier this morning they had all the doors and such closed. Talk about an oven.
 
Most warehouse jobs do not offer an AC or heat. I know where I work its contractual that there is no heating or ac of any kind in the building. We do have tons of ventilation fans to keep air circulating.

But it is an entirely different matter if a lot of people are suffering heat illness.

The problem is, people are stupid. Most people don't know how to deal with hot weather, unless they work outside. I guarantee you that roofers and construction workers had it a hell of a lot harder working outside during that heatwave, they were just intelligent enough to drink some water.

I was reffing for an airsoft game earlier this summer, where the temperature was hovering around 95 degrees (hot for a Maine summer day), getting to the field requires a 2 mile hike into the woods. No one brought water. I always keep 6 water bottles in my pack for the morons that forget theirs. There were people taking aspirin because they were overly dehydrated and had headaches, when what they really needed was water. People that don't work in the heat don't know how to deal with it.
 
Well, I will say this -- claims of dehydration such as this are preventable. Drink water, drink lots and lots of water. On the other hand, these facilities should probably be air conditioned. Amazon could spend a few dollars and make their workers a bit more comfortable. I know my packages arrive rather quickly, so I imagine this bunch of workers do their jobs well, so perhaps they should be rewarded a little.

In the end, this article and whole situation will probably be moot anyhow. Some suit will inevitably push the tax button, forcing Amazon to shut down their warehouses in PA. It's only a matter of time.
 
Just finished reading the article that this one references. After the first complaint was received, Amazon installed 13 additional fans, plans to install a better cooling system, and is paying emergency medical personnel to stay on-site in-case anyone needs help.

Doesn't sound like a sweatshop to me, sounds like a bunch of complainers that think the world revolves around them. $12/hr for walking around pushing boxes on carts is considered sweatshop pay? Getting fired from a temp position if you don't meet expectations is unexpected? Welcome to America with a high unemployment rate, companies don't have to pay for your lazy ass to sit around and do nothing anymore.
 
I was initially schocked and had the same reaction about installing ac, then read how that was uncommon and this response from a worker:

"What they didn't mention in that article is how
They had iced down water bottles in ice chests at Least 1 in every work area and mod. 3 days a week had fresh fruit in the break room. Clear bottles for water or gatorade are allowed on the floor. cold Gatorade and ice machines are in the break room. they were allowed 20 minute breaks every 2 - 2 1/2 hours. Corporate safety heavily talked about staying hydrated. I'm 48 yrs old 235 lbs and did not have an issue with a heat injury."

Seems reasonable

/thread

I know when I used to work picking up shopping carts at my local grocery store in the 120+ weather, corporate was VERY strict on employee health, we had free Gatorades and took frequent breaks
 
Oh please. It's a warehouse. They are constantly loading and unloading materials. What good would an AC unit do when an entire wall is basically open to the outside? I've worked in a warehouse before. I've left shifts completely soaked in sweat from literally stacking boxes all day long. It's hard work, but I signed up for it.

Amazon should treat their employees right. And by right, I mean providing adequate amounts of water and some industrial strength fans throughout the warehouse. But that doesn't mean the fan will always be pointed to each individual person. It's a warehouse. Don't expect to be pampered. Don't be stupid - drink some stinkin' water!
 
AC in a warehouse? I'd say that would be fairly uncommon. They did say Amazon added additional fans and offered plenty of electolytes and water.
 
I had assumed that Amazon does not own the facility that they operate out of but rather rent the facility from another owner. RR Donnelly, a big logistical company, ships pretty much just about anything you read on your store bookshelf including porn magazines leases their warehouses from other organizations. I was told that if they had owned the warehouse, it would have cost more money in taxes and other operating cost for maintaining the facility than to rent from another organization. But even then, the key to not having heat issue is to stay hydrated. Heck even boy scouts taught me that.
 
Complete nonsense... you're making $12 an hour, that's pretty good pay. Imagine if you were working minimum wage as a road worker in this CRAZY heat this summer. Drink some extra water, or STFU because you're making $12/hour on a NON-slave job. Nobody is forcing them to sit in heat, figure out how to use a cooling device, wtf.

Yeah because road workers totally get paid minimum wage, yup, no way they're making $20 an hour to hold a sign that says slow.
 
Complete nonsense... you're making $12 an hour, that's pretty good pay. Imagine if you were working minimum wage as a road worker in this CRAZY heat this summer. Drink some extra water, or STFU because you're making $12/hour on a NON-slave job. Nobody is forcing them to sit in heat, figure out how to use a cooling device, wtf.

By the way, THOUSANDS of people are hired by amazon... they are winners in my book
This shit here. I've worked in a warehouse during the past two summer breaks in triple digit weather for barely above minimum wage. The best thing they did was add an extra 10 minutes to afternoon break. These people have nothing to complain about.

walmart of the internet
You know, not too long ago I was thinking to myself, "Gee. Amazon sure is a popular place to shop. I wonder how long before they start getting as much hate as Wal-Mart?"
I now have my answer. :rolleyes:
 
I like the comments on the article about how $12/hour for a temp worker pushing boxes around is somehow class warfare.
 
WAAAA! Bunch of cry babies who can't even follow the companies recomendation to drink plenty of water, etc. Any wonder why companies relocate out of the US where possible?

If you want to work in an air conditioned environment, then get an education so you can work in a nice cool office instead of a warehouse.
 
Doesn't sound like a sweatshop to me, sounds like a bunch of complainers that think the world revolves around them. $12/hr for walking around pushing boxes on carts is considered sweatshop pay?

Sweatshops in my book usually implies illeglals/underage workers doing rote labor for sub-minimum wages. IOW, true exploitation. This doesn't sound like exploitation at all.
 
i hope they get lashed with a whip and held without food for atleast a day when my 2 shipping takes 3 days...
 
You know, not too long ago I was thinking to myself, "Gee. Amazon sure is a popular place to shop. I wonder how long before they start getting as much hate as Wal-Mart?"
I now have my answer. :rolleyes:

It is though. Razor thin margins, sell practically everything under the sun. It is eWalmart. And there was 0 vitriol in my post, so I'm not sure where you're saying I hate them.
 
Cry me a fucking river. Nobody is forcing them to work there. Complainers will complain. Hey how about this: If you don't like manual labor, don't do it.
 
Did you see where 15 people collapsed on one day? 15?

Did they follow policy and stay hydrated?

I've worked warehouse jobs when I was 18-19. There IS NO AC. You take your breaks when you need to, and stay hydrated. 102 Heat Index isn't going to hurt you if you actually do those 2 things. Also, these things are likely under the jurisdiction of the Property Manager.
 
Did they follow policy and stay hydrated?

I've worked warehouse jobs when I was 18-19. There IS NO AC. You take your breaks when you need to, and stay hydrated. 102 Heat Index isn't going to hurt you if you actually do those 2 things. Also, these things are likely under the jurisdiction of the Property Manager.

Fifteen collapsed, not 1 or 2, lol.
 
102 is not that hot.... Unless they were prevented from taking breaks and or staying hydrated I fail to see what amazon did wrong.
 
Are lower prices more important than employee wages and benefits?

$12+ an hour for a temporary staffing warehouse stock picking type job isn't less than what other companies pay. It's likely a hell of a lot more than a Walmart employee in an equal position would get.
 
Back
Top