As for the Tablet, and considering it is only $50

Quad core CPU - good
micro SD slot - good
Standard Micro USB charging port - good

1024x600 resolution - bad
8GB internal storage - bad
VGA front camera -bad
2mp rear camera - bad
90 day warranty - bad (upgrade to 1 year warranty is $9.99)

Not overly impressed.

The ugly:
  • Fire OS is buggy trash with forced updates to newer and buggier versions (seriously for more than a week the touch screen was broken on an earlier forced update), usually breaking root if applied
  • Amazon puts in work to prevent users from using anything other than the Amazon App store, which sucks worse than Fire OS
  • Fire OS does not include google apps, so some free apps won't even work sideloaded, and don't hold your breath about apps being ported to Amazon's APIs.
You can sideload apps or install via 3rd party software, but it's much more of a hassle than it needs to be.

In our household we have a 1st Gen Fire, a 2nd Gen and a Fire HDX. Never had any issues with an update breaking any of them that I recall, and the 1st gen is rooted.

For the other two points, I'll just say. Pick the right tool for the job.

I'll pick one up just as soon as you can ditch Amazon's OS and install vanilla Android. Specs are perfect for the price and what I want to use it for.

Yeah, touchscreen glitches never happen with bad updates, besides the HDX one last year and the one in that ink and any other ones. :p Rooting works until Amazon issues an update that disables it. If you have an old tablet that stayed rooted, it likely hasn't received a significant update since you rooted it; it's basically stuck with an old OS and is essentially unsupported.

I'll pick one up just as soon as you can ditch Amazon's OS and install vanilla Android.
You can't. It's a low end crap tablet and there will be several similar ones on sale next month that are actually hackable, if you want to do that. If you buy the $50 Kindle, you'll be stuck with lock screen ads and a fairly limited device compared to other low end Android tablets.

Might pick me up the 4k fire tv (gotta buy 4k tv first :) ), but I can't really think of a use for the fire tablet. Maybe as a cheap remote for my logitech harmony hub... I wouldn't use that low res screen for much else.

Yeah, touchscreen glitches never happen with bad updates, besides the HDX one last year and the one in that ink and any other ones. :p Rooting works until Amazon issues an update that disables it. If you have an old tablet that stayed rooted, it likely hasn't received a significant update since you rooted it; it's basically stuck with an old OS and is essentially unsupported.

You can't. It's a low end crap tablet and there will be several similar ones on sale next month that are actually hackable, if you want to do that. If you buy the $50 Kindle, you'll be stuck with lock screen ads and a fairly limited device compared to other low end Android tablets.

I figured, but it was worth hoping.

Alas, one more cheap, crap tablet in a segment flooded by them. BUT, with the Fire tag, and the impending holiday sales season, it'll move. Shoot, for $50, it's a spur of the moment present that doesn't suck.

With a MicroSD slot, I'm willing to bet someone ports Lollipop to it REAL quick.

Not likely. MediaTek chipset and read only bootloaders. Amazon locks their shit down.

This is the tablet you buy in bulk and mount all over the house. I'm going to see if I can install one of these across from each toilet in the house.

Watching something on prime. Need to take a dump. Pause.
Give it 30 seconds to sync.
Relocate to shitter. Bring up app.
Hit resume. Drop turds.
Pause. Clean up.
Back to Media room. Resume.

It's a fucking TV junkie's wet dream.

I laughed because it's true.

I dont remember saying glitches never happen. No need to get so defensive man, just speaking from MY experience with three of them. None of which are in use anymore

As for rooting, well ...
Rooting works until Google/Samsung/Motorola/HTC/LG/Asus issues an update that disables it. If you have an old tablet/phone that stayed rooted, it likely hasn't received a significant update since you rooted it; it's basically stuck with an old OS and is essentially unsupported.

That is the norm, it is not specific to amazon.

Need at least 10 inch display..I know not for 50 bucks. I love Amazon. I hope the next phone is ok. I get packages at least twice a week from them. Love prime .Hell I get my stuff on sundays.

This might be just the tablet I need. I need something for light internet use and heavy Netflix use when I am traveling for work.

Know I'm an old man but why the constant bitching about camera's on a cheap ass tablet. Buy a damn camera, they're small enough for great quality pic and cheap. Does Facebook really need 12MP's ???

Know I'm an old man but why the constant bitching about camera's on a cheap ass tablet. Buy a damn camera, they're small enough for great quality pic and cheap. Does Facebook really need 12MP's ???

Nice to have a decent resolution on the front facing camera for video chat, but yeah, are you really taking photos with your tablet? Not only does the quality suck but you look like a goddamn idiot doing it.

My HDX has been flawless, I just don't use a tablet as much as I used to. My mom prefers the Chromebook I got her over the Tablet I got her. I prefer using my Phone than my tablet, and occasionally I use my nVidia Shield for some android gaming or streaming.

The toilet-tablet idea someone posted seems like a good use-case for these tablets. It's just sad that after the excellent HDX series, they follow it up with these underpowered (but fairly priced) things. It's like following up the GTX980-Ti, with the GTX950 a year later as it's replacment.

It's just sad that after the excellent HDX series, they follow it up with these underpowered (but fairly priced) things. It's like following up the GTX980-Ti, with the GTX950 a year later as it's replacment.

Not sure what you're smoking, but this isn't the successor to the HDX series.

Back