Amazon Prime Video will start showing ads on January 29th

I fondly remember the amazing 80s commercials that were on TV when I was a kid. TV commercials started back in the 40s. They weren't as rampant and obnoxious as they are now though.
Ya now it is like 22mins of show and 8 mins or commercials spread through out, what seems like every 3-4 mins a commercial

Ya now it is like 22mins of show and 8 mins or commercials spread through out, what seems like every 3-4 mins a commercial
This is why I just "record" shows on YouTube TV so I can fast forward through the commercials. Or if I'm watching something live, I'll pause it for like 30 minutes so I can fast forward as well.

I had no issues seeing the dark scenes in that show, but my Samsung TV has 2000 nits of brightness.
I didn't have any issues either on my LG C8 with 600-700 nits of brightness, but that has infinite contrast and per-pixel lighting.
Like I said my tv isn't the best when it comes to HDR I'm sure, Samsung q70 I believe... but didn't even think to play it through a native TV app instead of through Roku. Maybe I'll give that a try and see if it does anything.

Edit: Ok, going through Samsung's Amazon Prime app didn't change anything, dark scenes are still super dark with very little contrast making them unwatchable, checked LotR 4kHDR scene where Nazgul hunting hobbits at night, and yeah it's dark like it should be but I can easily make out all the shapes of everything and actually see it for what it is.
The Samsung Q70 has no local dimming, meaning it has fake HDR. The low real scene brightness of 400 nits combined with near-blacks being raised in brightness means very little contrast in dark scenes. The difference you see with the Lord of the Rings trilogy is that they were extremely thorough in remastering the film after the original UHD release was badly botched. I'm sure that Amazon doesn't go through the same level of meticulousness in their regular content. That combined with the poor HDR performance of your TV results in a worse picture.

Reactions: Halon
like this
Back