Amazon Offers Prime Discount to Those on Government Benefits

And none of that means a hill of beans for the kind of person you are. Making broad generalizations about mass amounts of people you don't know says all anyone needs to know about you.

Heh you really are childish. The point I was making is I actually do have a factual generalization of the kind of people who take advantage of government benefits because I work in a department that deals with people who defraud the government.

Given the large uptake in the sheer number of welfare recipients, one has to wonder. I agree the innocent shouldn't be punished. But there needs to be an overhaul for sure. I guess some people would panic and consider this cruel. But people who are unmotivated in their own self preservation and betterment have no reason to get off the dole. (And is the reason why Soviet Communism caused their manufacturing infrastructure to be years behind us. There was no incentive to work harder towards improvement.)

Again, I'm not saying that welfare isn't needed. There are truly some needed and justified cases for it. But I personally know someone who says, "I will be taken care of as I expect social security to take care of me when I retire" Well they haven't paid SS in over 14 years because of health issues (panic and anxiety). Their social security is non existent.

When I pointed this out to them on the social security site, they paniced, and got severely depressed. After that they set about to make a change because they didn't have an option.

I agree, and I'm not arguing that people do abuse the system. But there's a LOT of systems out there, and they're all different and supposed to help different groups. I don't think they should all be lumped together, and I certainly don't think everyone on these programs should be considered worthless or a leech. I'll give you an example when I was young, some of the very junior Sailors at my command had kids and were on WIC. I know those people, and they would certainly deserve a discounted Amazon Prime membership if it was available. (not sure if Amazon existed yet at the time, but that's neither here nor there)

Does a couple of houses and some cars count?

Oh, I didn't get where you were going with this but I think I do now.

That's two houses and a couple of cars, with no mortgages or loans. I wrote checks for all of it.

OK, a little white lie. When I bought my 2015 Challenger I didn't have enough to pay the entire purchase price so I put about 25K down on it, and paid off the rest three months later. I didn't want to have to pay the penalties and raise my income tax for liquidating an IRA.

Sometimes I roll my 401Ks over into the next company's plan, sometimes I roll them into a new IRA. When I get up to 3 or 4 different IRA's going, some do better then others, I consolidate them.

Since I retired from the Army in 1998, I've worked for L3, Northrup Grumman, CSC, Oberon Associates, Raytheon, SAIC, NCI, and Semper Valens Solutions. That's eight different outfits in 19 years as a contractor, and I was 5 years with the first one, L3. So after L3 I did 7 companies in 10 years.

It's why some people don't like contracting work.

Now you were going somewhere with your question right?

You aren't middle class. At worst, you are upper middle.

Most people can't afford to buy a house with cash, let alone two houses and a Dodge Challenger to boot. It is easy to avoid debt when you are wealthy.

Most people can't afford to buy a house with cash, let alone two houses and a Dodge Challenger to boot. It is easy to avoid debt when you are wealthy.

I have a salary job as associate engineer and am about to pay off my used camry (7 years later) ! I rent a 750sqft house.

#ballin

Heh you really are childish. The point I was making is I actually do have a factual generalization of the kind of people who take advantage of government benefits because I work in a department that deals with people who defraud the government.
Or you're jaded and cynical and showing it here, that's entirely possible! That changes nothing about what I was talking about, nothing. And it's easy to miss the forest from the tree's when you live in the trenches.

Cash? Probably not but anyone who's worked a decent wage job for more than 15 years can afford those luxuries if they put away their money wisely. Also buying cheap houses was pretty easy back in the 90's and right after the crash.

I would rather have more people who need help than people in the middle class wishing others would just starve.

Welcome to your dream, welcome to Venezuela. Where more people need help than actually work and therefore they LITERALLY starve.

for·tu·nate
[ˈfôrCH(ə)nət]
ADJECTIVE
  1. favored by or involving good luck or fortune; lucky:

Since you took the initiative to volunteer to serve in the military, along with all the sacrifices and hardships that entails, don't devalue your service by characterizing it as "luck".

I took the same initiative, and was deemed too disabled to serve. So don't shit on those with disabilities either. Just because there are able bodied people taking advantage doesn't mean disabled people should be treated like they don't exist and aren't legitimate. I was pissed when I was turned down. But in the end it was for the best, I wouldn't have survived boot camp. Hell I barely survived two years of work after that before I had to face my limitations.

Have used snap personally after back surgery, and after coming home from peace corps. Thank god the programs exist. I suppose between jobs when exiting college too.
http://federalsafetynet.com/welfare
Link for waste on aid packages and billing errors on the gov side.
Really a big loss from negative taxes, so really the less than 100k per year crowd already cheat the gov out of money.
Guess you need to pick a battle. I know i get most of my taxes back from h&r so i really don't pay taxes for anything, so i can't complain.
:)

I get what Amazon is trying to do. Amazon Prime is not a necessity. When do working people get a discount.

Guess the handout continues.

Guess if your life's ambitions are being unemployed and on welfare, then this should help pass the time until you overdose or are shot.

Back