Amazon Oculus Rift Bundle Shipping Before Pre-order Customers?

HardOCP News

[H] News
Apparently people that pre-ordered the Oculus Rift are upset that, while they are still awaiting shipment of their headsets, you can buy an Oculus bundle on Amazon and have it next week.

While many pre-order customers have been told that because of a component supply issue, they may have to wait as long as two months before their Rift arrives at their doorstep, according to Amazon’s customer support, it may be possible for people to order the Oculus Rift and ASUS G11CD-WS51 Desktop PC Bundle or multiple other bundles and receive their headset within a matter of 7-8 days.

From what I can see -- the sellers on Amazon are the psudo-scalpers that are selling a single headset for $1500.... From what I remember reading, the people ordering it from Oculus themselves the price was 600-800?

With any new tech/fad/gadget, if you want to be the first to play, you usually have to pay. Sucks about the parts supply issue oculus is having, but for any headset in hand, obviously people are willing to pay double maybe even triple the MSRP to get it in their hands. Cash is king, and when someone is willing to spend $1000 more than preorder joe blow... you'd kind of expect the guy with the money to get it first.

I don't see any real problem here -- it's called supply and demand.

Tech Newsflash: April 18, 2016 – Los Angeles

The impending release of the Oculus Rift Virtual Rality (VR) headset has come upon a serious roadblock. A fatal flaw has been discovered during the final round of human trials with the new VR display unit. Oculus VR’s Chief Scientist Sven Omni disappointingly revealed that several human test subjects have died during testing: “Unfortunately, the results were so impressive to our test subjects that they choked to death while using our display units.” While the final test results have not been made public yet, we have obtained a leaked copy. Apparently, the test subjects had a severe side effect that caused the their mouths to open with awe uncontrollably. After lengthy exposure to Oculus Rift use, the mouth breathing became so severe that it caused extreme dry mouth and, in turn, an exaggerated gag reflex that cause the unfortunate test victims to choke on their dry withered tongues. You can see these severe results from the attached pictures. The Oculus Rift VR device release has been postponed indefinitely until a jaw support safety modification can be made.

Image1.jpg

Last edited:
How many companies are going to make this same mistake? PR fallout must not be that bad if it keeps happening over and over.

$1400 is a bundle price that ASUS and Amazon put together, Amazon is a big retailer and its easy to see that they would fill those orders out of a different queue system that individual people.

The whole Vive/Rift launch is a joke , how can you sell something and tell me shipping will be 6 months from now?!
and we are not talking about low-yield silicon availability like highest end GPU`s either.

The whole Vive/Rift launch is a joke , how can you sell something and tell me shipping will be 6 months from now?!
and we are not talking about low-yield silicon availability like highest end GPU`s either.

I thought the same thing, and refused to buy it. When it gets to retail, we'll see.

Red sky at morn, early adopters be warned. Red sky at night, scalpers delight.

I sort of lost faith in them when they sold out to facebook. I think I can wait 2 years until we see major price drop, work the bugs out and software/games mature.

Reality check for everyone complaining... Yes a huge multinational that requires a certain amount of stock on hand and a stock replenishment plan to even sell it takes priority over individual orders. if you are butthurt over this please buy a cryceratops from amazon and hold it tight

Reality check for everyone complaining... Yes a huge multinational that requires a certain amount of stock on hand and a stock replenishment plan to even sell it takes priority over individual orders. if you are butthurt over this please buy a cryceratops from amazon and hold it tight
We're not talking about any individual orders, these are pre-orders, purchases that was made before a product was release in order to secure one on release. I don't see how anyone can justify delaying pre-order purchases and give priority to post release sales. It completely defeats the purpose of pre orders.

What's the point of paying early just to have your product delayed

We're not talking about any individual orders, these are pre-orders, purchases that was made before a product was release in order to secure one on release. I don't see how anyone can justify delaying pre-order purchases and give priority to post release sales. It completely defeats the purpose of pre orders.

Its very simple, Amazon needs product in volume so how the math works is Amazon > You. i know this is upsetting however you will still get your order when they have the appropriate volume to satisfy amazon. Again go buy a cryceratops and hold it tight till you get your order.

I'm thinking people should just buy the amazon bundle, get it next week, when their rift finally ships beginning of may, return the amazon product.

I'm thinking people should just buy the amazon bundle, get it next week, when their rift finally ships beginning of may, return the amazon product.

why?! my god people in this topic are sounding worse than entitled millennials. "mine hasn't shipped yet and it has a date in may but wait someone can get it on amazon faster" from the looks of it its only with a hardware bundle quick someone call the waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaambulence

why?! my god people in this topic are sounding worse than entitled millennials. "mine hasn't shipped yet and it has a date in may but wait someone can get it on amazon faster" from the looks of it its only with a hardware bundle quick someone call the waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaambulence

I stated a completely reasonable thing someone could do while they wait for their rift. The only person on here QQing is you. Just because you're a whiny cry baby complaining about what some people are posting, doesn't mean you aren't guilty of being a whiny cry baby.

If you pre-order anything, you're dumb. You are basically hedging the companies risk for them. For no real benefit except perhaps a *chance* to have some new buggy thing before your friends. Even then, the companies are just going to sell-out to the larger purchaser/retailers anyways.

Stop pre-ordering, period.

I stated a completely reasonable thing someone could do while they wait for their rift. The only person on here QQing is you. Just because you're a whiny cry baby complaining about what some people are posting, doesn't mean you aren't guilty of being a whiny cry baby.

spending another 1500 for a bundle with a pc and a rift vs idk just waiting till may for your 600-800 piece of hardware. hmm decisions decisions

/thread :D

Its very simple, Amazon needs product in volume so how the math works is Amazon > You. i know this is upsetting however you will still get your order when they have the appropriate volume to satisfy amazon. Again go buy a cryceratops and hold it tight till you get your order.
Explanations aren't automatically valid excuses.

OTOH in this day and age people should realize pre-orders end in disappointment because people are scum.

spending another 1500 for a bundle with a pc and a rift vs idk just waiting till may for your 600-800 piece of hardware. hmm decisions decisions

/thread :D
Try being a single woman in your late 20s, with cultural and biological pressures to find a decent man to start littering the world with your spawn... maybe then you will realize the magnitude of this VR situation.

Buying power people. Amazon has it. All of the Kickstarter contributions 10x over can't match a single deal between Amazon and Facebook, so it's really no wonder there might have been a hesitation to honor thousands of one-ofs over a massive single shipment.

When they started the preorders that told people that there was a set number of Rifts set aside for sale in bundled pc builds. This is a total no issue. Also, if you look at the amazon site there are people selling just the Rift for $1500 when you can get the Rift with a pc for that price.

My best guess is that when the orders started getting lost in limbo they decided to a pull a money is no object run... they tend vendor A that for every headset you build off spec you get a larger chunk of profit and have to build one or two headsets for the pre-orders. Usually they are better at doing that before launch and hiding what they did. I know the guess orders pretty much got lost in limbo when Eve Valkyrie drove the interest through the roof. The early orders were a small fraction of 1500 dollars... for that I hope they using some really high end components.

Who has been paying early?

If you pre-order anything, you're dumb. You are basically hedging the companies risk for them. For no real benefit except perhaps a *chance* to have some new buggy thing before your friends. Even then, the companies are just going to sell-out to the larger purchaser/retailers anyways.

Stop pre-ordering, period.

I agree if payment is taken at the time of the pre-order being placed.
But neither company is doing this.
You can cancel the pre-order at any time before your order is met with no financial penalty, because you havent paid anything.

They are basically creating a waiting list and assessing interest so they know the scale of parts they need to order themselves.
I dont blame them for doing this, there is nothing bad or wrong with it while demand outstrips supply.

Back