Amazon Bans Shady Non-Compliant USB Type-C Cables

Are they going to actually enforce it? That same list says laser pointers and pretty much anything that has a laser pointer, yet amazon themselves has tons of these items sold by amazon for sale.

Are they going to give refunds for the ones I bought already, when I got a phone that only had a USB-C port?

That's a good question.

I bought a few of these for $3.99 with Prime shipping back when I first got my Nexus 5x, as it only came with a USBC->USBC charging cable.

I have no way of testing it they meet all requirements for USB 3.1 type C, but I am going to go ahead and guess that they don't, based on the price.

For now - however - as long as it can carry the charge load of charging my Nexus 5x from a standard USB 3 Type A port and can carry data to my phone for transferring pics and ADB type stuff I am happy. What happens down the road if in the future I get a beefier device and this cable is not compliant is another question...

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I wish they'd do this for batteries too.

This. If they're going to "ban" things do it with all shoddy and knock-off products. Why limit? Also, as others have said, it would be nice if they actually enforced this shit. What's the point if you aren't following your own rules?

How will Amazon enforce this consistently? Customer feedback?

Just to point out. USBC v3.1 is the only variant that will work with Windows 10 Mobile Continuum, which....the majority of you guys probably do not care about. But just something to keep in mind. v3.0 has better quick charging and so on.

what's the issue with these cables?

I just bought a new laptop that has usb 3.1, which I might use in the distant future

How will Amazon enforce this consistently? Customer feedback?

Just to point out. USBC v3.1 is the only variant that will work with Windows 10 Mobile Continuum, which....the majority of you guys probably do not care about. But just something to keep in mind. v3.0 has better quick charging and so on.

Well in a year or so when Microsoft quits its 20-year-long string of failures at attempting to make cellphones, and finally just admits they suck at it....no one will care at all, instead of the 12 people that use Windows Phone now.

Back