AM4 Offset heatpipe cooler?

So i dont need the 5.25 drive bay for an optical drive. I need the 5.25 bay to mount one of these:

View attachment 478002

Also, using a top-down style of cooler, even super low-profile, will likely see the bottom of this thing ^ as an obstruction to air flow and the RAM would probably end up baking under heavy load.
IMO, you should either pay up for this AIO (which would probably just be enough to keep your 3900x from max temp under full load)
https://www.titanrig.com/alphacool-...diator-fanless-black-03-15-ac-0125-01-on.html

Or use a different, larger case. Which will allow a decent, more conventional heatsink/fan.

just to update on how the thing looks with a Flex PSU in-place. Notice how much space is available at the bottom and to the side (it's actually quite a bit).

Also the gap between the PSU and the regular PCI-E slots will be filled with a 10GB NIC. I'd show it now but I was having some issues where the board doesn't seem to like it. Might have been the old PSU I was using so I'll try it again soon.

I want to turn the whole thing black (or dark) and I don't want to use paint so I'll probably end up bluing the whole thing.

1653890554777.png

also as a side note, I got my quad m.2 PM9a1 RAID-0 setup running and did a little benchmark:

1654235745854.png

Reactions: Nobu
like this
so the good news is that there is JUST enough vertical room in the case to allow for this thing....

The bad news is that the hole orientation makes it so that I have to use a bar to clamp the thing to the CPU... The bar does line up to two of the holes on the heatsink so I may drill some holes and attach the bar to the heatsink for a more secure fit... instead I used sticky thermal pad to help keep the thing still. It cools this 3900x with zero problems at stock clocks (which is all I care about).

1654581135897.png

Despite the bar I think the result is worth it:

1654581327318.png

I also drilled some holes in the 5.25" drive bay mount and used the slide-on cut-outs on the cisco 12G SAS card bracket to mount the card to the side of the 5.25 bay... it fits perfectly and doesn't move.

1654581735939.png

Since I'm running headless I could probably load an Epyc ATX setup in here with 256GB RAM.

i was going to suggest doing that to a C14 but price... that might work for a low/mid tier chip though.

It appears that my thinking may have been correct - bending these heatpipes vertically appears to have improved their performance; this cooler seems to perform better than the factory wraith cooler that I was using.

Nicely done!

I doubt bending heatpipes improved their performance. What improved performance is the fin-pack position creating better heated exhaust air separation from cool intake air into cooler. This means air entering cooler does not have heated exhaust air mixing into and warming it before it reaches fin-pack, and every degree cooler the air is entering cooler translates to same degree cooler CPU is (@ same fan speed & CPU load).

Last edited:
It appears that my thinking may have been correct - bending these heatpipes vertically appears to have improved their performance; this cooler seems to perform better than the factory wraith cooler that I was using.
what cooler did you end up using. yes that is better than the oem but did you compare it before/after bending or are you just assuming?

what cooler did you end up using. yes that is better than the oem but did you compare it before/after bending or are you just assuming?

Well, I can't get sensor data on esxi right now for some reason (on the list of things to do) but under load the wraith cooler would be noticeably hotter than this cooler. This cooler I can't even feel that it's getting hot. Take from that what you will, but it seems like this cooler does the job perfectly well. This could also be due to the wraith cooler simply being packed further down in the case and eating recirculated hot air.

I used the ID-COOLING IS-40X V3 Pro CPU cooler

...though I would caution anyone looking to use this cooler; examine the hole and mounting bracket orientation for your setup or you could get stuck like me having to drill holes in angle aluminum.

For reference, if anyone cares, the diagonal length of the AM4 socket mounting holes on my board (probably true for all AM4 sockets) is approximately 120mm.

another angle to better illustrate what it is that I did... notice the CPU cooler and the clearance at the top (I swapped out the fan from the earlier pic).... also what I did with my 12g SAS RAID controller.

1654616794876.png

This cooler I can't even feel that it's getting hot.
This could indicate that it's not transferring heat through the heatpipes, efficiently or at all. Unless the block over the heatpipes is also cool. If the block covering the pipes is very hot and the fins are cold, I would assume the pipes aren't working correctly.

This could indicate that it's not transferring heat through the heatpipes, efficiently or at all. Unless the block over the heatpipes is also cool. If the block covering the pipes is very hot and the fins are cold, I would assume the pipes aren't working correctly.

the block is warm but not hot.

Maybe I should start a build thread on this thing instead of posting everything here?

In my experience fins remain only slightly warmer than airflow thru them. Likely because they are releasing heat from heat pipe into airflow, so their outer edges have already been cooled to air temp or very near to it.

Keep in mind 50c is 122f, which is quite warm but not very hot. That said I wouldn't want to be in 122f weather, not at all. ;)

Back