Am I too picky or being smart?

xyeLz

Limp Gawd
Joined
Oct 16, 2011
Messages
134
I returned 8 NEC PA241w monitors in the past month because most of them had some form of backlight bleed.

I bought a U2410 back in January when I built my rig and that has now been replaced 6 times (and ongoing) because of disgusting yellow/red tint (and dead pixels here and there). They are considering refunding me for a depreciated amount.

I purchased an AW2310 for a side gaming monitor which I have had returned and refunded because of noticeable bleed on all four replacements on both the top and the bottom of the monitor the full horizontal length across - and I realized it wasn't worth the money for that type of monitor.

So I ask, is it normal to be this picky or am I actually being smart about this? Perhaps I am just the unluckiest monitor customer in the world?
 
Wow that is alot of monitor returns in the last year. But IMO it all depends on you and what you want and what you deem as acceptable.
 
Maybe you are, but for high end monitors like that you're paying for it to be perfect. I've had some high-end Dell Monitors (2407WFP, U2711 and U3011) that I considered perfect or near perfect. I've had a few Apple Cinema Displays and they've always been flawless. Maybe go that route if you don't mind the glare, it certainly sounds like you have the money for it. I'm sure there are other good alternatives, but I really only stay up to speed on Dell and Apple's stuff.
 
It is not that normal to be that picky.

Does that make it wrong? That's a different question. Furthermore, a single dead (off) pixel shuold not be a deal breaker and if you read most OEM's websites, expected. When you're making something that has 2,000,000 chances for failure, a six sigma level of manufactoring per pixel would result in 7 dead pixels PER MONITOR.

On the other hand, if you want an ultra high end monitor, I would suggest doing a lot of solid research about what you buy and how much back light bleed and other problems (color balance, etc) before you buy. If you do this research and find a monitor that from the reviews has the level of quality you desire for a price you can afford and you get it home and it doesn't preform, by all means take it back. If you simply go out and buy the 99$ special at Fry's and it doesn't look as nice as you think it does, well that's like complaining you bought a geo metro and wondering why it can't race a corvette.
 
I returned 8 NEC PA241w monitors in the past month because most of them had some form of backlight bleed.

I bought a U2410 back in January when I built my rig and that has now been replaced 6 times (and ongoing) because of disgusting yellow/red tint (and dead pixels here and there). They are considering refunding me for a depreciated amount.

I purchased an AW2310 for a side gaming monitor which I have had returned and refunded because of noticeable bleed on all four replacements on both the top and the bottom of the monitor the full horizontal length across - and I realized it wasn't worth the money for that type of monitor.

So I ask, is it normal to be this picky or am I actually being smart about this? Perhaps I am just the unluckiest monitor customer in the world?

I'd say it's 50-50 xyeLz,

So NEC and Dell aren't your cup of tea, maybe it's time to try HP, Samsung, and Asus ;)
 
I'd say it's 50-50 xyeLz,

So NEC and Dell aren't your cup of tea, maybe it's time to try HP, Samsung, and Asus ;)

Thanks 10e. ;) You have actually been helpful all along the way.

I actually went to Eizo but didn't want to pay that price for something that would have been just as good as the NEC had the NEC not had bleed problems.

I heavily considered HP LP2475w as well but once I read up on the tinting issues that also sometimes plague these monitors, I was turned off to them as well (especially since I already had a U2410 that would have been nice to combine another U2410 with). Dell has been so cordial to consider offering me a refund for this 7 month old U2410, but I won't know how much until Thursday when I get a call back.

I won't buy a Sammy or an Asus in my life, so no offense to those users, but I'm back looking again for two monitors.

10e, since you're here, have you seen any reviews on the P241w (as opposed to the PA241w)? I know the former is sRGB whereas the latter is wide-gamut, but for what I do I have no needs to print whatsoever. I do graphic and webdesign, and a bit of programming. I know you said in something I researched earlier that you yourself has no need for wide-gamut either (lets leave the biases out of here though! ;)) so I am looking for some input there.

sRGB vs aRGB for web-design, graphics, programming. I know many users have shit for monitors but I would still like my representation to be as accurate as possible, wouldn't you?
 
Industrial civilization is in a state of terminal decline.

You, my friend, are in for a lifetime of disappointment, as am I.

Still, I salute you, without a feedback loop the manufacturers don't even know to try and do better...not that they will, or can, anyway.
 
would be curious to see what you deem as an unacceptable level of backlight bleed. not because i don't believe you, but because i think one of my new monitors has it slightly in the lower left/right corners of the screen.
 
Back
Top