Am I stupid to consider a M11x as a gaming machine?

Ruahrc

Limp Gawd
So here's the story. I just bought a 2011 mac mini server, making the conscious choice to go with the quad core CPU over dual core w/discrete graphics. Partly because I wanted/needed the quad core for that computer, and partly because I realized that even though the ATI 6630M 256MB GPU is better than the HD3000, it is probably still far from adequate to make an effective BootCamp gaming machine (particularly when desktop gaming resolutions are 1680x1050+).

That means, if I want to PC-game in any relevant capacity, I need to build up a new windows gaming PC to replace my aging Shuttle (going on 5+ years now I think... probably 8 or more on it's initial build before upgrades).

The plan always was to build a new SFF based on mATX or probably mITX form factor. Respectable but modest specs, probably about $1000 total.

Then I heard about the m11x. For some reason it really intrigues me. I could get a decent (?) gaming system in a small package and even be able to easily take it to a friend's house to game? And it actually costs about the same? Count me in!

But am I just being dazzled by new + shiny here? Or the allure of mobile gaming that I probably won't do as much as I think I will (or would like to)? Is it actually a reasonable prospect to buy a gaming laptop to serve as a secondary computer just for gaming (the benefit being that it's actually transportable to some degree)? The mac mini is my day-to-day computer, and where I would do "real work"- the windows hardware would be purely for gaming. I also have a 13" MBP that serves as the computer I can/will travel with when I actually need to do work as well.

Or should I come to my senses and just go ahead with my original desktop plan? Another part of the driving force for this idea is that since I got my mac mini, I moved my 2nd 2209WA to my mac setup, leaving my windows PC headless (well I have an old 15" LCD on it right now). So I'd have to factor in the extra cost of buying an additional display for my new windows PC. A laptop would in a sense kill two birds with one stone.

The biggest drawback about the m11x in particular would be the small display, and whether or not the GPU is powerful enough to allow reasonable gaming when attached to an external (my 2209WA). 11" works great on travel, but at home it might be nicer to get a bigger experience.

Moving up in specs to like an m14x would grant me more gaming power, but the price increase also puts it into the territory where the benefit of the gaming laptop vs. the desktop (which I can probably assemble for ~$1000) makes it hard to swallow.

Looking for some advice or input on those with experience in gaming laptops? Although the m11x has legitimate chops as a gaming machine, does it still pale in comparison to what $1000 of desktop gaming can do?

Ruahrc

P.S. As far as games go, I'm not terribly serious about PC gaming anymore, I'd really like to play SC2, Diablo 3 (if it ever comes out), Shogun 2 TW, Anno 1404, Star Trek Online, maybe Deus Ex HR, etc. I don't play competitively online, nor do I play any FPS on the PC (except casually with friends)

P.P.S. Anyone know what the typical release cycle of the m11x is? Is there an r4 due soon- seems like the r3 was released early this year indicating a revision may come sooner rather than later.

I did have a youtube video going over a few of my laptop choices over the years, and why I chose them....[edit: but I never uploaded it, lol... got about 16 takes and no final edit, yet]

however. The 11.6" display on the m11x is a double whammy in bad, why?

Low resolution. That's not really bad, as it's 1366x768, which isn't horrible overall. however... it's small (physical size). No better way of putting it. It's 16:9, and it's small (I speak so after having about 6 laptops within this year alone, some 16:9, some 16:10, some large, some small). At this size, the vertical resolution is noticeablely lacking. It's not that the resolution is bad, however, the small screen (among it's next property listed below), really compiunts the issue.

It's reflective. As if that wasn't bad enough, Dell put an uneven (meaning.... not flat, and noticeably so) glossy plastic cover on top of the glossy screen. I would normally not complain about this (despite, comming from the laptop world, my general predisposition to hate glossy), however, even in a dimmed room, I can see my own reflection. In anywhere aproaching an office setting, I can see my own reflection, faintly, along with other light sources in the background, even when the display is on. It's pretty close to the most reflective display you can find, not to mention the top "glossy" plastic macbookpro wannabe cover has QA issues...

So far? I have owned 3 m11x units. One m11xR1 (I bought it just before the R2 came out). When it's hinge blew, I bought the R2 and sold off a repaired R1 instead. When my R2 hinge blew and battery decided to die within a month of purchase, I contacted support to repair both. After a while, the Alienware LED panel gave out (the one under the screen), and even though I have a decent idea of what's wrong, I gave up. I got a Sony Vaio S (2011) instead.

Why? I have found, even with a 1366x768 resolution, a larger panel does make a difference. Not to mention, the m11x is very heavy for it's size... heavier than all of my 11, 12, 13, 14 (one of each :eek:) laptops, one of which is more power than it (Vaio SA, 13" 6630m GPU).

Not very cohesive, but just my take on the m11x, as I have tried to use it as a primary for several months, before the severely undersized screen annoyed me to no believe.

IMO, just bootcamp the mac mini... the GT540m is not that much better than the HD6630m.

Last edited:
If notebookcheck can be relied upon (normally can, nowadays, despite it's general dispositon for nVidia (using old 05 benchmark), but....

GT540m is around 0-2% faster than the HD6630m.... assuming equal CPU. m11x uses ULV CPU.

Although the m11x has legitimate chops as a gaming machine, does it still pale in comparison to what $1000 of desktop gaming can do?

in one word, "omg-does-it-ever-pale-like-everyday-and-twice-on-sunday!"

on a serious note though, judging by the longevity of your current pc i'd say you should go for the home build. can you imagine how slow an m11x will be after 8 years?!?

if you build a sff core i5/i7 you will have some serious longevity. the new cpus run so cool and overclock so well, they are perfect for sff builds.

couple that with that fact you're not a serious gamer (and hence won't lan party that often) i think you should build one.

Hm, that puts some good perspective into things.

Given that the screen is probably identical to the one sold with the 11" Macbook Air, it actually doesn't seem that small to me from what I have seen/used of the 11" MBA.

It is very interesting to know about the relative power of the 6630M vs. the GT540M though. I did not know they were so close. You are probably right I should build up a real desktop PC for gaming, and maybe think about picking up an m11x r4 or r5 later on down the line if I really develop the need/desire to have a little portable gamer.

BTW I can bootcamp my mini, but remember I chose the mini server model with the quad core CPU, so I'm rockin' the Intel HD3000 GPU on that- not gonna get much respectable gaming from that...

Kind of sad really. I view the m11x as the little engine that could. Big props to Dell/Alienware for making such a niche product, and apparently making it actually pretty good too!

Ruahrc

From someone that bought the m11x for exactly what you are trying, I would say no. It plays the games fine, but the 11 inch screen is the killer. I thought I would get over it, as I have never been the "high res" gamer type. If you plan on playing any kind of game with a UI, like RPGs, its just too hard on the eyes. (For reference the games I tried and disliked were Torchlight, Rift, LoL, HoN. Super meat boy and minecraft looked perfectly fine.)

What I ended up doing that made it OK, was using an old 22 inch monitor when I wanted to play the RPG games, but that just led to me building a desktop and using this as a "powerful when needed" netbook. (its nice to have a netbook that can run autodesk software).

But am I happy I bought this as my laptop? Absolutely, love it. Just not for games.

Yeah that sounds about right. I've never really been a "high res" gamer either, but staying with the screen ALL THE TIME for gaming might be a bit subpar.

I think I will build up a desktop PC for now and maybe in the future I can buy a later revision of the m11x for the transportable gaming. Then again when ivy bridge comes out, it may just have enough "oomph" to cover what relatively light gaming needs I would have on travel anyways.

You can get an m14x on the dell outlet for $900 with a 20% off coupon code.

$1000 for a gaming SFF seems way over kill, unless you are going for a decent sized SSD.

The GT540m is very mediocre for gaming. Don't forget since Nvidia went with the 5 series I believe (may of started with the 4?) they started with the true Fermi architecture. On Notebookcheckforum there are a decent amount of complaints about the power draw of these GPU's and their thermals.

I'll just add that WITH TAX I got a DV6 from HP with a 6770M (blows the doors off of a GT540M) and an i7-6730QM for $900. The weight on the physical laptop is close to 6lbs. You can upgrade the screen to a badass screen (down the road upgrade for me) with the anti-glare 1080 screen over the 768.

The GT540m is slightly faster than the GT335m, while being roughtly the same for power draw. In the case of the m11x, that's all that really matters.

Given that the screen is probably identical to the one sold with the 11" Macbook Air, it actually doesn't seem that small to me from what I have seen/used of the 11" MBA.

Ruahrc
The screen on the M11X is no where near as good as the display used in the 11" Macbook Air. Bad viewing angles, low contrast, low brightness and the highly reflective surface really hurt what is an otherwise great laptop. If screen quality is important to you I suggest you skip the M11X and look at what Apple or Sony have to offer.

Back