am i part of 'that' group now?

themorningbells

Limp Gawd
so today i got my SECOND computer setup. it's a athlon mobile 2600+. i have this in addition to the rig in my sig (rig in my sig yeahhhh!). so did i ,join that 'group' that has two nice computers ,just sitting around? i mean... i use my first one all the time... but now i have a second of equal or so strength and before i'd have one computer for like 3 years. so did i ,join that group or are times ,just changing? maybe it's that i'm working and have my own money to buy this sort of thing now? i mean... i figure if you're on the hardocp forums, you've got to at least not be poor, otherwise you wouldn't have the capabilities of posting here. but i never really thought i'd ever have 2 computers as they ,just sit side by side to each other and...do the same thing? i don't know. is this off topic? does anyone have any idea what i'm talking about? am i ,just stonnned? wtf? haha. sorry but this post made sense in my head.

>>End Transmission

I'm poor because I'll have an 80k debt once I graduate.

However, I bought my PowerSpec two summers ago and bought a Dell Inspiron 1100 back in Feb. I can't really afford to buy anything else for awhile.

I really want a new car :(

wtf are you talking about?
two computers and one of them being used and the other one collecting dust?
what group is it that you mention about having 2 computers.
i have 2 desktops (curent one in sig, compaq presario 7360) and a laptop compaq presario 1200 and the laptop is collecting dust, and my mom is using the 7360 :)

Heheh, I dunno about you but I have two computers and I USE them. Then again...both my computers suck. :) lol

You need to join the [H]orde.

At the moment I've got 6 computers running 24/7 at full load.
23.8 Ghz of Folding power.

Luck....... :D

themorningbells said:
so today i got my SECOND computer setup. it's a athlon mobile 2600+. i have this in addition to the rig in my sig (rig in my sig yeahhhh!). so did i ,join that 'group' that has two nice computers ,just sitting around? i mean... i use my first one all the time... but now i have a second of equal or so strength and before i'd have one computer for like 3 years. so did i ,join that group or are times ,just changing? maybe it's that i'm working and have my own money to buy this sort of thing now? i mean... i figure if you're on the hardocp forums, you've got to at least not be poor, otherwise you wouldn't have the capabilities of posting here. but i never really thought i'd ever have 2 computers as they ,just sit side by side to each other and...do the same thing? i don't know. is this off topic? does anyone have any idea what i'm talking about? am i ,just stonnned? wtf? haha. sorry but this post made sense in my head.

>>End Transmission

I have XP1700+@2200+ at home and *cough* P!!! 600@800 *cough* at my college apartment, so what? you're trying to tell me that I don't belong here..? please.. :rolleyes:

actually the best reason to run dual rigs (or at least why I first adopted more than one computer) is so you can cross part when troubleshooting ;)

of course I dont have any means to cross part the primary components in my sig....yet :p

but my other three rigs share mostly cross partable components
and yet they are dedicated rigs, a box that is "secure" for browsing email and all "exposed" activities, a fileserver\backup NAS, and a backup workstation to the primary in my sig, of course any can in need replace the other in its "role"

and that has happened quite often for one reason or another
and its then no big deal to take one offline and work on mods, upgrades, change the config or try out new components

i do folding so i have like 12~14 rigs atm lol :D

Hell Im havin a hard enough time feeding these and cleaning up after em :p

(power and heat)

ive got my rig in the sig, and a p3 800. it now has an 8gb wd in it, instead of a 40gig... the xbox is a hungry mother...

I have 3 computers, 2 home built boxen (my babies) and a compaq EVO that my dad got from his work....it was POS when we got it but we upgraded it and now it's worth using a little... :eek:

themorningbells said:

>>End Transmission
Stop buying computers to flatter yourself on the internet.

play nice ;)

a little bragging is human nature
especially when its hard won and cool :p

I do see a computer in your sig
(and mine as well :p )

TheMostWantedPolishTwin said:
I have XP1700+@2200+ at home and *cough* P!!! 600@800 *cough* at my college apartment, so what? you're trying to tell me that I don't belong here..? please.. :rolleyes:

Id agree, the original comment "you've got to at least not be poor, otherwise you wouldnt have the capabilities of posting here" Came off as sounding insulting. He may not have meant it, but thats how it sounds.

yes, but it could also be a commentary (and a fairly accurate one from some percpectives) on the affluence level required to be an enthusisat
especially when you consider this is an international forum

I gave up alot to save up for my workstation, and it took a long time
but would likely have been next to impossible in other parts of the world
(lots of variables but you get the drift) :D

Volume said:
Stop buying computers to flatter yourself on the internet.

I wish I were that easily flattered? I'm going to end up selling it to my cousin anyways, ,just so you know, my special little baby. :D

lets see... I have an amd 64 a dual p2 and a p3 lappy and oddly enough none of them are just sitting around.

i used to have a lot...they slowly got sold to pay for upgrades on my main rig ;)

Tigerbiten said:

^
|
|

He wins, I've got 2 nice systems, one ok, a file server that is an ol 800mhz running 6HDD, and some test boxes.

Saying that group is kinda subjective. Where is your cut off? I use all of my systems....
Humm.... I've allways liked the computers to people ratio for your house hold

Me:
4 people 8 systems, 6 are mine personaly :cool: I'd say anything over a 3:1 is scary

Kendrak said:
^
I'd say anything over a 3:1 is scary

or a rendering farm :p
there are alot of small business - home business level aps
and even student level scientfic modeling that could fall into that category

I mention this because I hang out in a couple of computer graphics forums, where it quite common to cluster your workstations of yesteryear so the are rendering what you where modeling the day before ;)

or like Tigerbiten, puting a compulsive obession to useful work :p
(jk) ;)

I guess I am part of "that group" too. I have 2 computers aswell. All i need is a HDD, and a Case, and you can put that up to 3.

I use all my systems, but mostly my main one (in sig) and the other one, is more for family use, as it has the printer, and Isn't as good :p. (And is located in a general area, main comp is in my room.)

Can I claim youngest member of 'that group'? :D :p

Oh and Main Comp is running F@H, secondary "family" comp isn't turned on enough for it to be useful.

Ice Czar said:
yes, but it could also be a commentary (and a fairly accurate one from some percpectives) on the affluence level required to be an enthusisat
especially when you consider this is an international forum

I gave up alot to save up for my workstation, and it took a long time
but would likely have been next to impossible in other parts of the world
(lots of variables but you get the drift) :D

I suppose thats a valid point. I dont know if id fit into the "group" hehe...hehe :cool:

I don't see any problem with having more than one computer, so as long as you have a reason. It's not uncommon to have computers running different OSes, servers, dedicated gaming machines, laptops, etc.
Just remember to save a little money for food...

themorningbells said:

>>End Transmission

Check your grammer nub.

uhm...scuse me? since when did what someone wants to do with their own money become an issue over which everyone else has authority?

I was living in a place once and I had about 20 computers. most were quite old, but I had them because get this: I wanted them! *GASP*! for shame!

:rolleyes:
</rant>

It seems to me that a LOT of people have more than one PC in the home lately. And techies more than most! I have a pile of computer corpses in my basement, waiting to be scavenged into useable, if old, computers. And I don't see any harm in it.

Ice Czar said:
play nice ;)

a little bragging is human nature
especially when its hard won and cool :p

I do see a computer in your sig
(and mine as well :p )

Haha, OKAY I admit it, I do get a kick out of my sig.

I've got a 64-bit rig that I'm currently building, a 3 year old Dell 8100 that my parents use, and of course, my 300 dollar emachines that I turned into a media server.

In my house, we have my beautiful comp (sig) and a crap Gateway that my sister uses. The thing has a P2 233mhz and came with 32mb RAM, which was later upgraded to 64mb which is now at ~300mb. It has a Geforce4mx 440. Oh wait, we threw that one out the window... She now has a custom I built ~2years ago. 1gh AMD Athlon with that ~300mb RAM, the geforce, and onboard sound. 17" monitor.

It's funny, that computer to me is just a file backup server. It's not useable,c ause you know how much spyware accumulates when you let a 13yr old girl use a computer.

MY computer, though, is untouched by anyone else and perfect. ;)

I guess I fit in as well, since I have 3 or 4 computers total (1 useable at the moment). P3 1.0GHz (main rig), Dell Inspiron Laptop (dead), P3 650MHz, P100, and various Pentium II chips that I can still use if I need to, and enough HD space to take HP over! :D

Oh yeah, and within a month, hopefully I'll be purchasing an AMD 3200+XP computer thru Newegg, and a new Dell Inspiron Laptop (Pentium Celeron 2.6GHz).

yes, I do believe I fit in that "group" :cool:

Tigerbiten said:

So you have 6 PC's running at 3.967Ghz each? You must be a overclocking god!!!!!

infin|ty said:
Check your grammer nub.
Cume on, is this there commint reelly nessissarie? Since when dus this they're forum becum a gramar forum?

Kudos on the second PC. Brag all you want, this is what the forums here are for!!!! Here's an idea for the second one, get some software and a tuner card and make it into a HTPC.

Met-AL said:
So you have 6 PC's running at 3.967Ghz each? You must be a overclocking god!!!!!

Where did you get that idea? It doesn't mean all his PC's are equally clocked. Then again, he could have one at 20ghz and one at 3.8 :D

infin|ty said:
Check your grammer nub.

What does being a "newbie" (I assume you meant that) have to do with grammer? Or did you mean the non-slang definition of a nub: 'A small lump' or ' A protuberance or knob'.

Tigerbiten said:

4GHz each?

edit: nevermind, didn't read far enough down

Wixard said:
What does being a "newbie" (I assume you meant that) have to do with grammer? Or did you mean the non-slang definition of a nub: 'A small lump' or ' A protuberance or knob'.

Haha. You're both "nubs." It's spelled "grammar," not "grammer."

I kid, I kid. :p

Ho hum.

IBM Aptiva 2175:
K6-2 475MHz
128MB PC100
10GB HDD
Integrated SiS Graphics (w00t!)
15" POS CRT

The Home Computer:
AXP 1800+
Asus A7N266-VM
256MB PC2100
40GB HDD (might be 80GB, I don't remember)
Integrated GF2MX
18" ViewSonic LCD

My Computer:
AXP 1700+ @ 10.5x166
Asus A7N8X Deluxe r2.0
512MB PC2100 (heh)
160GB HDD
Ti 4200 128MB, Rage Pro PCI
3x 17" CRT

Of course, we have AOL dialup at home, so I can't do much of anything with them. :(

Wixard said:

The "grammer" was intentional if no one caught that. And you're so funny with that nub thing hahah..no.

infin|ty said:
The "grammer" was intentional if no one caught that. And you're so funny with that nub thing hahah..no.

I saw nothing but an insult in your post. :confused:

Back