• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Am I expecting too much?

safehaven

Limp Gawd
Joined
Apr 28, 2008
Messages
224
I took the recommendation given here for my mid-range gaming machine. Listed below are the specs.

AMD Phenom II X6 1055T CPU
Gigabyte GA-870A-UD3 AMD 870 ATX
G.Skill Ripjaw Series F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL 2 x 2GB DDR3 1600 RAM
XFX HD-585X-ZNFV Radeon HD 5850 1GB PCI-E Video Card
XFX P1-650X-CAG9 650W Modular PSU
Western Digital WD5000AAKS 500GB 7200RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive
Antec 300 ATX Case
Window 7 Premium 64-bit

I loaded up Battlefield Bad Company 2. I was expecting to be able to play this game on high settings. To my disappointment,medium setting is as high as I can go and keep a usable frame rate. I am running my monitor at 1920X1200. Is using high settings with this game expecting too much out this system? Or, do I need to start troubleshooting for a problem?
 
It's an issue with your machine.

Maybe video drivers?

I run BC2 maxed at 1920x1080 with 2xAA,8xAF, and i never drop below 35 (avg of 50).
 
I loaded up Battlefield Bad Company 2. I was expecting to be able to play this game on high settings. To my disappointment,medium setting is as high as I can go and keep a usable frame rate. I am running my monitor at 1920X1200. Is using high settings with this game expecting too much out this system? Or, do I need to start troubleshooting for a problem?

Have you actually tried manually adjusting settings under "Advanced Settings" in the game?

The default high setting might be too much for that system but you can always manually adjust the setting yourself. Lowering AA really helps with performance.
 
1. The concept of a "usable frame rate" is a very fluid one in these forums. What are you aiming for? 30 FPS? 60 FPS?

2. I can't turn the settings any higher (even 8X AA), running at 1920x1200, and I am floating between 35 and 55 FPS. From the listed specs, I see no reason your system should be having trouble. Time to start troubleshooting, I think.
 
Last edited:
I'm assuming you have all the latest motherboard drivers, GPU drivers, BIOS updates, etc. installed? Latest game patches?
 
I'm assuming you have all the latest motherboard drivers, GPU drivers, BIOS updates, etc. installed? Latest game patches?

Yeah, first I'd flash the bios with gigabyte's @BIOS (It works great, don't believe the naysayers. BE SURE when @BIOS asks you to reboot, you immediately hit delete at next post and access the bios. Then, select "load performance defaults", save, and exit.

@BIOS link:
http://download.gigabyte.us/FileList/Utility/motherboard_utility_gbttools_gbt_atbios.exe

Then, I'd uninstall whatever ATI driver your currently using via the windows control panel.
(be sure to install driver sweeper beforehand). Then, when its time to reboot, hold F8 at post to boot into "safe mode". Run driver sweeper in safe mode, select ATI and click "clean". Reboot.

Driver Sweeper:
http://downloads.guru3d.com/downloadget.php?id=1655&file=7&evp=c14f9f3787877eef9ef4b235b9146e96

Install this driver set:
http://www.fileshack.com/file.x/18350/ATI+Catalyst+10.4a+Preview+Driver+-+Windows+7+&+Windows+Vista

ALSO, you might want to try updating your chipset driver.

Here is the direct link for your chipset driver based on your motherboard and OS:
http://download.gigabyte.us/FileList/Driver/motherboard_driver_amd_chipset_8-series_win7.exe

OK, that's all I can suggest for now.

Try that stuff and report back.
 
Back
Top