Am I crazy or is my new PSU dead?

fubak

Supreme [H]ardness
Ok, I'm working on my brother-in-law's PC. He explained an issue to me and I told him to replace the PSU. He replaced it and the new one didn't seem to make any difference. So, I told him to return it and get another one. In the meantime I convinced him to upgrade.

So, I just replaced the mobo, cpu, and memory. Plugged up the PSU and the only thing that happenned was the cpu fan "twitched". It didn't do anything after that. If I unplug the power cord, then plug it back in; the fan will twitch on the first push of the button. But nothing happens after that.

It's got to be the PSU, but I want to make sure I'm not crazy...

Is everything seated correctly? Bad power cord? On/Off switch on PSU? (I've done this.. :p ) Gremlins? Curse? Bad luck? :D

Could be a short. The thing I usually do in this situation is take everything out and lay it out on a test bench/cardboard. Try to isolate the problem by trying old parts.

Make sure switch is in correct spot (dumb i know), make sure 12V connections are in place, maybe possibly the 4 pins alongside your 20 pin ps connector (if so)? Another thing is check the cmos jumpers. Make sure they are in the right position.

I'd say check for a short. I was working on my daughter's pc to replace some noisy fans and when I hooked everything back up and powered up, all I got was a twitch in the case fans. Thought I fried something and was about to throw the thing out the window when I decided to make sure I had hooked everything back up correctly. Low and behold, I had hooked a case fan to 2 different 4 pin power plugs. Once I fixed that, problem went away.:D

Test the psu with the green to black trick to see if it is ok. Also make sure everything is plugged in correctly. then try to power up with the bare minimum needed.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.362342

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148194

I tried everything I could think of, but I was short on time and had to give up. I told him to take it to his local computer shop and ask them to diagnose it, but don't buy anything from them. I basically want them to replace parts until they figure out what's wrong.

Edit: I don't have the PSU in front of me, but it was a late model ATX. It had the ATX 1 and 2 connectors.

Did you check cmos jumpers? And make sure they are on 1-2 and not 2-3 (clear)?

hmmmm power supply tester? i love them...

i would just try another power supply. make sure u clear everything before u turn it back on. if it twitches then there is power sortta and could have a rail failure

wait did u remember to seat it and not reverse the psu hookup 24 pin? make sure u dont mess that up. also dont forget the northbridge power homie!

could be shorted from an extra motherboard stand-off. should have tried to stoke it up outside of case.

It's impossible to do that. The cable is keyed and will only fit in one way.
Assuming it's of decent quality. I have an Ultra V-Series PSU where at least the 20-pin connector can be plugged in backwards into some mobos with lousy connectors on them. Ultra's instructions even recommended doing that:

162254128_0afe038266_b.jpg

Including for the floppy drive:

162248810_f0d2c555b2_b.jpg

Back