alright i switched to intel

ryuji

2[H]4U
the cpus still in transit.. along with motherboard.. im just curous how far a 2.4c can do with 275 mhtz ram... my friend says 4 ghtz but i dont know if i can believe him
how about compareing 2.4c max oc to 2.6 ghtz athlon xp this is replacing

You'll never get it that high.

3.6 is about the highest they go.

gwai lo said:
chips aren't guaranteed to be able to oc a certain amount...

http://www.cpudatabase.com/CPUdb/Showdata.cfm might help

Agreed. Chips are guaranteed to run at the speed they are rated for, no more. If you do get it to run faster, good for you, but you shouldn't *expect* to be able to overclock any one chip to a certain level just because the ub3er l337 Rob on the [H] Forum says he can get his 1.7 P4 to 4 Ghz "Without even a heatsink and fan! Seriously!"

Granted, certain chips have a reputation for generally being able to run in a certain range of speeds given the right circumstances and hardware components, but each one is different and you may not be able to run your computer above stock speed no matter what you do.

Good luck, though.

Buckus said:
If you do get it to run faster, good for you, but you shouldn't *expect* to be able to overclock any one chip to a certain level just because the ub3er l337 Rob on the [H] Forum says he can get his 1.7 P4 to 4 Ghz "Without even a heatsink and fan! Seriously!"

LOL... thats great. Well said.

There are some instances of the 2.4C going into the 3.4+ range, but that isn't the norm. 4GHz isn't going to happen without phase change cooling.

so ~3.2-3.6 is the norm... still a improvment over 2.6 ghtz athlon-xp :p esp at that fsb maybe with some luck ill get 300 fsb

i plan on getting either a xp-90 or a xp-120.. havent decided which yet found xp-120 for $50 tho :D :cool:
im gonna see how far stock volts and sink gets me.. ill go from there :D

Sir-Fragalot said:
There are some instances of the 2.4C going into the 3.4+ range, but that isn't the norm. 4GHz isn't going to happen without phase change cooling.

not to mention it wont be used as an everyday system.

ryuji said:
so ~3.2-3.6 is the norm... still a improvment over 2.6 ghtz athlon-xp :p esp at that fsb maybe with some luck ill get 300 fsb

3.2 to 3.6 is not the norm. My 2.4 would only do 3.1, and many people's wouldn't even do that well. You're setting yourself up for disappointment with such high expectations.

ryuji said:
i plan on getting either a xp-90 or a xp-120.. havent decided which yet found xp-120 for $50 tho :D :cool:
im gonna see how far stock volts and sink gets me.. ill go from there :D

the stock heatsink, with stock voltage will be good till about 3.2-3.3ghz

Jonsey said:
3.2 to 3.6 is not the norm. My 2.4 would only do 3.1, and many people's wouldn't even do that well. You're setting yourself up for disappointment with such high expectations.

i would say 3.2-3.3 is the norm, the good ones did 3.4+. I wouldn't say many people's wouldn't even do 3.1, i would instead say many people stopped at 250fsb, 3.0ghz for a nice easy safe oc, they never tried higher. I would say yours is an odd bad egg, since most 2.4c's i've seen and owned can do 3.2ghz+

PureBooYah said:
i would say 3.2-3.3 is the norm, the good ones did 3.4+. I wouldn't say many people's wouldn't even do 3.1, i would instead say many people stopped at 250fsb, 3.0ghz for a nice easy safe oc, they never tried higher. I would say yours is an odd bad egg, since most 2.4c's i've seen and owned can do 3.2ghz+

Maybe that's just my inner pessimist coming through. :p

It just sucks to see someone buy a CPU based on what they think it should overclock to, and then being disappointed.

Jonsey said:
Maybe that's just my inner pessimist coming through. :p

It just sucks to see someone buy a CPU based on what they think it should overclock to, and then being disappointed.
thats what rma is for.. id be happy with 3.3 but 3.6 would be muahahahaha! :D
i know not to expect more then 800-1000 mhtz but 2.4c's are supposively special in that aspect

ryuji said:
thats what rma is for.. id be happy with 3.3 but 3.6 would be muahahahaha! :D
i know not to expect more then 800-1000 mhtz but 2.4c's are supposively special in that aspect

That's not what RMA is for. That kind of crap doesn't help to do anything but increase costs of CPU's. Why? Because you are increasing cost of operations for Intel or AMD if your an owner of AMD CPU's.

I think that's BS. You shouldn't buy a CPU that won't give you the minimal performance you desire at stock speeds.

i guess you got a point... i wasnt really planning on rmaing it anyway... either way ill go with the better system in the end and sell off the parts to the other one

I would say 3.0-3.4 is common, though it's often the memory and/or the memory/fsb ratio's that seem to effect the PAT timings in some way that makes it tough OC more than the cpu itself.

depends if you get one with 30 caps on the pin side of the processor. Those will get you around 3.0 to 3.6ghz depending upon your definition of "stable". The ones without usually are pathetic overclockers, usually around 2.8ghz or so if you maintain a rigid definition of stable.

i have a 2.4c and i hit 3.0ghz with pc2700 ram, no problems. havent tried any higher... probably wont until i get better ram.

First 2.4C that I got wont overclock past 3.2 ghz, now this one overclocks to 3.4 ghz.

I had a 2.4C that wouldn't go past 2.6GHz. :eek: Believe me at the time my system had everything else it would have needed to go faster than that. The CPU just wouldn't do it.

DCshoeCoUSA said:
i have a 2.4c and i hit 3.0ghz with pc2700 ram, no problems. havent tried any higher... probably wont until i get better ram.

have you tried 5:4 at 2.9V vdimm and over 200FSB?

Sir-Fragalot said:
I had a 2.4C that wouldn't go past 2.6GHz. :eek: Believe me at the time my system had everything else it would have needed to go faster than that. The CPU just wouldn't do it.

This is a bit off-topic, but why did you go LGA775?

Sir-Fragalot said:

funny that you say that, when i first built my pc i had my 2.4c in my ic7-g and no matter what i did it would not go past 2.7ghz. i updated the bios and now im at 3.4ghz :D

ScHpAnKy said:
This is a bit off-topic, but why did you go LGA775?

Intel has a retail purchase program, which allows retail employee's (I work part time for a computer retailer) to purchase a bundle consisting of a motherboard CPU and a full version of Windows XP professional for next to nothing. (SERIOUSLY CHEAP). They let you do this once per year or once every six months. The frequency of the offer depends on a few things.

I had a 3.0E overclocked to 3.4GHz, and I eventually wanted to go SLi. So I went with the model 550 LGA 775 cpu which was less than cheap, and I'm using the Intel board from the bundle temporarily until an SLi capable Pentium 4 board comes out.

In addition with a i925X/i925XE board, you can use the 64bit Prescott's which are shipping to OEM's now. Dual core CPU's according to Intel so far will be direct drop ins on LGA775 motherboards. (So they say)

Plus I felt like building a whole new rig. So I bought everything new, down to the last wire. I sold my high end Socket 478 parts off to recoup a good portion of the cost to upgrade. I had had my P4C800 Deluxe since the first week of the i865/i875P release. So my P4C800 Deluxe was built before the later P4C800-E Deluxe replaced it. My memory was the same. Early PC3200 CAS 2.5 memory. I wanted to upgrade, but didn't want to invest another cent in older technology.

In retrospect I probably would have kept my ram or purchased some XMS Corsair DDR ram, and gone with the A8N-SLi and an Athlon 3500+. The cost for me has been a bit less for me with the route I did go, but I was hoping some SLi compatible boards would have come out now for P4, besides that crap Gigabyte board that only supports DDR1 and is no where to actually be found for sale.

SLi doesn't need the NForce chipset, all it needs is two mechnical x16 sockets (one of which is usually x4 or x8 electrically) and this has been proven on Turnwater based motherboards and Gigabyte's own i915x board. All it would take is for Asus or Abit to grab the i925X/i925XE chipset and make a board with the needed slot configuration and build the SLi connector that would bridge the two video cards together. But alas no DAMN manufacturer has gotten off of thier ass and done it.

acascianelli said:
funny that you say that, when i first built my pc i had my 2.4c in my ic7-g and no matter what i did it would not go past 2.7ghz. i updated the bios and now im at 3.4ghz :D

I tried every BIOS the P4C800-Deluxe had at the time. Never could I go above 2.6GHz :eek:, but I sold that chip, and the buyer contacted me and told me he got INSANE speeds out of it off of air cooling.

So sometimes the combination works out that way. In my case I believe it was the early version of the P4C800 Deluxe (Predates P4C800-E Deluxe) and the all too familiar vcore issues that were keeping me from getting better results out of that cpu.

The Asus board has better VDIMM voltages than the Abit, but crappy VCORE. So depending on what your combination of parts needs, you would do better with one board vs, the others. On that board my 3.0C topped out at 3.55GHz and my 3.0E would hit 3.43GHz no problem and would post at 3.6GHz but wasn't stable. I suspect it was due to my memory's inability to go beyond 227MHz FSB@ 1:1. For some reason my memory didn't like to do the 5:4 thing at all.

Buckus said:
If you do get it to run faster, good for you, but you shouldn't *expect* to be able to overclock any one chip to a certain level just because the ub3er l337 Rob on the [H] Forum says he can get his 1.7 P4 to 4 Ghz "Without even a heatsink and fan! Seriously!"
Sigworthy material at it's best.

MemoryInAGarden said:
That's very, very normal. I'd say you'll top out 3.3-3.4 depending on PAT settings and voltage
whats your settings... ill plug em in and give it a shot im running it in a ic7 my friend loaned me because my mobo came defective the msi board got 3 ghtz also but it seemed the ich5 was screwed up unless you consider 7 fps in ut2k4 normal :rolleyes:

Back