Alpha protocol troubleshooting

spugnor

[H]F Junkie
Joined
May 2, 2001
Messages
11,220
Starting this because i cannot get the game to work. And i bet i am not the only one having issues. So, have an Alpha Protocol problem? Post it here, and maybe the guru's of the [H] can fix it. God knows sega can't find their ass using both hands.

Anyway, here's my issue.

Game installed, and activated just fine. When clicking the launcher or the exe directly, the game crashes with a visual c++ window stating "the application terminated in an unusual way."

Tried almost all of the suggested "fixes" on the sega site, and have a trouble ticket open, but i do not have high hopes. Been seeing a lot of posts on other message boards stating the same issue.

I am running XP-64, fully updated, with current video drivers. As per the sega recommendations, i have updated visual c++, some OAL drivers (as per the sega site), updated physx (and video drivers).

The only thing i have not been able to update is the .net framework 2.0. I'd rather not have to go through all that, as that is a fairly involved process. If someone can tell me that will definitely fix the problem, i will bite the bullet and do it. But i am not playing "shotgun the problem and maybe it'll go away."

Based on the error message, it sounds like a problem with visual c++, or the game itself. Having already updated and applied security updates to the visual c++, i am unsure of what to try next.
 

JayteeBates

[H]ard|Poof
Joined
Jul 21, 2007
Messages
4,899
XP-64 never did have the best 3rd party software support. If possible changing to Win7x64 would probably solve your issue. However I realize you may not want to upgrade an OS for one game. FWIW I ran it on Win7x64 zero problems on sig rig.
 

spugnor

[H]F Junkie
Joined
May 2, 2001
Messages
11,220
Found out the issue. If i delete the .lic file and some .jpg file and launch the game from the CD, after entering my serial number, it works. Or rather it did, about 5 times (the activation limit). Yay for DRM fucking the legitimate customer again.

What's even more sad, is i found this information on the official AP forums as a work around. GG sega. :mad: How about a fix sometime this effing year.
 

Q-BZ

Fully [H]
Joined
Sep 28, 2007
Messages
19,390
Found out the issue. If i delete the .lic file and some .jpg file and launch the game from the CD, after entering my serial number, it works. Or rather it did, about 5 times (the activation limit). Yay for DRM fucking the legitimate customer again.

This is bizarre. I still think XP 64 is probably what bit you in the ass here primarily.

As bitchy as this game can be...and believe me it is...it really should have just been install, enter serial number, and go.


What's even more sad, is i found this information on the official AP forums as a work around. GG sega. :mad: How about a fix sometime this effing year.

I doubt I ever see jacksquat support for this game which is a shame because a robust patch would really make a huge difference IMO.

I'll be rendered speechless in amazement if I ever see a bone thrown at this game.

As it stands, I still enjoyed it despite some of the lack of polish and quirks. The potential I saw in this thing was incredible and I'd love to see a part 2 some day that really goes to the wall with said potential.
 

spugnor

[H]F Junkie
Joined
May 2, 2001
Messages
11,220
Well, the DRM issue fix that worked for me, has worked with XP-32, win 7 32 and win 7 64. Doubt it is an OS issue. It may have something to do with the game not being installed on the C partition, but if that's the case they need to fire every programmer on the staff.

Other than specifying the D partition (that's my app partition), it was a normal install.
 
Top