all users disabled in vista

ziddey

Supreme [H]ardness
There's a computer that's located remotely, running vista. The problem is that somehow all the accounts (user and admin) have been disabled. How to get it up and going again?? Know the commands to use when recovery mode? Or must reinstlal?

Stumped..

Interested to hear what others come up with.

When I get more time I'll be sure to head back by here and do some research on that..

Vista may be preventing you from messing with them depending how you are "remotely" managing it.

Do you mean nobody can log onto the computer, anyway at all, because the accounts are disabled?

right. I couldn't remote into it anyway because of some sort of firewall. But now all the users are disabled. I think I'm just going to say reformat. bleh

i know its probably not it, but any chance you just have to activate windows?

my 30days wher eup yesterday (i was waiting to activate until i knew everything was working great)..

it may not be it, but just worth asking

right. I couldn't remote into it anyway because of some sort of firewall. But now all the users are disabled. I think I'm just going to say reformat. bleh

Can the user log in locally with any user? Does the error message specifically say "account is disabled?"

it's not activation. it's an oem dell with slic preact. someone said they disabled all users. when you try to logon locally, it says the account is disabled. oh well, no biggie I guess. Just sending the word to reformat. Didn't want to at first because dell doesn't ship reinstall discs anymore unless you pay, but I think I found the necessary certificates to reapply the royalty activation

I know of tools to change the passwords- but this doesn't make sense.

XP won't let you disable all the accounts on the computer... which is odd.

There may be a registry setting that sets the account status you could modify, but I am unsure what it would be or where it would be at.

If you don't have anything on there that is critical, I guess reformatting might be the easiest way to do it.

The administrator account should still work disabled. There used to not be any way to lock that account out, not sure if it is that way still in Vista! Is this PC on a Domain? Why not login as a Domain Admin and fix it if so?

Hmm I'm not sure I agree with you on the administrator part. Or are you saying if it has a password? To my knowledge, the admin account didn't have a password, and so wasn't usable to log in. The same is true in winxp in later sp's iirc. It was considered a serious loophole.

As for domain controller, this was a private pc, so no domain.

Back