All this talk about HDTV(ps3, xb360).. Who's gonna buy one?

kmanuel

Weaksauce
How many people are really gonna upgrade to a Hdtv to play ps3, xb360 in HiDef?
I think most of use will hook the unit up to a computer monitor (if they have dvi).

<-- has had HDTV since.. ohh... 2000?

BarcoGraphics 800 CRT projector..... :p

I have a Panny LCD that does 720p as its native resolution and upconverts to 1080i. Hearing all this 1080p talk makes me want to upgrade, but I don't know if that increased resolution is worth all the extra $$$$$. If I can buy a cheap 1080p set(which I highly doubt) anytime in the near future then I'll go and upgrade, but for now I guess I'll stick with the Panny.

720p or 1080p at 45 inches will equal ZERo difference. increase the screen to 100+ inches than you WILL notice.

figgie said:
720p or 1080p at 45 inches will equal ZERo difference. increase the screen to 100+ inches than you WILL notice.
Well then I see no reason to upgrade. :cool: I have a 50inch set BTW.

figgie said:

Actually, it depends more on the quality of the set/projector. You WILL notice a difference between 720p and 1080p with a nice 3-chip DLP set that can do 1080p. And if you want 1080p on a 100+ inch screen be prepared to pay at least $15k for a projector.

1080i/p is moot right now, unless you got a screen larger than 70" is what I've been reading. But if you got the $$$$$ more power to ya. I sure don't. Though getting 62" DLP at the end of the month for new house, so I will be ready come November!

rogue3092 said:
Actually, it depends more on the quality of the set/projector. You WILL notice a difference between 720p and 1080p with a nice 3-chip DLP set that can do 1080p. And if you want 1080p on a 100+ inch screen be prepared to pay at least $15k for a projector.

not if you are watching the pj at 45 inches you can't. 15k? that is cheap man ;)

I currently have a HDTV big screen projection TV for movies/tv and an old 20" for my consoles.

For the upcoming new consoles I WILL be getting a smaller HDTV for them.

I might spring for a 20" one. My wife and I never watch television, so anything more is a waste.

I have a 1080i set now, but I am trying to wiggle my way into a nice 720P DLP set before football season :)

Already did (theoretically) I own a 1080p 24" HDTV that is the Dell 2405fpw. I guess I can only wait and see what next gen games look like, I know 720p xbox games look pretty damn good on it, can't wait to see 1080p on the PS3. I don't watch TV and for widescreen movies I only lose less than an inch from my old 27" TV vs the 24" Dell, not to mention gain progressive scan, richer colors, sharper image, no tube geometry distortion, crt refresh flickering (which is still just as prevelant on CRT HDTV's) .

I think i'm just going to buy whatever i need to hook it up to my computer monitor. once that new LCD tech comes out where you can buy a 40"+ set for ~$400 then i'll be getting one of those.

figgie said:
<-- has had HDTV since.. ohh... 2000?

BarcoGraphics 800 CRT projector..... :p

only HDMI output on the ps3...

i take it you've noticed this as well... wonder what the crt guys are gonna say on the avsforums about that one ??

what a blow :(

Verge said:

i take it you've noticed this as well... wonder what the crt guys are gonna say on the avsforums about that one ??

well hopefully soon digital PJ will catchup to what the CRT pj does so nicely already ;)

Verge said:

There has to be some kind of conversion box for HDMI to composite.

peacetilence said:

there probably is but be preapered to pay out the waazoo for such a convertor.

i already have a 40" HD DLP TV it is so worth the price, HD is awesome, everyone else in my dorm is so jelous

I have had my 57" Sony for a bit over a year now, and my 32" Samsung HD for about 2.5 years.

I am ready.

i got my 2405 for that plus a 5.1 receiver i'm gunna get to hook all this up when it comes out

figgie said:
there probably is but be preapered to pay out the waazoo for such a convertor.
Yeah I'm sure that there is going to be one, Nintendo released a DVI cable for the GC along with a component cable Sony had a componet cable for the PS2.

I will be buying a 30inch 720p LCD TV later this year although it's not for the consoles (using it more with an HTPC) but I guess thats just a fringe benefit. :D

I just made the jump to HDTV (the one in my sig). I love it. Not only will I be able to hook up the XBOX 360 and do some 720p gaming, but right now I have my PC hooked up through DVI SO i can play WoW in 720p and any HL2 / source engine games in 1080i.

CrimandEvil said:
Yeah I'm sure that there is going to be one, Nintendo released a DVI cable for the GC along with a component cable Sony had a componet cable for the PS2.

Have you seen those GC cables anywhere. Nintendo.com says they are backordered till june and I have looked everywhere, with no luck at all.

For now and the near future, I'm just going to stick with PC gaming.
But if anything, I would get the PS3.

bonkrowave said:
right now I have my PC hooked up through DVI SO i can play WoW in 720p and any HL2 / source engine games in 1080i.
Damn right. :)

Have you seen those GC cables anywhere. Nintendo.com says they are backordered till june and I have looked everywhere, with no luck at all.
You might have a few problems even if you find one, Nintendl stopped supporting the component cable with consoles released after May 04 cause not alot of people bothered with it, the DVI cable even less. I'm not sure if support for the DVI cable was removed too but I know you're going to have a hellova time trying to find one, they're suppose to be pretty rare.

CrimandEvil said:
You might have a few problems even if you find one, Nintendl stopped supporting the component cable with consoles released after May 04 cause not alot of people bothered with it, the DVI cable even less. I'm not sure if support for the DVI cable was removed too but I know you're going to have a hellova time trying to find one, they're suppose to be pretty rare.

Ok thank you, I was aware of a component cable, but not DVI. Oh well I guess I will just kepp looking.

I have had a HDTV for over 2 years now. So I have just been waiting for the consoles to catch up to me. :p

I already have my setup...

42" Pioneer Elite Plasma HDTV

Integra 6.1 THX reciever

4x Infinity Kappa ( 1" tweeter, 4" mid, 10" bass on each ) surround ( special order, not the crap you buy at circuit city :p )

1x Infinity Kappa Center

1x 12" 500w subwoofer

----

Sure beats playing Half Life 2 on a 19" CRT with 4.1 logitech surround :p But PC gaming has t3h keyboArD and MOWSE!!!!111

hey guys, im very interested in an HDTV. since i dunno jack about 'em.. what would you say is the best for under $1500?

Jason711 said:
hey guys, im very interested in an HDTV. since i dunno jack about 'em.. what would you say is the best for under $1500?

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/

All you need to know. Just spend a couple weeks/months there researching and learning everything you can. If it has to do with TVs/projectors/audio/satellite/hdtv/etc..., you'll find it there.

I'll be picking up a Sanyo Z3 once I get my basement finished (hopefully in the next 2 months), and it's great news to me that the x360 requires all games to support 720p, which is the Z3s native resolution. I was planning on getting the x360 anyway, but I'm glad to hear that it will match up perfectly with my projector.

I already have a nice 42" Plasma HDTV :)

My parents have a couple of HDTV's too.

Not only do computer games look unbelievable on them, actual HDTV programming is so clear it's amazing. I'd recommend one to anyone.

peacetilence said:

yea, they'll be real cheap too :(

there are millions of RP-HDTV compatible sets out there, without DVI or HDMI inputs, sony will surely have to come out with something to take advantage of all these things. Heck, you can still go to bestbuy and shell out 2,000 for a TV, and not get a digital input ?

wtf sony

I have a zenith 20" black and white??? You mean these things come in COLOR now???

Back