All Myspace Data Before 2016 is Gone

AlphaAtlas

[H]ard|Gawd
Staff member
Thanks to a "faulty server migration," MySpace has lost all data uploaded to the site before 2016. MySpace users started noticing the problem over a year ago, but tech support staff only recently started acknowledging that users' data may never come back. The Guardian claims "50m tracks from 14 million artists have been lost," and according to one of their articles from last year, the site still has many dedicated users.

Some have questioned how the embattled company, which was purchased by Time Inc in 2016, could make such a blunder. "I'm deeply sceptical this was an accident," wrote the web expert Andy Baio. "Flagrant incompetence may be bad PR, but it still sounds better than, 'We can't be bothered with the effort and cost of migrating and hosting 50m old MP3s.'" Myspace initially claimed the deletion was a temporary error, with customer support staff telling one user: "I have been informed the issue will be fixed." But by July last year it was publicly acknowledging that no such fix was forthcoming.

Artists-schmartists.. what about my glittery, html inline h@x0rd, blog and picture upload from years and years ago?!

cat-lg.gif

addicted-to-myspace-glitter-graphic.gif

cutesaying52.gif

Now they are at the point of just deleting user data to be noticed and get into news articles?

I do miss mypace though, that's when social networking was sorta fun.

Ok, so that explains why my high school music "experiments" haven't been able to be played in 2 years. :(

Gotta find my old IDE drives and see if I have the originals, still.

Good thing I said forget it when all my peeps moved from Friendster to MySpace...

Reactions: DocNo
like this
Before the flood of computer illiterate, propaganda-regurgitating and gullible boomers, children and spammers came along. I even had a Bebo once lol

I believe i started on xanga iirc. Facebook was cool when it was .edu email required for an account. Before memes and it was just small posts or photos. You acutally could keep in the loop in peoples lives.

Lets go sit on the porch and drink beer and yell at kids for a couple hours! lol

Thanks to a "faulty server migration," MySpace has lost all data uploaded to the site before 2016. MySpace users started noticing the problem over a year ago, but tech support staff only recently started acknowledging that users' data may never come back. The Guardian claims "50m tracks from 14 million artists have been lost," and according to one of their articles from last year, the site still has many dedicated users.

Some have questioned how the embattled company, which was purchased by Time Inc in 2016, could make such a blunder. "I'm deeply sceptical this was an accident," wrote the web expert Andy Baio. "Flagrant incompetence may be bad PR, but it still sounds better than, 'We can't be bothered with the effort and cost of migrating and hosting 50m old MP3s.'" Myspace initially claimed the deletion was a temporary error, with customer support staff telling one user: "I have been informed the issue will be fixed." But by July last year it was publicly acknowledging that no such fix was forthcoming.
And nothing of value was lost

Don't think I ever used MS, they probably don't have the budget to train the help not to unplug things.

Last edited:
I'll bring the canes so we have something to wave at them :p

I go back before any of these social media sites, as I started with a 300 bps dial up modem to CompuServe :eek:

Okay you win. My earliest I can remember was 14400 into the library using lynx to browse.

Reactions: N4CR
like this
Deleted everything before 2016? So there is literally nothing on myspace now?

But yeah I've been bit by this over the years, upload pictures of my aquarium, fish and corals over the year to a free image hosting site that I sign up with a throwaway yahoo spam holder email account that I only check to "verify email" or if I need a password reset, and of course that means I miss the announcement they are going to start charging and have 30 days to get what I put on there or buh bye... so yeah years of documentation gone, and now I just bite the bullet and always keep.originals on my computer

I liked the early days of MySpace. Back when you couldn't customize everything with auto-playing videos and ridiculous backgrounds.
The site was perfectly fine until NewsCorp decided that if 2 clicks = $ so 4 clicks must = $$$$. Once they started doing that and allowing users to customize everything it became unusable.
Facebook kinda sucked early on, but MySpace had gotten so bad that people would accept anything.

I wouldn't be shocked if they actually have the data, but its in state where they don't know how to put it back together. That's a lot of data of one team to loose. None of that is in a flat file structure, but in some sort of storage blob indexed by a DB. The real question is, which storage product where they using? Some cobbled together open source ZFS project or a real storage solution?

Last edited:
was it one of the old acoustic coupled modems? LOL i remember once a long time ago trying to help someone connect with one at a payphone :oops:
My original 300 baud modem wan't a coupler, it was for a TRS-80 Color Computer. I did have a friend back then that had a coupler modem (his dads) that we used to connect to the KFC mainframe and play a star trek game on a terminal that used thermal paper for a screen lol.

But remember, the new "cloud" solves the problem of having to worry about your data.

Ah man, all those bands that no longer exist.

Who stores anything important on a social media site?

It's no accident. Why host a bunch of illegal fan pages of uploaded music and user pictures that they know will never come back to the platform? Cost saving plan is all it is and it's about time..

I wish I could say it's smart of them, but also they still can't figure out how to reverse their awful layout to bring back at least a small part of the old community with customizable pages..

"The cloud" is just marketing spiel for "somebody else's computer or service"

Basically MySpace before someone figured out that if they called it the "The Cloud" and hyped it as something new, CEOs would spend billions to store corporate data on one.

The cloud will make everything better! Put your faith in incompetent nincompoops you can't fire instead of ones you can!

Back