All-In-Wonder X800

I just got the ATI All-In-Wonder X800 card and installed it along with the drivers. I bought it basically to play BF2, and the game suffers from constant lag. I'm not too sure why. I have 512mb of RAM, Intel P4 CPU overclocked to 2.38 ghz, MSI mobo and other things. I'm nearly positive that the lag is not coming from network and the only other thing it could be is the video card. Even on low settings, which make the game look terrible, the lag is still there.

Any help/suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks.

BF2 works a lot better if you have 1GB or RAM or more.

rofl man that's minimum system stats there. you really need at least 1.5 gbs of system mem and a 3 ghz cpu. BF2 is a resource HO-BAG for sure.

Ok, I did some searching, and came up with this solution, buy more RAM.

1 Gig RAM

Here's my comp specs in case you need to look at something...

asd9ye.png

asdfadfadfadf4pa.png

Hope that helps.

Thanks.

spaceman said:
rofl man that's minimum system stats there. you really need at least 1.5 gbs of system mem and a 3 ghz cpu. BF2 is a resource HO-BAG for sure.

Yeah I know, I was on a budget while building my first rig, as you pointed out. Now I have a better job, so I can upgrade.

More memory will defintely help. But.... I don't think the Celeron is helping any for games.

spaceman said:
And since I count......ZERO 3 GHZ CPU's on my side of the fence, that argument is moot.

I ran it with 512MB....granted it was on an fx5200 ;).

XpLiCiTReaLiTyxX, I have changed your thread title. Cussing in thread titles ("What the hell?") is not allowed here.

You definitely need more RAM. I would say 1GB minimum, and 1.5GB+ recommended.

Also, that Celery isn't helping your cause any. The 128K L2 cache is a killer for that chip. The Intel Netburst architecture that chip uses lives and dies by the size of the L2 cache. That is why all of the standard P4's made for quite some time have 1MB, or more, of L2 cache.

yeah ram definetly

you can get 2 gigs of ram for a good 100-145 if you bargian hunt

After that, visit the overclocking forum and try to push your celeron up to 2.8ghz or so.

Ok, so after my RAM came in today...I saw no difference in the game. It must be something else besides RAM and the video card itself. What one of my friends suggested was that maybe I had the wrong drivers installed, but I do in fact have the latest drivers installed. I'm pretty much clueless as to what to do next.

This is coming in when I get the money for it...but until then the Intel stays.

New CPU

If I were to do this my friend has an old 939 compatable mobo for it. Which is pretty sweet.

Any more suggestions would be nice.

Thanks!

A fresh install of Windows might help. Perhaps your Windows install is plagued by too much bloatware/viri/spyware/etc. Do you have a lot of programs running in the background when you play? You might try shutting every other program down.

Also, you can try to overclock your Celeron, if possible.

I don't think there is anything he can do to help out his system, short of a CPU upgrade. That 2.4 Celly is what's killing his performance. Sure, the video card and RAM should help to some degree, but if you take a look at this old review, you'll see that his 2.4 Celeron is trounced by an old Athlon XP 1700+. You can use the article index in the middle of the page to quickly flip between pages of the review, but it doesn't get any prettier. BF2 needs a fairly decent CPU, and that Celly is just murdering his performance.

Mloot said:
I don't think there is anything he can do to help out his system, short of a CPU upgrade. That 2.4 Celly is what's killing his performance. Sure, the video card and RAM should help to some degree, but if you take a look at this old review, you'll see that his 2.4 Celeron is trounced by an old Athlon XP 1700+. You can use the article index in the middle of the page to quickly flip between pages of the review, but it doesn't get any prettier. BF2 needs a fairly decent CPU, and that Celly is just murdering his performance.

Ouch...That's some good proof you got there. I think that just made a big difference in what my next upgrade is. CPU for sure. Thanks a lot for that one. With that in mind, it's time to start saving a lot. A 3700+ AMD with mobo sounds good right about now. I guess I'm gonna have to keep this rig just as an extra, maybe an overclocking project. This makes my new Video Card un-necessary because the new system is going to be PCI-E...Damn...oh well.

Thanks for the responses everyone!

You could use your current X800xt if you go with a S-939 A64 processor and use the ASRock Dual-Sata motherboard, which has both a full-fledged AGP and PCI-E slot, and is also dual-core compatible. That way, you don't have get rid of your new X800 just to go PCI-E. Here is the board in question. Pair it with an A64 3000+ and you've got a nice, cheap (but decently powerful) upgrade for your current hardware. You can use your X800 and the RAM that you just bought, and this way you can go PCI-E at your leisure. Also, you can save a bit of $$ over the 3700+, and the 3000+ will most likely easily overclock to 3700+ speeds.

Just my $0.02.

Back