All Frostbite 3 Titles From EA to Ship Optimized Exclusively for AMD

Isn't this more due to the fact that the APU leaves room for consistent access to memory from both the CPU and GPU front?

Nope. APU's in consoles are awesome because they include full-fat GPU's and real memory bandwidth; APU's in PCs are far less awesome because they're still limited to token GPU's and extremely limited memory bandwidth.

To get a real GPU, AMD or Nvidia, into a PC you won't be using an APU; and hell, you wouldn't want to. APUs come with fewer, usually weaker CPU cores.

When it comes to the performance side of the PC, AMD vs. Intel CPU (not APU) and Nvidia vs. AMD GPU makes little difference, and that's why this statement is so damning.

Optimized? You mean like AMD Gaming dEVOLVED(tm) title Hitman Absolution which had atrociously-performing in-game shadow SSAO, but when you disabled it and then turned on driver-level SSAO (only available on nVidia) you ended up with better image quality and much higher framerates? Like that kind of optimization?

Tested by SOURCE: http://alienbabeltech.com/abt/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=29819&start=10#p89717

aeq.png

By the way, isn't this a thread about AMD stuff? Why is it sitting in the nVidia subforum :eek:?

So?

BF BC2 looked way better on my 7970 Matrix Platinum then on GTX 670 or now GTX 580 Classy, despite that with both nVidia cards I had higher average and max fps. With everything maxed while running nVidia cards the IQ never came close to what I had with HD 7970. It was that bad for me, that it affected my tanker/chopper gunner scores because I had a harder time making out targets that were farther away or obscured by smoke/explosions and dust.

Last edited:
So?

BF BC2 looked way better on my 7970 Matrix Platinum then on GTX 670 or now GTX 580 Classy, despite that with both nVidia cards I had higher average and max fps.

Proof & source? Assuming one even exists other than placebo effect...

Too bad. Makes it even harder to buy games near release then. I just hope drivers can fix the performance penalties and it is not something we are stuck with forever. The engine was rather nice otherwise.

I tend not to buy games at release regardless but this solidifies the concept of waiting until they drop in price. I can't be bothered to check and see which hardware they decide to penalize and I won't be upgrading my hardware and swapping brands every time a new game comes out. So, it will just result in less money being made on my end. :D

So?

BF BC2 looked way better on my 7970 Matrix Platinum then on GTX 670 or now GTX 580 Classy, despite that with both nVidia cards I had higher average and max fps. With everything maxed while running nVidia cards the IQ never came close to what I had with HD 7970. It was that bad for me, that it affected my tanker/chopper gunner scores because I had a harder time making out targets that were farther away or obscured by smoke/explosions and dust.

So what you're saying is that the AMD card struggled to properly render objects further away, allowing you to see your opponents better than you should have?

/s

BF:BC2 is ancient and was replaced before either the GTX600-series or HD7000-series was released. Compare a modern game, thanks.

I find this hard to believe. This would be suicide sale wise, if they make it unplayable for Nvidia hardware. Optimized for AMD CPUs? The same license they use for X86 from intel?

So?
that it affected my tanker/chopper gunner scores because I had a harder time making out targets that were farther away or obscured by smoke/explosions and dust.

Thats because your AMD card still doesn't render smoke or rising dust right and the nvidia card made it the way it was mean't to be seen as in real life scenario. Hell that was a problem with the Original Battlefield 1942 Pacific Islands maps. Tanks would kick up green or no dust at all on my Radeon 8500. And sorry, as a long time ATI user from the Radeon DDR to the Radeon 1900XT, I am not buying the whole "better image" quality statement. That hasn't been true since the Geforce 8800 series came out. You also have more user control in the Nvidia Control Panel, specially the Vibrance color adjustment, making your colors "pop" on screen to your level you like. haha, skills.....Most Pro pc gamers turn their settings down for smoother play...

Back in the day when video cards had fixed-function pipelines (directX 8 and below) there was a noticeable difference between GPU vendors, but with DX 9 (and probably to a larger extent, DX10) the era of fixed-function pipelines was over. Now it takes a pretty keen eye (and I'm talking visual graphics engineer keen) and a host of engine-level debug tools to even notice a single pixel of difference.

Thats because your AMD card still doesn't render smoke or rising dust right and the nvidia card made it the way it was mean't to be seen as in real life scenario. Hell that was a problem with the Original Battlefield 1942 Pacific Islands maps. Tanks would kick up green or no dust at all on my Radeon 8500. And sorry, as a long time ATI user from the Radeon DDR to the Radeon 1900XT, I am not buying the whole "better image" quality statement. That hasn't been true since the Geforce 8800 series came out. You also have more user control in the Nvidia Control Panel, specially the Vibrance color adjustment, making your colors "pop" on screen to your level you like. haha, skills.....Most Pro pc gamers turn their settings down for smoother play...

Oh brother...fanboy much?

IQ was higher on the AMD card. Lower fps but higher IQ, get it?!?!

Therefore it was easier for me to pick out enemies in smoke, dust or at greater distance with my AMD card. On the other hand even though I had higher fps with my nVidia cards, IQ was way lower, despite everything maxed out.

Get your eyes checked? In some games its blatantly obvious.

Yeah, in some games they clearly look and run better with nvidia cards.. /troll post.

After owning so many amd and nvidia cards over the years, I can not tell the difference in games, when it comes to visuals. I find it hard to believe that your 7970 has lower fps averages than a 670 or 580.

Yeah, in some games they clearly look and run better with nvidia cards.. /troll post.

After owning so many amd and nvidia cards over the years, I can not tell the difference in games, when it comes to visuals. I find it hard to believe that your 7970 has lower fps averages than a 670 or 580.

Same here. More likely that engine compromises (ahem) make a difference than GPU vendor.

AMD's statement:

"It makes sense that game developers would focus on AMD hardware with AMD hardware being the backbone of the next console generation. At this time, though, our relationship with DICE and EA is exclusively focused on Battlefield 4 and its performance optimizations for AMD CPUs, GPUs and APUs," AMD representatives said. "Additionally, the AMD Gaming Evolved program undertakes no efforts to prevent our competition from optimizing for games before their release.”

So its not AMD saying that NV can not have the code before release its EA saying it.
Amidst the fray of E3 reveals and gameplay demos, EA announced a new partnership with AMD that could tip the scales for the chip maker's Radeon graphics cards. Starting with the release of Battlefield 4, all current and future titles using the Frostbite 3 engine — Need for Speed Rivals, Mirror's Edge 2, etc. — will ship optimized exclusively for AMD GPUs and CPUs. While Nvidia-based systems will be supported, the company won't be able to develop and distribute updated drivers until after each game is released.
http://uk.ign.com/articles/2013/06/18/all-frostbite-3-titles-to-ship-optimized-exclusively-for-amd

So its not AMD saying that NV can not have the code before release its EA saying it.

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2013/06/18/all-frostbite-3-titles-to-ship-optimized-exclusively-for-amd

LOL, you have got to be joking, your very own link says that NEITHER company is saying it. I quote from the link I quoted you posting here:

UPDATE: EA and AMD have issued a statement clarifying that while the two companies are collaborating on day-one support for Radeon products for Battlefield 4, the partnership is non-exclusive and gamers using other components will be supported.

“DICE has a partnership with AMD specifically for Battlefield 4 on PC to showcase and optimize the game for AMD hardware," an EA spokesperson said. "This does not exclude DICE from working with other partners to ensure players have a great experience across a wide set of PCs for all their titles.”

LOL, you have got to be joking, your very own link says that NEITHER company is saying it. I quote from the link I quoted you posting here:

Its about the Original Story: and how it was taken out of context.

Last edited:
So basically AMD gets first-in treatment, and EA adds things like TressFX and heavily promotes 4+ core operation. I can't see how this could be bad!

So basically AMD gets first-in treatment, and EA adds things like TressFX and heavily promotes 4+ core operation. I can't see how this could be bad!

It's only bad if Intel and Nvidia get locked out of the process, which is what the original quote implied.

While it looks pretty well refuted, I'm glad EA/AMD/Nvidia/DICE all got to see how the community responds. We're still pissed from the last time they pulled this shit, and it's not acceptable going forward.

You realize that AMD is completely locked out for all TWIMTBP titles? Is this okay with you?
I specifically remember discussion at OCN from some of Thracks where he stated that they are not allowed to interact with developers of TWIMBP games until after release. Specifically, they could not be involved with Planetside 2 / Witcher 3 whatsoever until after release.

I still feel like you're saying that it is okay for nvidia to do it, but its NOT okay for AMD to do it. You're applying a hypocritical double standard, period. Just for the record - I don't think anyone or either company should do it, but it can and will continue, period.

Double standard FTW, apparently.

Last edited:
You realize that AMD is completely locked out for all TWIMTBP titles? Is this okay with you?
I specifically remember discussion at OCN from some of Thracks where he stated that they are not allowed to interact with developers of TWIMBP games until after release. Specifically, they could not be involved with Planetside 2 / Witcher 3 whatsoever until after release.

I still feel like you're saying that it is okay for nvidia to do it, but its NOT okay for AMD to do it. You're applying a hypocritical double standard, period. Just for the record - I don't think anyone or either company should do it, but it can and will continue, period.

Double standard FTW, apparently.

Not at all, actually. If Nvidia does it, it's wrong. If Intel does it, it's wrong.

The point is that the original quote claimed quite publicly that they were going to work exclusively with AMD while excluding Nvidia. Hell, they were proud of it. If that doesn't hit a nerve.

perfectly true as stated above. i dont know about that spec person but the community has been all smily face when intel or nvidia pulls this stuff every day.

its all fair and its not about bad manners its about optimizing games for the best performance. period.

perfectly true as stated above. i dont know about that spec person but the community has been all smily face when intel or nvidia pulls this stuff every day.

its all fair and its not about bad manners its about optimizing games for the best performance. period.

I smile when AMD rightly beats the piss out of Intel or Nvidia. Just hasn't happened lately, and they've been behind enough to let the competition get 'out of hand'. At least Intel is mostly behaving.

I like both companies but AMD could use the help. With the update just posted by GoldenTiger showing nvidia is not excluded from being able to optimize their hardware for the title, it just tells me that nvidia's software development team will have a formidable force to deal with instead of the 3 or 4 usual driver coders from AMD, perhaps with Dice helping AMD optimize the drivers they'll be even since AMD's driver team is very likely much smaller than nvidia's.

I like both companies but AMD could use the help. With the update just posted by GoldenTiger showing nvidia is not excluded from being able to optimize their hardware for the title, it just tells me that nvidia's software development team will have a formidable force to deal with instead of the 3 or 4 usual driver coders from AMD, perhaps with Dice helping AMD optimize the drivers they'll be even since AMD's driver team is very likely much smaller than nvidia's.

And this is a very good thing. I wouldn't wish BF3 with Crossfire on anyone. AMD sold me my Nvidia cards (after I sold the AMD cards).

I've been looking at AMD for my next video card upgrade solely because of things like this...I fear that with both next gen consoles using AMD cards that most titles will be optimized for AMD...I wish one of the consoles would have used Nvidia like the current gen...this will be something to keep an eye on with almost all AAA titles starting in late 2013

damn I remember when almost every AAA title was sponsored with the Way it's Meant to Be Played logo...my how times have changed

Pretty sure that whatever the consoles are using is really a non-issue when it comes to choosing a PC graphics card. Games will run with all bells and whistles on both GPU brands.

As much as I am a fan of AMD/ATI, this is outrageous. :(

Why? This is exactly what happens with "TWIMTBP" titles for Nvidia.

Nvidia gets to play with the product during development and make drivers specifically optimized for said product.

AMD will need to do better than that cause waiting a week or two after a game's released for an updated driver is not too out of the ordinary. Bor-ring...:rolleyes:

the war against nvidia and pc gaming has begun.

The war ended before it started. Any optimization for AMD hardware in a console environment will be lost porting to a PC environment. Waging war would be what the initial quote for this story stated, that being Nvidia being completely locked out from accessing games in development, while AMD had full developer/programmer access. That was either never happening, or is now mostly off the table.

And it's not like it's in anyone's best interest; AMD would get sued for it, and EA/etc. would lose sales.

Why? This is exactly what happens with "TWIMTBP" titles for Nvidia.

Nvidia gets to play with the product during development and make drivers specifically optimized for said product.

I don't remember that being the way it worked, necessarily. I'm sure developers/publishers caved in to pressure from Nvidia, but that wasn't the norm; though it's not like AMD's driver team really helped combat that perception. Would they have been able to make optimized drivers before release even if they'd had full access?

That is actually the norm with any exclusive title, be it AMD or TWIMTBP. That doesn't mean that AMD or nvidia go out of their way to "fuck" with the competition. TWIMTBP titles are nvidia exclusive and AMD cannot interact with developers until after release, it has *always* been this way. That being said. I have to stress, this DOES NOT mean that games are sabotaged. That is what some in this thread are suggesting, which is absolutely absurd.

Perhaps brand preference is skewing the view of some. As well, this does not mean that the competition is being sabotaged in either case - that is not in the interest of a developer that wants to sell a game. If they want to sell a game, it should work great on both GPU brands, period. I actually find the suggestion that AMD to be fucking with nvidia quite absurd and funny, because AMD gaming evolved titles have been happening for over 3 years and they have all run just fine on nvidia hardware. This is aside from the fact that nvidia does the same thing - TWIMTBP titles give nvidia exclusive access during development, but that DOESNT mean the developer can't test their product on AMD cards. AMD developers just can't interact with them until after release, and generally speaking the QA department of the developer in question will test the game on both sets of hardware. Again, they want to sell a game. Broken games don't sell. BF4 is a gaming evolved title and is no different from the 70 other AMD GE titles that have been released. It will run just fine on nvidia hardware.

Last edited:
The war ended before it started. Any optimization for AMD hardware in a console environment will be lost porting to a PC environment. Waging war would be what the initial quote for this story stated, that being Nvidia being completely locked out from accessing games in development, while AMD had full developer/programmer access. That was either never happening, or is now mostly off the table.

And it's not like it's in anyone's best interest; AMD would get sued for it, and EA/etc. would lose sales.

The war is all about perception. Right now AMD's brand is viewed worse than Nvidia's this is why they they still are significantly behind on sales despite a head start last gen and selling at likely lower margins (offering more value). Whether or not Nvidia actually has advantages that have tangible benefits to the consumer to justify the higher prices is not even important as long as the market overall views it as such.

As such the actual advantage, that AMD is trying to leverage, with the console deals is from a PR stand point. Whether or not AMD GPUs or driver development benefits from AMD's design win in both consoles or better developer relations is not the most important factor but whether or not consumers believe it will.

For instance some consumers might be swayed to buy an AMD card at the moment over an Nvidia card because they feel it will be more future proof due to AMD's console design wins and so its brand now carries more value. Whether or not this is actually true at the end is not really relevant.

Back