Alittle suggestion perhaps about Core i7 build

Gobitenq

n00b
Im just ordering a completly new machine. Not using anything from my old one (its a athlon 64 3800+). I think Im going with the following components:

Case: Cooler Master ATCS 840
MB: Asus P6T (Would P6T deluxe and deluxe v2 be better? And if so why?)
Memory: Corsair 6gb (3KIT) DDR3 1600MHz/CL9/XMS3-12800 Triple Channel (Would the Corsair domminator 1600 mhz with 8-8-8-24 make alot of differnce vs the 9-9-9-24 ones?)
CPU: Core i7 920 (hoping to get around 3.5ghz with HT)
HSF:Noctua NH-U12P SE 1366
Power supply: Corsair 1000W HX CMPSU-1000HXEU
HDD1: Western Digital VelociRaptor 150GB
HDD2: 1TB Western Digital Caviar Black WD
GPU: Gainward Radeon HD 4870X2 2GB (Only since I can get this about 100-110$ cheaper than ordinary prize)
DVD: Samsung DVD±RW burner, SH-S223F

Computer will be used mainly for gaming with some minor compressing, ripping etc.

Any thoughts?

I´m sorry for the bad english. I´m swedish and in a bit of a rush since the GPU wont be avalible much longer :)

Doesn't look bad. The P6T Deluxe V2 simply removes the SAS functionality from the board entirely. If you need that feature, get the original. The memory timings probably won't make a real-world difference.

Looks pretty reasonable. Agree that the faster memory isn't worth the price difference, you won't see any real difference between 9 and 8.

RAM: There won't be a noticeable difference between the two. The Corsairs run at a higher voltage which is closer to the 1.65v limit, so I'd probably go with the G.Skill kit if I were you.

Power Supply: You don't need that much wattage. Try something like the PC Power & Cooling (there's a deal at ZipZoomFly for $75 AR) or the Corsair 750TX/850TX.

Otherwise, looks good. If you post in the "General Hardware" section, you'll get more responses/opinions.

The Asus P6T plain is supposed to be a great board (mine's coming in tomorrow), and is newer than the Asus P6T Deluxe. As far as the RAM, you won't see much of a difference as far as the timings go, so get the cheaper one and save the money. For the power supply, you don't need anywhere near a 1000 watt one. Get a nice 650-750 watt unit such as was recommended by PC_User (PC Power & Cooling or Corsair TX750). Your build looks great otherwise!

check out the ocz platinum mem kit, has better timings and can be had for about $100 for 6gb.
BTW, that case is bad ass!

Thanks alot guys for all the imput, it really helped alot. I went with the 1kW power supply since I was thinking of maby add another 4870X2 in the near future and got 2 alittle older 250 gb hdds just lying around so I figured I might throw them in aswell.

And a big reason for going with 1kW is that since I probebly wont use more than 50-60% (and thats at full load) of the power it´s hopefully pretty quiet :)

And a big reason for going with 1kW is that since I probebly wont use more than 50-60% (and thats at full load) of the power it´s hopefully pretty quiet :)

The 40-60% range of a PSU is where it's quietest and most efficient. :)

Noctua NH-U12P SE 1366 has no problem oc your 920 to 3.5 with HT. I'm at 3.8 with HT on, great cooler. Also good choice in case, I love my ATCS 840 :D

Ordered everything yesterday, hopefully I´ll get it by friday :D

Thanks alot for all the informative inputs guys, really helped me make up my mind, went with everything above, sadly i couldent get my hands on the OCZ platinum ram kit. Sold out in both stores I bought from so thats why I got the corsair kit.

Again thanks for all the help guys :)

Back